New owner to be - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17b
New owner to be

I am planning to place my deposit on a 17B this coming Tuesday. My friends and I toured the factory in September and were very impressed. In fact, the three of us will each order the 17Bs.
I have studied the build sheet, read the blog comments, evaluated the car I plan to get for towing, and this trailer seems right for me.

But I have a question I haven’t seen mentioned. I am in the US, and know I can use a credit card to make the deposit. But what method do US folks use to pay the balance in Canadian dollars? I’m sure it isn’t complicated, but the local bank I use doesn’t appear to deal with foreign currency, or if they do, they’re keeping it a secret. Does anyone have any advice?
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I sent them a personal check for the lions share of the balance although others do it other ways. It left roughly $800 for closing that also went on the card.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Hi, Doris. Welcome to Escape Forum!

There's actually been quite a bit of discussion on currency conversion. You should peruse the "Paper Escape" section for threads on this topic. Here's one thread to get you started:
US to Canadian Funds
Old 10-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I just sent them a personal check for an amount I estimated to be close to full payment based on the exchange rate when I wrote the check. As it turned out, we had about $200 Canadian remaining - that balance was put on the credit card. My understanding is that ETI will accept a personal check up to 60 days before completion of the trailer - after that time, wire transfer needs to be used. So the personal check option only works if you are comfortable paying the bulk 60 days before completion.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Glad that you all were able to make your decisions and you can go through the process together!

You can simply pay with cashier's checks, or personal checks earlier on. There is no need for you to deal in Canadian funds --- other than to see the big savings you will get! Just send money and they will gladly take it and their bank will convert it. Some people go to much more trouble but we did not. We paid our last few thousand on pick-up with regular cashier's checks from our US bank.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Welcome aboard Doris, and congrats on your upcoming order.

As others have mentioned, there is alot of discussion on payment methods here on the forum. Some use xe, some a broker, some a wire transfer, etc. Which method is best depends on who you ask. We just mailed a personal check. Easy and hassle free. Escape deposited the check in their Canadian bank and the bank did the conversion. We got an excellent conversion rate as well.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Send a check. Even sending it via registered mail (if you so desire) it's cheaper than the fees for a wire transfer. Or send it int'l express/priority. You'll get a tracking number for it that way, as opposed to just shoving stamps on there (and make sure you have the correct amount if you go that route - last time I checked it was over a dollar to mail int'l first class, one ounce).

I hand delivered our checks, but you won't have that option since you're a *tad* bit farther away than we are.

We had about a $200CND balance which got slapped on a card when I picked it up.

And congrats to all 3 of you! Now you can all caravan to various camping spots and amaze everyone you drive past.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 19'
We pay our deposit with personal check, if you ask, they can give you an estimate that will cover the deposit amount. Whatever is over goes into the balance... then we pay the bulk of the balance with personal check and leaving a small-ish (less than 3000 Canadian dollar) balance to pay in credit card when we pick up the trailer..

Just to be aware that they have a thing about total payment in credit card can not be more than 3000 for the whole trailer.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
[QUOTE=Doris;219088]I am planning to place my deposit on a 17B this coming Tuesday. My friends and I toured the factory in September and were very impressed. In fact, the three of us will each order the 17Bs.
I have studied the build sheet, read the blog comments, evaluated the car I plan to get for towing, and this trailer seems right for me.

Ain't that something! Everyone their own trailer. Going to be so much fun sitting around the table, each one filling out their own build sheet. Enjoy!!!!
Old 10-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris View Post
I am planning to place my deposit on a 17B this coming Tuesday. My friends and I toured the factory in September and were very impressed. In fact, the three of us will each order the 17Bs.
So you'll have your own rally group already assembled! How cool is that?

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Escape2Yukon

Greetings from the Yukon! Last week, we placed our deposit for a 19' Escape, and are now studying the build sheet and contemplating various options. (The postings on this owners' forum are really helpful too.) Looking forward to wonderful adventures near and far, once we pick up our trailer in Spring 2018! Lynn and Leo
Escape2Yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Great for you all, too! You should have a good time deciding on all of those options!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Congratulations Lynn and Leo! Lost to ponder, right? But very exciting.
And when questions come up, just ask here at the forum. Lots of knowledgable members.
One day I too want to escape2yukon