New owners seeking a little knowledge from all you vets - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2017, 07:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
New owners seeking a little knowledge from all you vets

My wife and I will be driving from Maine to Chilliwack to pick up our camper in June. We have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500. What programs do others have like triple A in case of vehicle breakdowns to get assistance in case of problems? Also these campers are not cheap, what do people do to prevent them from being towed off while your unhitched and using your truck for day trips? Finally has anyone ever made the long drive out.......any route suggestions and or must sees or must avoids?
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
My wife and I will be driving from Maine to Chilliwack to pick up our camper in June. We have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500. What programs do others have like triple A in case of vehicle breakdowns to get assistance in case of problems? Also these campers are not cheap, what do people do to prevent them from being towed off while your unhitched and using your truck for day trips? Finally has anyone ever made the long drive out.......any route suggestions and or must sees or must avoids?
Good Sam roadside assistance covers towing of the trailer as well as your vehicles.

Coupler or king pin locks provide some protection. Wheel boots provide additional protection. GPS tracking devices like the ALR-9 provide peace of mind as well as tracking the trailer in a theft situation. You will know almost immediately if the trailer is in motion, assuming you have a cell phone. All can be Googled.

And of course, must sees are subjective. Along the northern route I would classify Niagara Falls, the Badlands, the Black Hills, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Park as must sees. Unfortunately, Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP will not be open in June.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Check your spare tire, my 2014 Ram had a temporary spare, unsuitable for towing. I had to purchase a full sized wheel and tire and place it in the bed of the truck. I also carry battery cables and a small air compressor. Purchase a Trailer Aid https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....85238366148544
and enjoy the trip. Beartooth Highway is spectacular to take on the way to Chilliwack, maybe hard to travers while towing on the return trip. Best Western in Chilliwack is right next to Escape and offers an Escape discount. We also used a credit card that did not charge a foreign transaction fee, check your options and enjoy the trip, it will be worth it.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I also carry battery cables...
If you haven’t seen the NOCO lithium jump starters check them out. They are really nifty and have saved me a few times. My father and I both have the GB40.

https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those are really nice, but I'm still carrying my 50 year old cables and have not had to use them yet, I do not want to push my luck!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Two links for wheel locks....

The Flexible Anti-Theft Trailer & Vehicle Wheel Lock | Brahma Wheel Lock

Nemesis Professional Caravan Wheel Clamp | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line

There are a lot of hot springs in southeast British Columbia, southwest Alberta, western Montana and northern Idaho. Kaslo, BC is close to Ainsworth Hot Springs, Nakusp Hot Springs and Halcyon Hot Springs. The SS Moyie is a nice bit of history and the ghost town of Sandon, BC is also interesting.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have Good Sam, as mentioned they are supposed to tow both the truck and the camper if such is needed, I've only used their flat changing service so far. I only have the Road Side Service, not the rest of the stuff they offer.

As far as theft prevention, I use the ETI optional king pin locks, there are better available if you want, like the War-Lock, the one from ETI one is pretty basic. Or you can go all out and get one of the wheel locks as mentioned above. It just depends on how much you worry. I've never heard of one being stolen from a campground, but anything is possible. If I left mine in more theft prone areas I'd get something more heavy duty.

How long are you figuring to take for the trip, out and back?
Old 12-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
I have the Good Sam service others have used it. They DO get your tug AND tow to a safe location. Very good service. It also covers other vehicles so when my wife locked herself out of the car they helped with that too. AAA only covers your tug and NOT the tow.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I
AAA only covers your tug and NOT the tow.
Interesting. Here, in BC, my BCAA has an optional level that includes the trailer. I wonder if I loose that option if I use AAA in the states. Think I'll ask about that before my next trip.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You have the same coverage here in BC and in the US.
It's stated on the BCAA web site.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I go back and forth between AAA and Good Sam, whichever is providing the best deal although obviously the GS is geared more to coverage including the rv.
As far as anti theft I would google it and u will c many options. One does not have to spend a lot of money. I have a pin lock, wheel lock, and locking lug nuts. Ur goal is not to provide a “crime of opportunity.” If a professional wants ur stuff he will get it. U r just trying to deter the rank amateur or misguided youth. Chances r u won’t have a problem, if u take reasonable precautions.
Welcome and good luck!
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
AAA only covers your tug and NOT the tow.
I don't think that is correct...depending on the level of coverage elected. I used my membership to help my father out when he was stuck towing his Scamp. I ended up towing the trailer with my truck because it was equipped, but I asked the tow operator how he would have handled and he said he would have towed it. That all said, I'm not sure of the price difference between AAA and Good Sam...

www.aaa.com/aaa/115/benefits_comparison.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #13

I've wondered what the chances are of some out in the boonies towing service having a 5th wheel hitch for the trailer.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Might have to wait a bit longer, but they have contract trucks as well as their own.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 2.23.45 PM.png  
Old 12-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #15

Good to know. Hopefully that's part of the contract they have with GS.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I don't think that is correct...depending on the level of coverage elected. I used my membership to help my father out when he was stuck towing his Scamp. I ended up towing the trailer with my truck because it was equipped, but I asked the tow operator how he would have handled and he said he would have towed it. That all said, I'm not sure of the price difference between AAA and Good Sam...

www.aaa.com/aaa/115/benefits_comparison.pdf
It also depends on which local AAA you purchase your contract from. For example, trailer coverage is available (at extra cost) for me, but friends in a different service area cannot purchase coverage for anything but their tow vehicle. I checked with my local AAA & they stated their trailer coverage included the entire US.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
Eight years ago I was pulling a 19' Alpenlite 5th wheel trailer up the Maine coast when I lost a wheel. I called AAA and in 10 minutes they had a contractor with a flatbed wrecker on the way. They arrived an hour later and carefully winched the trailer onto the flatbed, and awaaaay we went. They took me a hundred miles to a campground of my choice and even lent me blocks to level the trailer. The service was absolutely flawless!
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
OOOoooooo! Those look so great. Have you used them? I wonder how they really work, especially in the cold snowy weather we have in Colorado in the winter....?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #19

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Quote:
My Also these campers are not cheap, what do people do to prevent them from being towed off while your unhitched and using your truck for day trips? Finally has anyone ever made the long drive out.......any route suggestions and or must sees or must avoids?
I use this coupler lock.
https://www.provenlocks.com/
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote