New to Escape... new to RV'ing... - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Decent description of the process to convert an appliance with a separate regulator. The Coleman Road Trip grill - unlike the common lightweight camp stoves of any brand - is readily converted because the regulator can be removed, leaving the flame control (on the front of the appliance) in place. Common stoves (Coleman and otherwise) combine the regulator and flame control into one device, so this approach doesn't work for them... even if you can find a point along the plumbing where the connection is a common pipe thread instead of something proprietary.

I note that if you have a Road Trip and you're willing to buy an extra set of the plumbing bits that Coleman puts on the back, you can have two easily interchanged setups,
  1. one for use from high pressure (from a one-pound cylinder or from a bulk tank with a hose and adapter) and
  2. one for use from low pressure (through a quick connector).

The disclaimer on the front of the second YouTube video is priceless.

One minor caution if following the first YouTube video: plumber's thread seal tape is PTFE, not silicone as described. If you need to be told this, or if you don't know to use yellow (thicker) instead of white (thinner) plumber's tape, I think you should probably do a little more research before actually building a rig like this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Here's a couple utube video's on converting a Coleman Roadtrip to the trailer quick disconnect. I've not tried pulling apart the Coleman stove to gas bottle assembly to see if it's the same. Might try it when we get back east.
I have seen these videos before, but it seems that that BBQ, which is way to big for our trailering needs, uses a different pipe size than all the smaller stoves. I have an extra coleman stove connector/regulator that I have looked in various places for something that will get me to a pipe size I can adapt too. I had considered doing a flared joint, but not sure the thick wall of this piece, or the metal it is made of, is conducive to this procedure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I think we're just going to follow your lead Jim and get a Spitfire 180 with a low pressure adapter. Done.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #64

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
But isn't that a grill and isn't the Coleman a stove? I have the weber grill but I still trying to decide on a camp stove. And I would like to buy one of those little campfire things.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #65

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think we're just going to follow your lead Jim and get a Spitfire 180 with a low pressure adapter. Done.
We did that and couldn't be happier. As an added bonus, in the winter (when the cover is on the trailer and we can only dream of camping), I hook up the Spitfire (with its stock regulator) to a cylinder on the covered porch and enjoy easy grilling.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
But isn't that a grill and isn't the Coleman a stove? I have the weber grill but I still trying to decide on a camp stove. And I would like to buy one of those little campfire things.
You're right; the Spitfire is a grill and not a stove. There is a griddle that will fit the Spitfire which takes care of pancakes etc., but not great for pot/pan dishes. As Jim Bennett noted in another thread previously, there is a fortune to be made when somebody starts selling a quality, low-pressure stove.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You won't be disappointed. We focus most suppers around using it now.

I just wish I had $10 for every one sold to Escape owners after I bought and reviewed mine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You won't be disappointed. We focus most suppers around using it now.

I just wish I had $10 for every one sold to Escape owners after I bought and reviewed mine.
After all the help you gave me when I was searching, I guess I do owe you a commission. Will a bottle of red wine do the trick? Thanks again, Jim!