New to RVs 2017 Escape 5.0 on order - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #21

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Sisababe, more then one person has gotten to know the UPS person way too well.
Ain't that the truth! My main UPS driver is Wade Brown. Yeah, we're on a first name basis. Same with the mail carrier (Ashland).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
FWIW, for me, the happiest moment in my Escape was one morning when I woke up and I was FREEZING! I mean REALLY cold. I sat up, flipped the lever on my primitive, analog thermostat and about 60 seconds later, heat came out. It was raining but my fiberglass shell doesn't leak so I got up, made coffee in my "one moving part" Aero Press, and got back under the covers. Honestly, I haven't been so happy in all my years.
You certainly are an easy to please fella.

Nothing like a fresh coffee from an AeroPress to start the day, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
....more then one person has gotten to know the UPS person way too well.
Until well after we had acquired our Escape, we had our son park his car across the street so the UPS, FexEx, and USPS trucks could have "reserved" parking in front of our house.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Hi labearit!
Welcome to the Escape family! We ordered our 5.0TA in Jan 2015 and picked up Sept 8, 2015. We weren't campers or even tenters before (although Charlie did VW Bus across the country several times in his youth!), so mostly we were total newbies. We both poured through the forum for several months before getting our build sheet ready, changing our minds adding and subtracting many times.
We did learn that the insulation works both for hot weather and cold weather. We did get the insulated walls and spray underneath, insulated windows everywhere except in the loft, so we can open the windows in the loft and run the max fan. That works great to let the cooler night air come in. Because we had no camping style yet we didn't know if we were going to dry camp much or want full hookups when available. But we did go with the dual 6 V batteries, solar and the big inverter. All of which we have used in the 2 long trips we have taken plus the shorter trips we did this fall. Our big trips were our maiden voyage when we picked up and after the one week trip out to pick up "Casa Blanca" we were on the road until Nov 10th (9 weeks).
We didn't get the oven but got the 2 burner stove which we had turned 90 deg. And we bought a toaster oven which we use on occasion, and for some trips we leave home. We knew we were going to be camping a lot and both felt we didn't need to hang clothes for camping so we got 2 extra shelves installed equally spaced. That plus the cupboards on either side of the bed make for plenty of clothing space. Of course, our first trip we were mostly over packed (mostly me) because we had summer, fall and winter weather to think about. We took our second big trip April 30-June 24... almost 8 weeks, leaving before the leaves came out at home and headed south. Most of our trip was spring and summer weather so I packed lighter... mostly!
But back to items we thought we'd need or not need.
We both have iPads and iPhones that need charging plus 2 Bluetooth speakers so 12v plug ins are a necessity. One on each side of the bed is very helpful. We also got a 12v tv so we had another placed where we had tv package installed, door side at the end of the bed.also one by the door so we can easily charge on the counter. Plus one more by the dinette.
We had 12 v drops put in most of the upper cabinets for additional mods down the road, which Charlie has used several.
We chose the u shaped dinette and had ETI install the Springfield pedestal which makes taking the table up and down easy. We did get 2 flip up tables at the end of each side , but that probably is the one thing we could have done without. Others use them a lot but we don't. Also another one at the side of the sink by the door. We use that a lot, while prepping food and doing dishes.
I am short, so I love the remote controlled maxx fan, which when we got ours was included with the smoke grey cover. Otherwise you need to turn it on and off at the fan itself and I'm not tall enough for that. We got the quick disconnect gas attachment which is quite handy for our Weber q grill. And the shore power plug in that screws on the outside. We got some other options but I am definitely rambling. I think I got most of the good things.
In our shorter trips this fall we did go to state campgrounds with with no amenities or just electricity quite a few times. So our "camping style" is evolving and every trip is a great experience. Right now our Casa Blanca is winterized and covered for the winter, (we got our first bit of snow the other day), and we are dreaming about where our next big trip will be come spring.
One thing that we have learned is to not just think about where you live, but where you want to go for your adventures with your new trailer!
Good luck on your build sheet, and after reading the forum take your best shot!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA (August, 2017)
Thumbs up

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas.
labearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You certainly are an easy to please fella.

Nothing like a fresh coffee from an AeroPress to start the day, eh?
Keeps my expectations in check. Anything after the basic needs are met is just gravy.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Keeps my expectations in check. Anything after the basic needs are met is just gravy.
Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button on these posts.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
And we do need good gravy for our poutine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
And we do need good gravy for our poutine.
Today however, for us "southerners," it's reserved for mashed potatoes and stuffing .
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I haven't ordered an Escape but recently had a custom home built. I had a budget so I had to decide what needed to be done and what could be left out. One rule I had was could it be easily added later? Adding shelves could be done later; moving the dinette, not so much. Another was to do the things I absolutely had to have (based on former homes and use of or lack of that thing. Things that didn't fit either rule (not absolutes and could be added later) were left out.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA (August, 2017)
Build Sheet Completed!

Earlier this week, we signed off on our build sheet after much research. Many thanks to those who responded to our forum posts and just the posts in general as they were most helpful in our deciding what to and what not to include.

We look forward to our mid-August trip to Chilliwack.
labearit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbies, pearls of wisdom