newbie from PEI - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
wcf

Re: newbie from PEI

Gocamp... that is what we call the fixed link. It is about 12 KMS long bridge. This bridge was built on land and a large barge was used to haul the pieces out in the water and put in place. We had to use a ferry untill this was built about 10 years ago. There was a big debate about how much this bridge would affect our Island way of life when built, a very politically charged debate at that.

Any one coming to Pei just contact me and I will try and help with the highlights to see, retired so have the time .
wcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #22
wcf

I just had a thought. my wife thinks i have too many of them!! maybe we could start up a stream for each province soo people from there or who has visited there can post all the great areas that one must see or do if visiting that province?
I know it would be helpful because we hope to start touring Canada and it might save a lot of research??

Or maybe a registry of people in each province that one could contact if necessary

Just a thought or two.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #23

I enjoy seeing new things and new places.

I have worked in most every village in the high arctic, the northwest territories, (before Nunavut was formed) Yukon and most of British Columbia, most of newfoundland, I have not been to Paulituk or alert bay in the north.
A few trips to Korea, japan and taiwan, mexico, and australia, It seems people from the west, like to travel and see things, more than easteners.
My wife has been to a few more places and countries than I.

During my working life before I retired, I and my family were relocated to new locations roughfly thirty times, you might say I went from dogs sleighs to jet airplanes.

Now my wife and I travel as a hobby. The escape 19 we are buying will most likely be used more for fishing and hunting camp than traveling, though it will make a few trips to Alaska, to visit friends over there. When we go into the mountains for Dahls sheep we will have to go back to small tents. sleeping on the ground no longer appeals to me.

Doug

Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcf
I just had a thought. my wife thinks i have too many of them!!
I try to avoid them, seems to only get me in trouble.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #25

Yukon, I have to step in an offer a few words. I've lived in PEI for 40 years and we have the world at our doorstep.....and more coffee shops per capita than anywhere in the country. Grew up in NL and spend many years in the wilds of Labrador. Having travelled the Yukon and spent time in all the "hot spots" our experiences are similar...except for Whitehorse which is a very nice, though small city. Planning to escape to NWT and Yukon again in 2012.
You obviously robbed yourself of a great experience by not taking the time to take in the sights, sounds and everything we offer tourists. We only get 1.3 million a year. Our summertime population just about triples to over 300,000.
We invite you back and look us up and we'll see about sending you home with better memories.

JerryCpei
Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Back to seafood....

Our long term plan involves a cross Canada trip and visiting P.E.I. ( but not parts infected with Green Gables ) and seeing friends in Nova Scotia.

I've never understood the appeal of lobster. It's not that I dislike it, I just don't get it. And it appears that it is force-fed over there.

So, what are the chances of ordering a feed of crab. I presume crabs exist on the east coast? I like mine without the garlic butter, so I can taste the crab. Or, in black bean sauce....

baglo
Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #27

If you come to PEI, we have crabs.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #28

That'll make me a happy camper.

baglo
Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #29
Geo

PEI sounds like a nice place to visit.
Is there a toll on the Fixed Link Bridge.
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
That'll make me a happy camper.

baglo
I almost forgot. Digby scallops. Have to be a few of those around.

And, I will try the lobster. Could taste entirely different in its home port.

baglo
Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanngord
Provinces like British Columbia can learn a couple of things about how to treat tourists from PEI - like:

1) provide a cycle path from one end of the province to the other.
2) let tourists into the province for free, but then charge them a toll to leave.
3) limit dangerous wildlife to raccoons and overhead geese.
4) have cool museums and historical sites but close them on weekends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo
PEI sounds like a nice place to visit.
Is there a toll on the Fixed Link Bridge.
Geo
They only charge the toll when you care to finally leave. We crossed in a sub-compact car for $40something - an SUV hauling an Escape is undoubedly more. British Columbia should put a toll at the Alberta border and do the same

G
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #32

British Columbia should put a toll at the Alberta border and do the same

G
[/quote]

We already do that. As a fly fisher and a resident of B.C. I can buy an Alberta fishing license for the same price as an Albertan. An Albertan, fishing in B.C. has to buy a premium non-resident license. And, an Albertan coming from the Crowsnest River ( where I like to fish and camp ) is likely to fish the Elk or a tributary, which is Classified water and requires an additional tag. The fee for me is $15, but for non-residents is considerable.
I've been surprised at the hospitality afforded me in Alberta, with BC vehicle plates. As in, I haven't yet found four flat tires when returning to my RAV.

baglo
Old 02-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: shanngord...Yes there's an additional charge per extra axle so "Our Escape Hatch" was $47. something leaving the Island...but IT'S WORTH THE TRIP!!! Just like the seafood and home baked buns at Fishermans Wharf in N. Rustico. YUMMMM. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
AMEN to PEI.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #34

Don't get me wrong - my wife and I would go back to PEI in a heartbeat. Whether we would drive across Canada towing the Escape is the question. We where thinking of flying into Halifax packing our touring bicycles and doing it that way. The island looks like a great spot for this if you stay off the main highway.

Baglo: as a former Albertan myself, but a BCer born and here the last 17 years I have seen people (mostly Albertans) come to this province to use the outdoor recreational facilities without spending any $$$ within the province. Unfortunately, what sticks in ones mind are the abusers of the system. In the winter, watch the parking lots that the snowmobilers use in the BC Rockies - 80% Alberta plates and often the ones making use of Search and Rescue services. Where I fish on the north coast - huge travel trailers (not Escapes) set up on any of the free ocean front campgrounds (Work Channel comes to mind) and staying the summer - every one that I saw on three seperate occassions was Alberta plates. (Perhaps on the ocean, Search and Rescue is the responsibility of Coast Guard, which in turn is federal, which in turn even Albertans pay for.)

There is nothing wrong with asking non-residence to pay more to fish the Elk/Wigwam classified systems. As residence we are already doing so through various levels of taxation.

The magic of the PEI exit toll is it encourages people to come to the province and perhaps stay a bit longer.
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #35

My wife and I, spent a little over a week driving around Nova Scotia, and a few days on PEI.
Our son was in the miliary, in Digby, and we have friends in Halifax.
We do have an Eastern connection, in Ontario (Port Dover) our grand daughter is with the Fred Eaglesmith Band.

You may have heard some of his music. It seems he is popular on the esact coast and down into the lower 48.
Personaly I liked him when we met.

It seems you have the impression I do not like the east coast, what I related was just one experience.

I have had similiar experiences in Hong Kong, and Barbados, but still enjoyed my time there.
by the way Barbados beaches are white but are not sand, they are pulverized coral. and it rains at 15;30 hours every day.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #36
wcf

I think Pei is like a lot of places, we do have what i call tourist traps ( there is people who like them) I personally rarely visit them. I find there is enough other things to do. Now if you as a visitor want to visit and leave some green stuff, we are happy about that also.
I guess that brings up the point why I bought another trailer ( my relatives thinks i,m crazy) It is because they dont build motels where i like to stay. My escape will have enough luxuries for us to be comfortable and i will be able to park it anywhere that i like the scenery, it is being equiped with solar etc.
I wonder if Tammy found a way for a washer and dryer to fit!!!, I guess i could do without the dryer on sunny days.
I think that there is enough variety to suit everyones needs if we take the time to look a bit, its all in the journey. Antisipation is most of the fun.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #37

Hi wcf: I'm equally excited about my 17B having a 19 mate closeby. Give me a call sometime soon and we'll have a coffee and talk about Escapes.

JerryCpei