Newbie with a few questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Newbie with a few questions

Hello everyone,
I have been an avid reader of this forum for some time now and I appreciate all the active members that make this a valuable site for Escape owners and soon to be/hopeful owners.

To give you all some background, my wife, 15 month old son, Labrador retriever, and I are planning on taking some time to travel throughout the Pacific Northwest over the next few months. We plan to do some boondocking along with some campground camping. Our very general goals are:

1. There is a chance that we may not be able to keep the trailer after the conclusion of the trip. We are currently living in a condo and don’t have parking once we return so we may be selling shortly after buying.
2. We are fairly minimal in our needs and would like to get just enough trailer to allow for a smaller tow vehicle
3. Small tow vehicle since it will be our only vehicle and our preference for better gas mileage when not towing is very important

We are looking at something as small as the 13’ and up to the 17’.

Given the information above, the questions:

1. In your opinion, and I understand it is an opinion, is a 13’ too small for all of us to be comfortable?
2. Our timeline of a few months is too long to rent but a short turnaround if we were to sell. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.
bshbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It really comes down to your definition of comfortable. Doable, yes, and more so if the weather is generally good and you're able to spend more time outside.

Fiberglass trailers do hold their value. Prices, however, tend to rise a bit in the Spring and go down in the Fall. But they are easier to sell than a soggy stickie and you wouldn't be the first to buy and sell in the same year.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Chad,
Welcome to our little world. First off, Escape is no longer making the 13 nor the 15 foot model. In addition the lead time for a 17' model is almost to the end of the year. It's a shame to buy and sell after 6 months, why not storage? The costs for taxes and registration will be high for a new one, it would pay to keep it.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Don't be surprised if you become hooked on your trip and do not want to sell on the return. You might look into storage facilities before going.

I would hardly think you all would want to fit into a 13' but it is a very personal thing. You might love the 13' and have no problem. It is difficult to go by what someone else finds sufficient. One time trip, you could certainly do it. You just might not want to do it again that way. In which case you wouldn't need a storage place.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It really comes down to your definition of comfortable. Doable, yes, and more so if the weather is generally good and you're able to spend more time outside.

Fiberglass trailers do hold their value. Prices, however, tend to rise a bit in the Spring and go down in the Fall. But they are easier to sell than a soggy stickie and you wouldn't be the first to buy and sell in the same year.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the reply. Our intent is to be outside as much as possible and anticipate the spring weather will generally be suitable for it.

I agree that comfort is certainly open to interpretation and we are generally comfortable in close quarters but this is much closer than usual. Not sure if anyone could share a similar experience packed into a 13'
Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Chad,
Welcome to our little world. First off, Escape is no longer making the 13 nor the 15 foot model. In addition the lead time for a 17' model is almost to the end of the year. It's a shame to buy and sell after 6 months, why not storage? The costs for taxes and registration will be high for a new one, it would pay to keep it.
Thanks very much. Been looking for awhile and am very impressed by the Escape models.

I understand that the 13' and 15' are no longer in production and would be looking on the secondary market. There is a 13' currently for sale and that was what prompted the thoughts of squeezing into it. Not sure it's a long term solution and that is why I'm skeptical about the possibility.

Storage is a possibility but a little costly over the long run so I'm not sure it would make sense.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Don't be surprised if you become hooked on your trip and do not want to sell on the return. You might look into storage facilities before going.

I would hardly think you all would want to fit into a 13' but it is a very personal thing. You might love the 13' and have no problem. It is difficult to go by what someone else finds sufficient. One time trip, you could certainly do it. You just might not want to do it again that way. In which case you wouldn't need a storage place.
That's my biggest concern. I might want to full time in it

It may be a pipe dream and too costly given the transaction costs associated with it but if we were to do it just wanted to be sure to consider as many of the potential issues as possible. I looked into storage and it might be too costly to make sense.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
As much as I understand the desire to get into a fiberglass Escape, based on what I've read, I can't help but wonder why you are not looking at a suitable VW Westfalia or similar. It hits all your points, except construction.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
As much as I understand the desire to get into a fiberglass Escape, based on what I've read, I can't help but wonder why you are not looking at a suitable VW Westfalia or similar. It hits all your points, except construction.
It's funny you mention that because that's where we started looking. I'm a big fan of the Westy and when we thought the trip might be longer we started looking into trailers. We might point ourselves in that direction until we're ready to commit to a trailer for the long term.