Newbies looking - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
TaraTimNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraTimNelson View Post
Hi. We are in Alabama and have finally decided to take up camping. We have found all sorts of places to visit but we still need to purchase our perfect little camper. We would appreciate any suggestions on things to look for as we shop used escape campers.
Thanks in advance.
Tara and Tim
Our 11 month old 5.0 ta is for sale. We live in Virginia contact us for further details.
804-824-5374
Jollyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:08 AM   #22

Silly Jollyjerry,,,,,,,,, TaraTimNelson, I gave you a wrong number, it should read 804-737-5374.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a rally every April in Tennessee where there are just about every Escape model present. It may help you decide whether to go with used or new. Right now new is cheaper than used, but you have a wait period.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Thought you sold that trailer JollyJerry?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #25

No Greg, Marc decided to wait for his new Fifth Wheel in 2016.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
About the beginning of Nov. 2014, ETI booked up for 2015, and stopped taking new orders. On May 26 of this year, 2015, they started taking 2016 orders. and Sept. 8, they filled up. 3½ months to book up 2016. Soooooo, 2017 orders should start about May or June of next year, and they should be booked up in about a "day and a half!.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #27

Trailer: Looking
What are the differences between an escape 5.0 and a scamp fifth wheel?i see that the escape has two shells, one inside the other, and double axles. But other than that are there other significant differences?
Thanks.
TaraTimNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Escape does not have two shells, just a single one that is fibreglassed together. Escape is a continuous shell including the bottom, whereas Scamp uses a wood platform underneath. The Escape has lots and lots more quality features too. And, if you compare costs in USD, you will find that this much higher level of quality does not come at much of a premium.

Plus, the Scamp loft looks like it was a poorly done addition to their regular trailer.

This is just my opinion, of course.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
E

Plus, the Scamp loft looks like it was a poorly done addition to their regular trailer.

This is just my opinion, of course.
And you expressed your opinion so much more politely than I did the first time I saw one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
What are the differences between an escape 5.0 and a scamp fifth wheel?i see that the escape has two shells, one inside the other, and double axles. But other than that are there other significant differences?
Quote:
Escape does not have two shells, just a single one that is fibreglassed together. Escape is a continuous shell including the bottom, whereas Scamp uses a wood platform underneath...
Both good points.

The upper and lower shells of the trailers are joined differently. The Scamp seam design is inherited from the Boler design (which is not quick to describe, or particularly desirable), while the Escape has a unique bonded-while-in-the-mould system.

Also, the Scamp 19' uses the same axle as the Scamp 16'; while the original Escape 5.0 had the same single Torflex axle as earlier Escape models, the current Escape 5.0TA uses beam axles on leaf springs.

The Escape 5.0 and 5.0TA are actually fifth-wheel trailers: they have a pin that couples with a fifth-wheel hitch. In contrast, the Scamp 19' - although often called a "fifth-wheel" - has a coupler which connects to a two-inch towing ball mounted in the truck.

Quote:
Both the Scamp 19' and the Escape fifth-wheels (5.0 and 5.0TA) are based on another model, with the loft added. One difference is that the Scamp loft is just blended into the front of the starting model (which was their 16'), while Escape designed a whole new roof profile. The original 5.0 was derived from the 17 Foot, while the 5.0TA was derived from the 21 Foot.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And you expressed your opinion so much more politely than I did the first time I saw one.

Ron
Wow, that must be a first for me being accused of being polite.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #32

I appreciate your replies and I sincerely hope I did not offend anyone. I am trying to do my research so I make an informed decision. i have been dreaming of camping for over three years but have only recently convinced my hubby of how wonderful it is. I am the researcher in our little family as I am the one sitting in front of my iPad most of the time. We were settled on an escape and then our neighbor who van camps mentioned the scamp. He asked why we had chosen the escape over the scamp as he reads a blog by a lady named sue and her dogs and that the scamp seemed like a good camper too. I mentioned the double axles which makes me feel much more comfortable in the even of a blowout but other than that I really had no clear reasons to give him. So therefore I posed the question to y'all. Again, I sincerely didn't mean to offend.
Thank you for the answers.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #33

I'm sure no offense was received, a lot of the Escape owners are ex- owners of Scamps and Casitas, so we are well aware of both units.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Tara, I think the "polite" comment had to do with Scamp's design, not with your question... Your question's a good one.

You might get more answers supportive of the Scamp if you ask it over on FiberglassRV.com, where there are lots of current Scamp (and other, including Escape) owners.

Have fun with your research!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
....We were settled on an escape and then our neighbor who van camps mentioned the scamp. He asked why we had chosen the escape over the scamp as he reads a blog by a lady named sue and her dogs and that the scamp seemed like a good camper too.
Except RV Sue has a Casita, not a Scamp... there, I'll throw another brand in the mix.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #36

Oh ok. Well we eliminated the casita because it was only 17'. So that one is easy.��
Old 09-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Tara, I think the "polite" comment had to do with Scamp's design, not with your question... Your question's a good one.
This is bang on. Ron was commenting to me regarding the look of the Scamp, which to many looks odd, but that does not make it a bad trailer at all.

Your question was a very good one, as is your desire to go camping with a trailer like those you mentioned. I truly believe that Escape is a much better choice. Though the weight can easily be carried with a single axle, the tandem does have its benefits, and for me the foremost one is that you get a better ride, mostly because the second axle offers support should the other drop in a hole, or hit a bump. Under some conditions this relates to a bit less bounce.

In the end, it really is not about what trailer you use, it is more about getting out and doing it, and having a great time.

Though, Escape is a great choice to do it with.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #38

Thanks, Jim. I'm looking so forward to it that I can hardly contain myself! Lol! We purchased our truck yesterday so the reality is finally here for me. I can't wait to see it hooked up to our new little trailer. I too think the escape is better. I thought about ordering one but I would have to wait ANOTHER year and a half. So we've decided to go the used route and then perhaps after five years buy new. I think we will be much more knowledgable about how we will use it making our options easier to decide on.
I hadn't thought about the potholes and bumps. That is definitely a consideration.
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #39

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I discovered this last trip that the tandem axle does not make any difference if the road is bad enough. The bathroom door was jarred open and bent the hinges and I had to shim the catch plate so the door would latch. The single pedestal table rocked the screws out of the floor and I had to reset them. I know now to travel with the table down.
I am blaming it on New Hampshire route 119; although, it could have been anywhere in the last 2 hours of that trip.

Dick
Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #40

I had a similar experience returning from Maine, my table ended up on the floor. I now bungee the table down and slow down on those harmonic distortion roads I call them. I even was using my Andersen, IMMSMR.