Next Adventures - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Next Adventures

Hello,

I am John, and my husband is Derek. We're from Iowa, and looking at our next adventure in RVing.

We are/were long time RVer's, but have been on a bit of a hiatus. Spent about 8 years full-time in a 40 foot Winnebago, and 10 years prior to that in various other rigs.

We have settled in Iowa, and haven't RV'd for the past 5 years when we sold the Winnebago. Looking to start again. Our camping "desires" have changed drastically, so really looking at small units. In-fact, was most recently (and still considering) a truck camper.

That said, I ran across the Escape 5.0TA, and it looks like a sweet little 5th wheel, and one that would meet our requirements.

Is there anyone close to me that has one that I could check out?

Does anyone pull one with a "more than 1/2 ton" truck? I am concerned that our 3500HD SB SRW might be too high for it, even if we ordered the high rise axle.

Has anyone put a Reese GooseBox adapter on it? Andersen Hitch? I already have a turnover ball in my truck bed... I am curious with either of those two setups your experiences. Particularly in turning radius/cut/clearance issues. Those who do not have one of the above, do you feel you need a sliding hitch for maneuverability on a short-box?

Thanks in advance!

John
JLModer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLModer2 View Post
Hello,

I am John, and my husband is Derek. We're from Iowa, and looking at our next adventure in RVing.

We are/were long time RVer's, but have been on a bit of a hiatus. Spent about 8 years full-time in a 40 foot Winnebago, and 10 years prior to that in various other rigs.

We have settled in Iowa, and haven't RV'd for the past 5 years when we sold the Winnebago. Looking to start again. Our camping "desires" have changed drastically, so really looking at small units. In-fact, was most recently (and still considering) a truck camper.

That said, I ran across the Escape 5.0TA, and it looks like a sweet little 5th wheel, and one that would meet our requirements.

Is there anyone close to me that has one that I could check out?

Does anyone pull one with a "more than 1/2 ton" truck? I am concerned that our 3500HD SB SRW might be too high for it, even if we ordered the high rise axle.

Has anyone put a Reese GooseBox adapter on it? Andersen Hitch? I already have a turnover ball in my truck bed... I am curious with either of those two setups your experiences. Particularly in turning radius/cut/clearance issues. Those who do not have one of the above, do you feel you need a sliding hitch for maneuverability on a short-box?

Thanks in advance!

John
Hi John:

If you contact Escape Trailer Industries directly they will be able to give you the contact info for the closest 5.0 to you that would be happy to show you their unit.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi John
Are you aware of Mississippi River Rally to be held starting the middle of next week at the Thompson Causeway Corps of Engineers campground across the river from and a little north of Clinton Iowa? There will be quite a number (around 30) Escape trailers there. Trailer tours are Saturday starting at 10 AM and there will be at least one TA there towed by an F150. Can’t answer your question about the adaptability of an F350 or 3500 series pickup, but I’m sure someone on here will know. Hoping you and Derek can make the drive on Saturday the 28th I am:
Iowa Dave
Site 114 that weekend.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh wow.

I am very familiar with Thomson Causeway. That used to be one of our favorite spots! Plus Derek grew up in Thomson...

I don't know if we can make it, but I will certainly try!

Thank you for the info, and I will reach out to Escape as well.

John
JLModer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLModer2 View Post
Hi. Maybe this thread will help...
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...uck-13417.html
Old 09-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The very 1st 5.0TA went on an F350 4x4. just need the high lift axle and the pin box adjusted.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
This file, created by a forum member, has all the height specifications for a 5.0TA and I found it very helpful in determining hitch height for my truck. We have a 2019 Ram 1500, the bed rails are pretty tall - 55" at the tailgate. With the high lift axle when I am hitched up I have 9 inches of clearance from the bed rails to the trailer - don't know the height of your 3500 but others have had no issues matching a 5.0TA up to a one ton truck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hitch and truck specs 5.0TA.pdf (181.8 KB, 8 views)