One More New Member - Lots of Questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21
#6. We didn't get the front window. It's bright enough without the window, and we wanted the shelf above the bed. The shelf is great for glasses, books, keys, etc. it gets a lot more use than I would have thought.

#8. We hadn't towed anything more than a utility trailer when we picked up. I echo the comments that it does tow very well. In terms of towing, the one part of the orientation that was helpful was Dennis setting up the Anderson hitch and going over the set up with us. If you get delivery to some site in Indiana or elsewhere, you'll have to hitch it up and drive it home without the benefit of the overview. Even if you get it delivered, you might want to go to ETI for the orientation or get a mini orientation if you go to ETI before purchase. You can also practice towing if you rent a UHaul for a weekend.

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Wink Not that there's anything wrong with a little asymmetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Since it's not thermal it will be a bit colder up front if you camp in chilly areas. It looked odd to me, being off-center on a 21 because of the bathroom shell.
We'll probably procure an extra cover for the inside of the window if/when we camp in cold weather (to help with condensation)... and it's only asymmetrical from the outside. It was the inside look and feel that attracted us to it.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:03 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
....was the inside look and feel that attracted us to it.
It's ALL good, it's your trailer!v
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
While camping in cold, wet weather we found that moisture from our breathing condensed on cold walls and behind the dinette cushions and the wall. I think the vinyl on one side of the cushions prevents the moisture from penetrating the foam.

The bed area is bright enough for us. We really like the shelf above our heads.

I was told that 6 volt deep cycle batteries supposedly have thicker plates than 12 volt deep cycles and can handle the deep discharges and recharges better. For boondocking with a generator this is how we operate. Oh and the amp hours are almost double with two 6 volts.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
#8 We picked up our 16` Scamp trailer in Backus Mn. Never towed a thing. Was going to cost $1800 or so. Thought we would make a vacay out of it and trek out there. Beautiful on the way out, late Sept. Picked up trailer, got the 30 minute lo-down, yeah yeah we went. 5 minutes down the road we went, said to my wife whatdy he say about the brakes,"I don`t know" Turns out they were set to high, figured that out when we had it in for state inspection weeks later. Sooo camped in two location going south, screeching every time we had to stop, got pretty good at avoiding stops. Then the weather changed, worst torrential rain storms I ever been in,heading E on 80. Was going to use our brand new Good Sam GPS with all the campgrounds location. It blanked out, we thought it must be the black low clouds. Could not venture to find anything. So we drove, i guess 24 hours straight through to PA. Turns out that you needed to just hit the re-set button on the GPS to bring it back, who woulda thought. Needless to say it was an adventure for a 70 year old guy and girl. Good luck, Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:59 AM   #16

Trailer: Wannabe
nwcatowner, thanks for the excellent advice on the fabrics and such. I want it to look good - I know, I have issues....

I would love to know about your faucet and shower head choices, never even thought about those.
llfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21'
Hello,

We live in Cincinnati Ohio now. Our 21' is due in late feb or march. I have researched these and seen several over the years. Depending on the timing, you can come see ours when it is delivered. I didn't tow anything either before I picked up at 17' Casita. Nervous but it all went okay. Perhaps when you get your rig, we can meet up and We can share insights. This is the fun process. Enjoy!
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #18

Trailer: Wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Hello,

We live in Cincinnati Ohio now. Our 21' is due in late feb or march. I have researched these and seen several over the years. Depending on the timing, you can come see ours when it is delivered. I didn't tow anything either before I picked up at 17' Casita. Nervous but it all went okay. Perhaps when you get your rig, we can meet up and We can share insights. This is the fun process. Enjoy!

How wonderful - March will be here before you know it! We would love to meet up with you guys.

I'm sure Russ will be able to drive and tow. Just worried about getting the hitching and brake stuff setup correctly for the long ride home from Goshen. We know NOTHING about hitches and brake controllers!
llfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by llfalcon View Post
How wonderful - March will be here before you know it! We would love to meet up with you guys.

I'm sure Russ will be able to drive and tow. Just worried about getting the hitching and brake stuff setup correctly for the long ride home from Goshen. We know NOTHING about hitches and brake controllers!
Hi: llfalcon... I don't think anyone started out knowing every thing about trailer towing. Get used to "Life long learning". Some one here a few years back couldn't unhitch when they got home...so called Reace. He recommended a "Percussion adjustment" but the owner couldn't do it. Reace got a farm implement dealer near by to go have a look and make said adjustment with a sledge hammer. Worked like a charm. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I was told that 6 volt deep cycle batteries supposedly have thicker plates than 12 volt deep cycles and can handle the deep discharges and recharges better.
I'm not surprised you were told that, but it is not true. Comparing two batteries of the same series from the same manufacturer, the only difference between 6 volt and 12 volt batteries is how may cells the plates are grouped into (6V is three cells, 12V is six cells).

This belief comes from the tendency for people to compare inexpensive multi-purpose 12 volt batteries with heavy-duty deep-cycle 6 volt batteries. If they compared 6 volt and 12 volt heavy-duty deep-cycle 6 volt batteries, they would find no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Oh and the amp hours are almost double with two 6 volts.
The capacity (in amp-hours) is double because the size of the battery set is double. In lead-acid batteries of similar construction, weight of lead is capacity - whatever number of boxes you split it into, and whatever combination of individual battery voltages you make, to get twice the capacity at the same total voltage just takes twice the weight of lead.

Yes, the largest optional Escape battery set is about twice the weight of the standard battery, so it has twice the capacity, and it is split into two 6-volt units... a sensible choice if you want the capacity and can handle the weight.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote