Options, Options, Options??? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Exclamation

Many of the extras are just gingerbread icing and can be bought or added later. What's most important is that you actually get out and try your new trailer. Once you get a feel for your trailer you may feel many of the add-ons are just add-ons. How much time do you think you'll really want to spend inside your 15, 17, or 19 footer? I think most of the camping fun is outside.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
After 2 long trips in my 17B, the options I appreciate the most are the additional insulation (helps with both hot & cold temperatures), the 6V battery option combined with LED lighting & solar, which lets me dry camp as long as my tanks hold up (2 weeks so far), the front storage box (might not be as necessary if you have a truck or make shorter trips).

If you are handy, I'd hold off on 12V outlets, the Umbra Hooks, and additional lighting positions until you have used the trailer for awhile and have a good idea of where to put them.

One addition that Reace was considering, but isn't listed is an inverter. I added a 1000 watt inverter so I could make a pot of drip coffee each morning. Since it requires running large wire between the inverter & the batteries, it would be easier to have it done when building the trailer. I believe others have shipped inverters to Escape to have them installed.

If it is any help, I have a trailer modifications page on my website that lists what I've done over the last two years. I will be adding this spring's changes in a few days - I'm in the middle of adding "above the window" taillights and changing the porch light to a 3 way switch so I can turn it on or off from both outside & inside the trailer.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
How much time do you think you'll really want to spend inside your 15, 17, or 19 footer? I think most of the camping fun is outside.
This is a great point. Other than for sleeping, a bit of cooking, or an evening where the weather is really ugly, we are rarely inside the trailer.

Though I have witnessed since going to fancier campsites (until recently we pretty much boondocked or went to forestry campsites), that some people seem to be in their RV's (usually the big ones) almost all the time. I guess everyone has their own definitions about what trailer camping is all about, and why they do it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
.......changing the porch light to a 3 way switch so I can turn it on or off from both outside & inside the trailer.
You got my interest again, Jon (I got lots of kudos from the wife for the LED idea of yours inside the cabinets). How do you plan to facilitate this change? Are there lights with a 3 way switch on them, as well as a 3 way 12V switch for inside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I've also been to RV sites where the campers never seem to leave their trailers but those people aren't in 19 footers!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You got my interest again, Jon (I got lots of kudos from the wife for the LED idea of yours inside the cabinets). How do you plan to facilitate this change? Are there lights with a 3 way switch on them, as well as a 3 way 12V switch for inside.
There is some discussion of this modification on a thread at the Casita Travel Trailer Forum..

If you are not a member, you may need to register to use the site - lots of good information so it is worth signing up!

Basically, you replace the switch in the porch light with a single pole, double throw (no center off) switch, and wire it the same way a household 3 way switch is wired. While you may be able to find a switch locally, the source for one that is a snap in replacement cited in the post is the first item here. Note - it is not DC rated, however if you are using LED lighting, it won't be a problem; I doubt it would be a problem even with an incandescent lamp. They also have a schematic for the wiring in the post, but if you need to sign up for the article, you would also have to sign up for a link to the schematic jpg. If you don't want to join the site, here is a link that show how to wire them.

I'm still finishing the wiring change - I'll add some images to the trailer modification page when done.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had Reace install 3 exterior LED lights, street,curb and front each having it's own switch and when on with an inside switch which turns each one off and on, he did not charge anything other than for one extra light which costs $35.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #28

The advantage of converting to a SPDT switch, both at the fixture and inside the trailer is you can turn the lamp on or off at either location. The single throw switch built into the standard fixture supplied by Escape is only an on/off (single pole, single throw) switch - if it is off, you cannot turn on the lamp with an inside switch. Conversely, if the inside switch is off, you cannot turn the lamp on from the outside. Again, with the addition of a double pole switch at each end, flipping either switch changes the status of the lamp.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Many of the extras are just gingerbread icing and can be bought or added later.
I think this brings up an important point: which options really can be added later, and which must (or really should) be accommodated at build time? It would be nice if Escape included this information in the options list, and if people mentioned when discussing potential options, but I realize this information will never be handed to any of us in a complete and tidy form.

A good example would be the cot shown earlier: I wouldn't need it, but it would be nice to have, and the only good way to get it would be to chose that option at build time. Even just the wall-mounted sockets would be a good option - the cot itself could always be added later.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We consider our Escape to be a long term asset. When we chose our options and factory mods on our 19 (to be picked up this week), we not only considered our current needs and wants, but also considered what we are likely to want as our lives evolve in the next 10 years. For example, we chose the cot as our daughter is going to use it for the next few years. After that it may be seldom used, but could be if the occasion arises. On the other hand, we also got air conditioning, even though we are unlikely to use it much in the next few years. Our longer term plans do include trips to places in the USA where we would be very happy to have AC.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #31

Thanks for that info, Jon. Having that SPDT switch that easily replaces the existing one will be great. I imagine a local Radio Shack or even an RV dealer might have a switch for the interior that would be smaller and more compact than a household 3 way switch.

edit: I see on the same site you listed that switch on that they have what I am looking for. I might as well order either this, or this one at the same time.

I am not registered on the Casita forum, though may. I have actually dropped a few forums I was a member of, as I had my thoughts going in too many directions, in too many of them. A few too many photography, woodworking, canoeing, hiking, trailering, wildlife, etc on the list. Plus Facebook too.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #32

I added some photos of the 3 Way Switch modification on my Trailer Modifications page. Works great!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #33

Trailer: No more Escape 21
John, when I go to your 2013 mods, there is no picture for the refrigerator or 3-way switch, instead I get the error message, "HTTP error 404.0 - Not Found."
Old 04-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #34

Oops - I forgot to update the image folder. Should be OK not, although you may have to refresh the page...
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree that there are some options that can't be retrofitted, like the bunk supports, the extra plywood in walls, the e-z-lube axles. I guess that is why automobiles keep changing and making improvements, to make you want to upgrade and buy them. If you had a crystal ball and could see the future then you would be okay. Otherwise, one may need to purchase another Escape if additions can not be made, this is what drives the economy.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #36

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I agree that there are some options that can't be retrofitted, like the bunk supports, the extra plywood in walls, the e-z-lube axles. I guess that is why automobiles keep changing and making improvements, to make you want to upgrade and buy them. If you had a crystal ball and could see the future then you would be okay. Otherwise, one may need to purchase another Escape if additions can not be made, this is what drives the economy.
Jim, it sure sounds like you are getting ready to justify your imminent 21' purchase!...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
While purchasing a 21' might be a solution, it's always good to remember that there's usually another solution: be happy with what we have.

Sez the guy with a 19' on order...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #38

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
While purchasing a 21' might be a solution, it's always good to remember that there's usually another solution: be happy with what we have.

Sez the guy with a 19' on order...
Congratulations on your outstanding purchase! I love my 19'!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Anyone: Where in the 19 are the dual 6 volt batteries kept, on the tongue or inside under dinette bench? Is this an option? Also, wondering if black water tank is under the floor, nested within frame, or in space on driver side storage next to the converter? Just curious.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #40

The batteries now are put on the hitch, I believe, or in the storage box if you get one. Mine are under the dinette seat in a vented box, and I actually prefer them there, out of the way. Even if I had a front storage box, it would free up space in it for items you want handier, I would imagine Escape would do it either way if you request.