Options, Options, Options??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape "Bess" 19' Sept. 2013
Options, Options, Options???

Debra and Michael here and here is Rosarito Mex. for the moment. We are planning to put a deposit real soon on an Escape19. We are both new to this and our biggest question is what are the options that make things easier and more comfortable. Microwave is out I know. So if you have an option on your rig you can't live without or something that you wish you woulda got please let us know.
The humor in the fact that we have picked an Escape over the others is that we are both working Escape Artist. Facebook TheNewHoudinis "like "it!
Thanks in advance,
Michael and Debra
escape13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Debra and Michael, you are going to love your 19' like we love ours. BTW, my wife and I have some friends that also live at Rosarito on the beach at the North end of town, Jim and Mary and next door are George and Maria. Do you plan to camp in Baja or also go to the states?

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I think that the options fall into three categories...

Black and white (must-haves or have-nots) 5%: For example, I will have a small Escape with a big tow vehicle, therefore I do not need a WDH.

Gray (camping style) 90%: For example, I don't even have a microwave in my house or cabin so why would I need one in my trailer? For example, I won't be camping in a hot climate, so I don't need AC. For example, I need an extra 12V plug in the rear to charge electronic gear. For example, I always cook outside so I don't need a stove hood. For example, I boondock all the time so I need solar or a generator. For example, I'm plugged in all the time so I don't need solar or a generator.

Truly gray 5%: For example, I like the standard upholstery but I want a different laminate or vinyl. For example, I like a stainless steel stove. For example, I don't like a stainless steel stove.

As you can see, Michael and Debra, most of the decisions (in my opinion) depend on camping lifestyle. I lurked on this forum for a year before placing my order last fall for an Escape to take delivery this May. There is a thread on this forum for almost every option...and an opinion for every option--pro and con. It boils down to camping lifestyle. Regardless of which options you elect, you can be sure that you will be happy with your choice of an Escape.

And how cool is it that someone is posting from Mexico? Very, very cool.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: escape13... It's a pleasure to know real escape artists. I just studied fine arts and love to escape. We will be retired by years end and will be setting up my easel and trailer in Florida for the winter. I won't be chained down anymore!!!
Most of today's options weren't even thought of in 2007 when our 5.0 was built. What I can offer as a thought is some options are best added when the trailer is in production ie: The Screen Room. It's better to have Reace add the dome snaps for this, when building your trailer. Same goes for shelves in the closet or drawers in the pantry, and special reinforcing for any TV on the walls. Even extra lights on the exterior or reading lights over the bed.
What ever your pleasure Tammy will slip you thru the build sheet and take care of your needs.
Welcome and happy escapin"... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
What I found unnerving when we were ordering the options on our trailer was that there is no complete list of options to be considered. One must read the forum pretty thoroughly to learn the possibilities. And Escape is always making changes that are not necessarily announced, so again you must fall back on the forum to try to catch this information, some of which may be changes you don't want!

Example of a change we didn't want and were able to avoid -- brown accordion shades instead of the previously available off-white

Two examples of options we wouldn't have known were available without the forum -- two-way water heater (electric and propane); extended length stabilizer jacks.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I must agree that there are a lot of good ideas here that are not on the standard build sheet. I remember a couple of times that I would call Tammy to change something and she would laugh and say I must have been reading the forum.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Michael and Debra, welcome to the site, and congrats on your purchasing decision.

I would suggest to take some time and read through lots of the past posts. You will find all the options, both standard and custom, well discussed. Lots of good thinking went into most of them.

You kinda need to define to yourselves how you intend to use the trailer. Will you be in hot or cold climates mostly, at serviced campgrounds or boondocking, or combinations of all. You also need to figure out what level of luxury you are comfortable with. There tends to be two ways that folks get into the trailer life, for some it is roughing it compared to what they are used to in their daily lives, and for others (like me) it is looked at as a luxurious way of camping compared to living out of a backpack or canoe. Either way, the resultant is similar, everyone is getting out and enjoying themselves.

One thing to remember, is that just about anything can be done after you buy if needed. You could take the base unit, without any options, and have yourself a great time.

There are a few things best to incorporate from the beginning if you think you would ever need them. Once you get out camping for a while, you will likely figure out more about what you need for your own particular style. Going for the extra insulation and dual glazed windows would be at the top of my list for extras.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
And there are options not listed on the option list, so do not be afraid to ask Escape anything that you may want them to do or change.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #9

Option, one Man's Opinion..

If this helps, here is how we settled on our 19 build this winter:

Well - it is time to reveal the outcome of all your collective input!
Our trailer is moving into week 3 of production - the pictures from Tammy look great.
Here is what we have chosen to do with our 19:

Modifications and Options for Usability
Additional Opening Window over sink
Bike Rack Ready
Cabinet Door at end of Bench
Front Cot READY
Rear U Shaped Dinette
Opening Window in Bathroom
Oven with Three burner Cooktop
Stove Cover
Hitch Wheel
Front Storage Box
Additional Light on Front of Trailer for Storage Box
2 shelves in closet, 2 drawers in closet
Reinforce front , bathroom front & side , and fridge walls
Umbra hidden hook bars (2)

Modifications and Options for Safety
Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Additional Set LED Brake Lights
Halogen Flood back-up lights
Surge Protector
Interior switched porch light

Modifications and Options for Flexibility & Power Independence
95W Solar Panel and Charger
Dual 6V Batteries
Extra Insulation & Thermal Windows
LED Interior Light Package
LED Exterior Porch Light Package
LED lit switches fro pump
Digital Thermostat
Removable Power Cord
Two Way Hot Water Tank
3-12 Volt outlets
Additional front facing110V plug kitchen
1500 Watt Power Invertor
All 120 v plugs split between land power / Inverter Power sources
Honda 2000i Generator

Modifications and Options for Convenience and Comfort
Air Conditioner (11,000 BTU)
Spray Foam Insulation
Exterior Propane Quick Connect
Dickinson Spitfire SS Marine BBQ
Exterior shower
High pressure, low volume shower hose and head
Microwave (Black) full time inverter powered
2 Additional Counter Extensions over rear bed/ dinette (3 total)
6 Captains Reading Lights (4 in rear, 2 in front)
Outdoor Screen Room
TV Antenna (New Style for off air HDTV), cable ready
Starter Kit etc. etc.
Dual wheel X-Chocks

Modifications and Options for Appearance and Style
Aluminum Rims
Custom Formica - White 949 - MC
Custom Fabric (Grey with Black Piping)
Custom Valances (Grey, Black & tan)
Stainless Steel Sink & Chrome Faucet
Full storage cover
Colour matched decals to Nissan Xterra tow vehicle

Have we missed anything useful?
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
One more thing...don't overlook one of the best resources on this forum: PICTURES. I have made some key decisions based on going over pictures with a fine-tooth comb. As often posted on this forum...we love pictures!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Karen's suggestion is a great one.

Don's list is extensive, so I'd just say, don't be intimidated. A short list still makes for an excellent trailer. Our list was relatively short, and if I were doing it again with the benefit of hindsight, it would be even a bit shorter.

--Liz
Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Our trailer has most of the common options available with a few of the custom type options. The one area I wish we had know more about was the table. we have the standard table with removable pedestals. I wish we had the hinged on the wall table and this must be done early in the build so we can't change it after the fact. Also if I had to do it over again I would have all pull out drawers where the wardrobe is, we had shelves put in there which means we have baskets to keep things organised but drawers would be better in my opinion.
I do think that perspective on how you like to camp makes a big impact on how you kit out your trailer. Good luck this was a very fun part for us.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Debra and Michael, we live in Escondido about 100 miles North of where you are in Baja and would be happy to show you our trailer if it would help you decide on options. We know it helped us when we were buying.

Steve & Margarita
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Don, what does "front cot ready" mean? Will you be sleeping in the front and eating at the u-shaped dinette in the rear or will the dinette turn into a bed at night?

Regards,
Ruthe
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha View Post
Don's list is extensive, so I'd just say, don't be intimidated. A short list still makes for an excellent trailer. Our list was relatively short, and if I were doing it again with the benefit of hindsight, it would be even a bit shorter.

--Liz
Liz, you just said what I was getting at way better than I did. I did not opt for many options, and have never felt any need for them. Maybe A/C would have been nice on a couple days most, but we managed very well without.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Don, what does "front cot ready" mean? Will you be sleeping in the front and eating at the u-shaped dinette in the rear or will the dinette turn into a bed at night?

Regards,
Ruthe
Ruthe, I believe it is for a bunk above the dinette. The backing for supports needs to be added when the trailer first comes out of its moulds.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
DonM,

Very impressive design, I too am inclined to add a lot of options while its being constructed. And, we too will have Super Dog Navigator

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your new trailer.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Debra and Michael, welcome. You are going to have fun with the outfitting part.

We would not have bought without insulation and thermal windows and A/C. Escapes up for resale have sat because those interested wanted A/C. We do expect to use the A/C some if not a great deal of the time. We also would not be without a dual water heater (electric and propane) and microwave and door at the bench end. Also had to have a weight distributing hitch. Glad we have the window over the sink as it is the only place you see out when up and about. Very few 19s are ordered without dual propane and dual batteries.

As others have said, it depends entirely on whether you are boondocking a lot (do you need solar?), how you cook (we have a stove for outside and/or use the microwave), whether you have to constantly convert the dinette to an additional bed, perhaps need an exterior shower for lots of beach sand, or just whatever else is particular to your camping life.

We have a pull-out spray faucet and other items which are not necessary but nice to have. I would not get rid of any standard equipment as that can be a resale problem or your own problem when you realize that you actually did need that feature you left out.

I wish we had the brown shades!
As you can see, everyone has different likes and needs.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Front cot ready means that during the build, the factory installs some wooden supports in the wall and includes a cot for children that will mount over the front dinette and attach to these wooden supports. It is listed as an option.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post

Regards,
Ruthe
It is an added sleeping option for extra kids / grand kids. You won't catch me sleeping there. Just like a bunk bed over the front dinette.

The decision to have the extra hanging cot brackets must be done early in the build phase. Reinforcing in the walls.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape
In the 19' Escape options: