Potential new owner- Questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
do you have the thermal windows? Just curious.
Yes we do. It's the frames that are the issue.

lancenadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Hallmark Guanella
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Three Run,

Is one of your goals to have a rig that your wife can also drive? Why was she unable to drive the camper? If that IS a goal, will she be better able to handle a trailer than the camper? Just asking. Regarding winter capability, even with the extra insulation, the Escape products are not really very winter capable. Others have mentioned the annoying condensation around the windows due to a lack of a thermal break in the aluminum frames. A more serious issue is the liquids. Even with heated, insulated tanks, you have problem as the dump valves are outside the heated space and, though insulated, the liquid in them will eventually become a thick slurry that will not dump until you warm the unit up. If you are willing to dry camp and cope with the window condensation, the heater in the 17b is adequate to heat the unit to -23 F so I found las winter. You might look at Lance brand trailers and campers if you want an RV with more winter capability.
My 3/4 ton is a stick, and with the Cummins it handles more like a truck. She doesn't feel comfortable with it. Too much torque and work for her. She can handle a 1/2 ton (or even a newer 3/4 ton automatic), but the Tacoma is the 'right size' for all. She can handle tugging a load behind her (wait.. that sounded kinda bad, didn't it?).

Art of compromise..

I'm not too worried about holding tanks in the winter. In the winter I generally carry two 5 gal water containers and only use that. I go outside to do my business. I doubt I will be tugging a trailer during snow season, but there are those occasions where we get some snotty cold weather early in the year. I'm more concerned about heat and condensation.

My truck camper would condensate a bit- I learned I had to keep the unit ventilated and throw more BTU's at the issue. Might be the same with the Escape..

Let me clarify- I don't go looking to camp in subzero temps, it's just that it does come with the territory that I live in. That blizzard in the pic I posted was preceded by a week of 70deg temps in mid-November.

Threerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Hallmark Guanella
Thanks to all and please keep your opinions and observations coming. I'm involved in Scouting and I'm headed out for a weekend with the Troop. This is my last trip in the truck and camper (a guy from CA is flying out next week to buy both as a set).. I'll check back on Sunday..

Thanks again.
Tom
Threerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Escapes are really nice campers, I have a 21 on order. But they are not 4 season campers. If you want a fiberglass trailer for cold weather check out Oliver campers hhtp://olivertraveltrailers.com/ they are double fiberglass walled with insulation between the walls. Heavier, more expensive but true 4 season usage. I would have one but they exceed the amount I am willing to invest in a camper. But that's just me.
In MHO Escape is the best bang for my buck. Anyways, when it gets towards 10 degrees or below I will be one of two places. In the south or camped out next to my wood stove.
The April 2016 issue of Trailer Life has a road test of a 2016 Tacoma pulling the big Oliver. There are two models, the 18' and 23'.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenadine View Post
My one complaint about cold weather camping in the Escape is that the window frames are subject to condensation to the point that for me, I need to find a solution to the issue. Our last winter trip was with temps around -15 C and the condensation was almost unbearable.
I had asked Escape about this and they were not really able to provide a solution. Looks like with the style of manufacture of the fibreglass trailer, there is no thermal break provided & maybe no easy way to do so.
I did not have condensation issues with my camper and likely this is because of the insulated panels used in the construction allowing for a thermal break.
I don't think the insulation level of the walls will make much difference to the window frame issue. Regardless of the thickness or construction of the walls, the metal inner retaining ring is screwed directly into the metal frame, effectively bypassing the wall. This is true of typical RV windows, regardless of body construction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm anxious to try out the newer "frameless" windows in cold weather. Both prior Escapes had frost on the interior window frames.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I don't know if the new windows will solve that issue totally or not, but I do know Arizona solves it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I don't know if the new windows will solve that issue totally or not, but I do know Arizona solves it.
Dude, I can hear that song now...AZ; take off your rainbow shades
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Very true, but your avatar of 70 degrees, is that your average low....
Old 04-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape
Threerun , compared to a truck camper a trailer really takes a beating on rough or washboard roads. The Escape probably holds up as well as any, but the suspension doesn't match your truck. This might limit you to how fast or far you want to go into the boondocks.

Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote