Potential new owner- Questions - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: MyronL... You probably wouldn't see scenery like that along the Interstate!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Very true, how very true....

Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #42

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
tow V

Here is a Newbe Question ? We are getting our 21 escape hopefully before Jan 4th 2017 . We are keeping our fingers crossed for an earlier build ? If so can one rent a truck in Seattle and drive cross country to Naples Fl. ? Does anyone know of a company that rents trucks to tow ? I've called a few car rental companies and no Cigar .Otherwise it's a long drive both ways to Florida . Jim W

jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #43
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Here is a Newbe Question ? We are getting our 21 escape hopefully before Jan 4th 2017 . We are keeping our fingers crossed for an earlier build ? If so can one rent a truck in Seattle and drive cross country to Naples Fl. ? Does anyone know of a company that rents trucks to tow ? I've called a few car rental companies and no Cigar .Otherwise it's a long drive both ways to Florida . Jim W
Might be worth investigating a shared delivery trailer somewhere closer in the USA. Driving to/from Chilliwack in winter over the Rockies is hit & miss on weather/snow conditions.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I tried this search awhile back and there were several issues, one the brake controller, no rental will have that and two, one way rental. That is why I used the Escape share delivery twice now.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I tried this search awhile back and there were several issues, one the brake controller, no rental will have that...
Using a Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller would solve that issue. Only need to plug in a remote into a 12V outlet in your vehicle and need a 12v charge wire to your 7-pin connector, rest of controller components are mounted on the trailer. I have used this controller for three years and it has performed flawlessly.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We checked into renting a tow vehicle a few years back. Car rental companies prevent any towing in their contracts so they are out. Uhaul might have their vans or small trucks that are rigged out and would allow towing. I have seen the Uhaul trucks towing vehicle trailers.
Home Depot or Lowes also have Van/small truck rentals that might allow towing. Not sure about interstate, but they're everywhere.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Another option is to get the trailer delivered either by escape or private firm, to a destination somewhere in the middle of the USA.

Edit: ninja'd by Charlie
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
U-Haul certainly does rent trucks for this sort of purpose; I wouldn't expect building centres to allow one-way rentals, but one could ask. The one-way aspect would likely make the rental expensive with U-Haul, and impossible with many companies - it needs to be a national chain which exchanges its equipment between locations.

The brake controller is an issue with rentals, and the Prodigy RF (or one of the few other similar alternatives) is a solution. Fortunately, with built-in trailer brake controllers becoming increasingly common in pickup trucks, and appearing in lighter trucks than when they first appeared, a rental may well have a controller. A friend of mine rented a truck for an annual trip with a large conventional trailer, and found it was suitably equipped; however, he had to rent from a company that normally serves industrial clients (not the usual car rental company), and even they are no longer an option (I can't remember what changed).

I like the "meet in the middle" approach, but there could be timing issues - it can cut the drive down to any degree for which you're willing to pay, but if the delivery is delayed you could be stuck idling somewhere waiting for it to appear. Maybe pick a nice vacation destination...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I was curious, so I checked U-Haul rates. It was less expensive than I thought: $1483 (plus fuel, but including 10 days mileage from Seattle to Naples). They do not offer their pickups or vans for this trip (perhaps those vehicles are only allowed to do local rentals), so you would be stuck driving a cube van with 10-foot (empty) box... not the nicest ride. At least it's a narrow-body single-rear-wheel van.

Also, while pickups now routinely have built-in trailer brake controllers, this van would not.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #50

Trailer: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
My Escape 19 is due for completion around August 27, 2016. I, too, live near Naples, Fl and due to family health issues I will need to get back to Florida fairly quickly after orientation. So I have been looking into the same issues that JennyKatz is asking about.
I sent an inquiry to ETI about delivery costs and received the following information:
Cost for delivery from BC to Goshen, IN is $4000cdn
Cost for delivery to Louisberg, TN would be $4000 cdn
Cost for delivery to Naples, FL would be $6846 cdn
There was no indication that sharing a truck with another party would result in a reduced cost. With those costs in mind, I'm planning to drive the long trip FL-BC-FL and just try to make some fun stops on the way back to break up the long drive. Then when family circumstances change will make a more relaxed trip. If anyone learns of a feasible alternative I would love to hear about it.

Judy is offline   Reply With Quote