Preparing to Escape! - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 2016
Arrow Preparing to Escape!

Having just managed to secure an order for the Escape 19 and hoping for it's delivery in December 2016, I am now humbly seeking some much needed advice on the type of vehicle I need to get for towing. I am considering the Grand Cherokee V6 with 290 hp but I am unsure that this vehicle may not be suitable for mountainous terrains (i.e. up-hill towing). It would definitely need to be a SUV and not a truck. Is there anyone out there in the Escape world who can shed some light on the matter? Thank you.

Dockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #2

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
escape orders

How did you get a 2016 delivery date ithought they weren't taking any new orders

jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
How did you get a 2016 delivery date ithought they weren't taking any new orders
You are absolutely right, they are no longer taking new orders but I had placed the order in time, last year!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've towed my 19 from Arizona to Alaska with my lowly Ford Ranger with far less h.p. No issues at all.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockers View Post
I am considering the Grand Cherokee V6 with 290 hp but I am unsure that this vehicle may not be suitable for mountainous terrains (i.e. up-hill towing).
Suitability depends on your expectations. If you expect to run up extended steep grades at high elevations without slowing down from a flat-road speed (of, say, 100 km/h or 60 mph), then you'll need a lot of power and that might not do it. If your expectation is to be able to climb much faster the big tractor-trailer trucks, that SUV should be just fine.

You'll get all sorts of opinions on this, depending much more on the driver's expectation than the performance of the vehicle. My van has a 230 hp V6, tows a trailer which is somewhat lighter but has just as much air drag, and it's fine in the Rocky Mountains.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockers View Post
It would definitely need to be a SUV and not a truck.
I assume that this means you need enclosed cargo space (rather than an open cargo box). Can it be a van? You can have the same power as that Grand Cherokee, more interior space, and longer wheelbase (for stability) in one of the few "minivans" (they're not so "mini" anymore) which are still available. Of course, towing ratings would need to be checked to see which vans will work for an Escape 19 Foot. The SUV will work fine, too... I'm just wondering if a whole category has been eliminated unnecessarily.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I agree that a SUV with a V6 producing around 250 hp and similar torque is fine to tow an Escape 19. We had several Grand Cherokees over the years and used them to tow. We try to keep our vehicles 8-10 years and the Jeep GCs towed fine but we had reliability troubles and higher than average repair costs. A new GC with the V6 would tow the 19 fine.

We now tow with a Highlander and often in the mountains on extended trips. On steep grades we take our time. The 2010 Highlander has been towing since we purchased it new and only issue has been a wheel bearing needing replacing. At times I think it would be nice to have more power but can't think of a SUV that would be a significant improvement over what we currently have.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #8

Thank you for your responses folks! I have another question... if you are recent Escape 19 owners (say in the last year), how did you feel about the Dexter Axle shock absorbers on it? Were they mechanically sound/satisfactory? Did you experience a smooth or bumpy journey? Would love to learn about your thoughts.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I do not think that Escape installs any shocks on any of their models....
Old 01-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
The rubber torsion suspension axles used on many Escapes was new to me when we got our 21 last May. I talked to Reace about getting shock absorbers added because we had them on our Nash trailer for traveling rough roads. He didn't know if it was possible to mount them on their axles, or if it was necessary., I researched them and read many forums, learning that they apparently absorbed shock fairly well.

After taking our Escape 21 down mildly rough gravel roads, we didn't see any damage or evidence of contents being thrown about, though we did strap the fridge closed to be on the safe side. I'm waiting to see how it handles some of the rougher roads before I can say how it performs compared to our old trailer. Mind you things really flew around in our previous trailer even with shocks.

I see other Escapers reporting haven driven down pretty rough roads, so I believe it should be okay on the rougher roads too. (Washboard; big potholes) We do slow down appropriately.

Bob K

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, towing, vehicle