Questions on Escape 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Renting a Casita to decide
Questions on Escape 17B

I have been researching the 17B, and I think I can find more answers if I keep looking, but I'll ask them now.
1. Is there storage under four person dinette?
2. How long is the single bed?
3. How wide is the single bed?
4. How much of a PITA is it to setup the single bed? Trailers do vary from tolerable to really irritating. If you are familiar with the good system on an Airstream, compare it to that.
5. I read that I should get a bathroom window to clean out the black water tank. Is that really needed?

If we buy a trailer (I am the person testing the concept with a Casita), I am leaning towards an Escape and simply leaving the back set up as a bed all the time.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Not difficult to set up bed. Not sure of size I think size of bed is listed on the Escape web page. lots of storage under four person dinette. I don't have a bathroom window haven't missed it but I'm sure ETI could add one if i asked.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:45 PM   #3

Thanks. The bathroom window is an option on the website. The post I read said they wish they had purchased the bathroom window so that they could feed a hose through it to clean out the black water tank.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:45 PM   #4

Trailer: August 2017 17b
30"x77" for front bed.
Am looking forward to BR window for added passive ventilation and light. Will see... (not getting my 17B until first week of August)
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

yes i agree i am getting one on my next trailer.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
yes i agree i am getting one on my next trailer.
I assume you agree on getting a bathroom window to help clean out the black water tank.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:00 PM   #7

that and i like windows that open to increase ventilation
Old 05-31-2017, 06:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
I have been researching the 17B, and I think I can find more answers if I keep looking, but I'll ask them now.
4. How much of a PITA is it to setup the single bed? Trailers do vary from tolerable to really irritating. If you are familiar with the good system on an Airstream, compare it to that.
5. I read that I should get a bathroom window to clean out the black water tank. Is that really needed?

If we buy a trailer (I am the person testing the concept with a Casita), I am leaning towards an Escape and simply leaving the back set up as a bed all the time.

If you look on the Escape Trailer Industries website on 17' specs and features and options, you will have a great deal of information. Just try to keep it all straight.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Concerning the bathroom window: I would NOT want one! When in Osoyoos we had the full view, while sitting outside, of a brand new 21 with bathroom window. Someone taking a shower with the light on was for us like watching tv (with blurry eyes). You can follow every movement.
Our 19 does not have a bathroom window. After seeing this display, glad we didn't.
Just pull the hose through the door if needed.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Concerning the bathroom window: I would NOT want one! When in Osoyoos we had the full view, while sitting outside, of a brand new 21 with bathroom window. Someone taking a shower with the light on was for us like watching tv (with blurry eyes). You can follow every movement.
Our 19 does not have a bathroom window. After seeing this display, glad we didn't.
No way I would do without the bath window but I saw this problem coming. Can use a curtain or block-out material.

We cannot put a hose through the window because of screen screws. We go through the door. Our bath window is for ventilation and the vent has a fan to help that greatly.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
As Kramer said, "We're not ashamed of our bodies. If someone wants to look, we say, enjoy the view!"

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I got my 17B in April and didn't get the bathroom window. It's a tiny space - the ceiling fan seems more than adequate to remove moisture. I was worried I'd feel claustrophobic in the bathroom, but I was fine.

Front dinette is very easy to make in to a bed, since the table is small and easy to handle. But you have to move everything off of the table.

I had a permanent bed installed in the back, so mine may be somewhat different, but my power cord and hot water tank take up much of the space that would be under the driver side dinette bench - so I don't think there would be much storage. I suspect if you were getting the inverter, it may be under the passenger side dinette bench? (Mine is under the bed.). So, not sure about storage space.

Good luck with your decision!

Brenda
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
> 1. Is there storage under four person dinette?

Yes, hinged doors allow you access on both sides, but depending on options ordered the driver's side has a bunch of stuff in there like the water pump, hot water heater, inverter, converter, breaker panel and power cord so it's not used for storage on ours. We leave our 4-person dinette set up as a bed so access the storage on the passenger side through the optional access panel.

> 4. How much of a PITA is it to setup the single bed?

Can't answer that directly as we never needed it as a bed, but you can omit the wardrobe like we did on ours if you want a larger bench on the passenger side which opens that space up considerably. Search for my posts and you can find a picture of it. You can also sit 3 or 4 people there without the wardrobe.

> 5. I read that I should get a bathroom window to clean out the black water tank. Is that really needed?

That's not why I would get it. It has a screen on it and is an awning type window so it would be hard to get a hose through there. Much easier to go through the door which is right there. One other option you may not have thought about is to use one of those flojet RV waste pumps to dump at home. They can be reversed to fill the black tank with clean water, then reversed again to flush it back out.

The reason to get the bathroom window in my opinion other than for the obvious ventilation is that the roof vent is very small and doesn't let much light in. We didn't want to have to turn the light on during the day every time we use it, but I never verified with anyone who DOESN'T have the window what their experience has been.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We don't have the bathroom window and are glad of it. The roof vent is a power vent and provides great ventilation even when it is raining out. If you have LED lights (which you should) it requires very little power to run them. We are also very happy with the dual 6v and solar combination. Batteries NEVER draw down much.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #15

Interesting that I see people in cooler climates saying that they don't want the bath window. If you are in a warmer climate, you might want more air through there, if not quite hot enough for A/C. Not a consideration we had at the time of ordering but turned out to be good that we have it. Of course, some are saying that they want more light, the obvious reason to get a window. That did not occur to me, however, because we hear so much about condensation issues and needing to move air.

Of course, the bath window, for those of us who do not have the new generation, was the one that could be open in the rain. Newer units have awnings. We added an awning window to keep bath and kitchen windows open at night even if raining.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Another vote in favor of the bath window. Better light, better airflow options, etc.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have spent time sitting down in the bathroom of my 19' looking out the window. Helps to pass the time until things start happening.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Bathroom window. Definitely. We love natural light, and every little bit helps. Also, on those rare occasions when we aren't using the campground facilities and are "making a deposit", the window in combination with the roof vent airs out the space very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I have spent time sitting down in the bathroom of my 19' looking out the window. Helps to pass the time until things start happening.
. Could just take your phone in like the kids do!!
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:34 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post

We had a Casita and loved it. Always had the dinette set up only as a bed and kept it that way and it worked out very well. We now have a Escape 21 and get the best of both worlds... Good luck and after your decision, never look back!
covey is offline   Reply With Quote