Ram 5'7" Bed clearance 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Ram 5'7" Bed clearance 5.0TA

Hi New guy to the Escape world. Picking up 5.0TA in a few months. 3000 mile trip one way. I have a Ram 1500 Crew Cab EcoDiesel with the 5'7" bed. I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch attached to a Curt gooseneck ball. My concerns are pin box bed rail clearance along with the cab clearance. Anyone have any experience with this configuration?
I've added Air Lift 1000HDs to compensate for the additional load.

Thanks jn
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Jim, from another Jim to our Escape world. I'm aware of several owners of 5.0 TA towing with a Ram 1500 and hoping they will chime in. Meanwhile ETI should be able to help you if you give them the height of your truck sidewalls. In addition Trademasters, located in Chilliwack installs several hitches for Escape models.\, they also maybe a source for your answers.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

Thanks Jim My son-in-law played for Penn State. Very pretty state. I think from my research that the Andersen will work. I've got about 25-30,000 miles towing gooseneck stock/horse trailers but did that in long bed Dodge Cummins 2500s.. When I got the short/short bed Ram I had no intention of towing anything. But, I think this will work with the 5.0TA. At least I hope so.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Trailer: looking to buy 5.0 or the 21'
Hello Jim,

I have the Toyota Tundra crew cab short bed, I was hoping to use an Anderson hitch too. When I wrote to Escape questioning if this would be a problem this was their reply.

In regards to the length of the truck bed. If your tow vehicle has a short box (5’6”l) then you will need to purchase a sliding hitch to tow the Escape 5.0TA as the hitch will be installed a minimum of 30” from the center of the pin to the back of the cab. If your tow vehicle has a longer box (6’ – 8’) then the minimum distance from the cab to the center of the pin should be no more than 30” OR the measurement from the center of the pin to the edge of the tailgate when lowered should be a maximum of 66”.

I am now thinking of getting the Escape 21ft trailer.

hope this helps, if you find out differently please let me know, I am putting my deposit down March 15th.
Dawn Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have a short bed F150 i use an Anderson not a sliding hitch works great
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

Thanks Dawn I got out the tape measure and I'm 34" from the back of the cab to the ball center. From the ball center to the tailgate was 35". To the side walls 31". The king pin will be offset from this pivot point I think about 3".
Old 02-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie View Post
I have the Toyota Tundra crew cab short bed, I was hoping to use an Anderson hitch too. When I wrote to Escape questioning if this would be a problem this was their reply.

Quote:
In regards to the length of the truck bed. If your tow vehicle has a short box (5’6”l) then you will need to purchase a sliding hitch to tow the Escape 5.0TA as the hitch will be installed a minimum of 30” from the center of the pin to the back of the cab. If your tow vehicle has a longer box (6’ – 8’) then the minimum distance from the cab to the center of the pin should be no more than 30” OR the measurement from the center of the pin to the edge of the tailgate when lowered should be a maximum of 66”.
I am now thinking of getting the Escape 21ft trailer.
I don't think any Escape 5.0 or 5.0TA owner uses a sliding hitch - although a few have them, they use them in a fixed position. There are two common solutions to this clearance problem that are actually used:
  1. Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system - the frame of this hitch is offset and can be turned rearward for more clearance
  2. non-standard mounting (further back than normal) of conventional fifth-wheel hitch

Escape staff have assisted many 5.0 and 5.0TA owners with setting up a hitch to make the cab-to-trailer clearance work, usually with the Andersen Ultimate system; it's unfortunate that the person who answered this question doesn't seem to know that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #8

I ask Escape and they replied that I shouldn't have any negative issues.