Retiring to a small travel trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Trailer: ESCAPE 18"
Retiring to a small travel trailer

HELLO ALL!!
I am 66 and in Michigan. I am retiring soon and have decided to purchase a small TT. I have only been looking at Casitas but have recently come across these Escapes. They seem to have more room.
Soooo....now it gets complicated...a Casita or an Escape. I see the Escape is more $$$...but the most important thing to me is comfort. It will be myself...my girlfriend:and a small schnoodle.
So the hunt begins.....
tomeverard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 17b
Having owned 3 Casitas and camped extensively in them, I would recommend the Escape. Better quality and floorplans.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Worth looking at Bigfoot trailers too.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We were poised, ready to order a Casita when we discovered first the RV Forum and then the Escape forum. We were astounded to discover they are built relatively close to our home in Victoria BC (compared to Texas!)

When we saw the Escape in person it was a no-brainer: 19 footer with permanent QUEEN bed and no fur on the walls (which really bothered me about the Casitas). Everything about the Escape was awesome and fits Glenn, Bella (mini daxie) and me very well.

We have had ours for 18 months now, with no regrets - very happy we spent the extra $$ to get a trailer we will love for a long time.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 17b
The rat fur (ensolite) was hard to keep clean, having dogs that like to sleep on the bed and thereby touching the walls.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I had a 17 ft Casita which I needed for the headroom the 16 ft didn't have. It was a good trailer for years, but with wifey retiring Oct 1, we'll be making more and longer trips plus adding 2 Jack Russell Terries, plus the grandkids now and then. The 21 fit the bill for us as it also has a fixed no-crawlover bed where I can elevate the head for wifeys GERD issues. I think the design and construction is also better (retired engineer) plus Casita is very uncooperative if you want to customize ANYTHING that is not on their options list. Good trailer, but for us the Escape 21 will fit for another 10 years at least.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I had a 17 ft Casita which I needed for the headroom the 16 ft didn't have.
Yes! Headroom was one thing we were also apprehensive about the Casita -a complete non-issue with the Escape. Glenn is 6' tall and, other than banging his head more often than is reasonable on the cupboard above the dinette, (he just won't learn...) there is lots of comfortable headroom for him. :
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Casitas have (marine) carpet on the walls, Scamps have Rat Fur (marine headliner) and pre-1988 Scamps and Bolers have ensolite (closed cell foam). They are all different and unique.

Actually Escape is the closest to have ensolite. Because it's a vinyl covered foam.

I currently own a rat fur Scamp. I love it. The rat fur isn't a problem, doesn't hold moisture or odors.

But, I'm exciting about being an Escape owner!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose View Post
Yes! Headroom was one thing we were also apprehensive about the Casita -a complete non-issue with the Escape. Glenn is 6' tall and, other than banging his head more often than is reasonable on the cupboard above the dinette, (he just won't learn...) there is lots of comfortable headroom for him. :
I'm 6-1 and the air conditioner on a Casita hangs down a couple of inches right between the seats - I always banged my head on it. Plus if you're over about 5-4, you'll eventually learn to duck going in and out the door. New Escape 21 on 8/22!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #10

Trailer: escape 21may 2014
tomeverard, We looked at a 17' in ann arbor right next door to you. Touch base with escape and they will give you a contact number. Our 21 finished this week and will be delivered the last week in june. You are welcome to take a look.
burrab2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Hi Tom. Just out of curiosity, did you pose a similar question on a Casita forum? It would be interesting to read what they said about Escapes.

For the record, I've owned a Burro and 2 Casitas before moving into an Escape solely for a little more room to accomodate Ann and I and our new 4 legged family member and all of her accouterments. I can't go along with Casitas being of inferior quality. My sentiments after 7 years and 25k miles is they are solid, well made and use good quality components. Rivets and carpeted walls were not detractors in anyway. Escape's are well made as well. In my estimation (down fellow Escapee's!), maybe not as well insulated as the Casita. Cold has a way of getting in a bit more.

Good luck on your decision. No really wrong one, either will get you into the fgrv world! Welcome!

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I currently have a Casita 17' FD and am thoroughly enjoying it. Picking up my new Escape 19 next month. I like the layout of the Escape better and am getting mine built to my specs. She's going to be my cancer therapy.

Each person's likes and preferences are different and change with time. The benefit of the fiberglass campers is the resale value is excellent and you can enjoy the benefits for years to come.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #13

Trailer: ESCAPE 18"
Yes....I did post a similar question on the Casita forum....and...pretty much the same result. Since it is a Casita forum...most of them prefer the Casitas. So far I have only looked at one Casita FD. It just seemed cramped for me. But I liked it. The plus side of a Casita is I can buy a pre-owned one.....hard to fine a pre=owned Escape for sale.
tomeverard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Welcome! Customizing has been mentioned & one of big draws besides quality for us. Since 60's have camped in tents, pop-ups, 5th wheels and also our sailboats. Always yearned to change / adapt layouts to fit our needs. With Escape you can. Forum is essential addiction as you can glean info from different people with different needs. :-)
One safety factor not mentioned yet is 19' has tandem axle. We've blown tires on hwy and know that benefit!!!
Spent two weekends in Ludington this month @ 30F lows and quite toasty with added insulation and insulated windows. Don't think you can get dual pane windows in Casita, but not sure.
Got ours in Oct. Spent 8 wks in FL this spring and still loving it!
Going to be near Holly, MI next weekend, 30 & 31 for g'daughter's state HS tennis torn. Don't know where we'll camp yet, but if you wish to see a 19', contact us.
John & Diane
Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Attending a rally was key for us. We were set to order a Casita and attended a rally to determine which model. After seeing the Casitas and Escapes side by side, we came back and ordered an Escape. Good luck in your decision.
ATHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Absolutely. Rallies provide an opportunity to see, touch, feel the various different RVs that are attending. And you can get some first-hand input from the owner of the RV you're interested.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #17

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
come to Bandon,Oregon in July. Reace has come for years and every year people come back with their new Escape's. Smart move on his part.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote