Southern Oregon 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2015, 01:45 AM   #11
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
MacMan, you got a Double Cab with the 6.5' bed correct? We need a Crewmax (for the interior space) and that means the 5.5' bed which of course leads to the concern about clearance between cab and trailer. I called a local hitch installer today to inquire about fifth wheel install in a short bed and they of course said I need to get at least a 6.5' bed. I'll have to go down there with 5.0TA specs and pictures I suppose unless I want to tackle the install myself.

I'm torn with the thought of a diesel. I get and like the idea of all the power at 2k rpm but I'm ok winding up a gas V8 to 3.5k rpm for max torque (Tundra 5.7 v8 has 401 lb. ft. @ 3.6k rpm). I have the tendency to downshift going up interstate grades in most every vehicle I've owned (not even towing). It's just the way I am. Plus Dodge wants a premium for that diesel option. One would have to factor in the extra cost for the engine, the higher cost of fuel and the higher maintenance cost of a diesel to see how long the payback would be.

None the less I appreciate your input and am glad you're happy with your decision!

T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:04 AM   #12
T&R

And here is a chalkboard drawing my wife made counting down the months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imageA.JPG (227.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 01-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
Love it! But, seeing that drawing every day, does it make it easier or harder to wait? (Asks he who has been waiting since June and is now jumping cuz his is done...)
Old 01-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
T&R, again, I have been through the same process as you. We have a Tundra Crew Max with a short bed for the very reason you mention - need the room inside of the cab.To settle the issue prior to purchasing the Tundra, I went up to Chilliwack and had a discussion with Reace about the short bed and a hitch for the 5.0TA. He says there is no problem and he has done it many times without a problem. The 5.0TA has a short front so the short bed will work just fine. The hitch is installed at least 30 inches from the window of the truck's cab to allow for clearance. I even looked at his truck (which I think is a short bed with a hitch in it) and it works great. I too have talked with several persons prior to going up to Chilliwack who install the hitches and they said :|"no, you need a long bed". But, when I showed them the pictures of the 5.0TA, they agreed it would work. Well, I didn't believe them so then I went to discuss the issue with Reace. I am tempted to have the hitch put in here in Texas near home but will resist the temptation and have them put it in up in Chilliwack for a couple reasons: 1) the company does it all the time for ETI and have the know-how for this particular rig 2) the dollar exchange rate is in my favor so it will be a lot less expensive 3) if I am trusting Reace with building my 5.0TA, I am also trusting him, and his judgment, with this issue. Hope this helps.
MacMan
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This is a direct link to show the pictures of Reace hooked up to the 5.0TA using his Ford F-150 5.5 bed. Too cool!

Page 4 Escape 5.0TA Update
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #16
T&R

I wonder about paying import fees/taxes/duties (whatever it is) when purchasing a hitch in Chilliwack then crossing back over to the US?

Also I'd like to go with a B&W Patriot hitch but Trademasters doesn't seem to carry the line (according to their website anyway).
Old 01-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #17

The hitch is part of the option package with ETI. It is purchased as part of the trailer and not from the company who installs it. Thus, it is not a separate purchase, which theoretically, would be taxable. I will end up paying the other company only for installation.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
The 5.0TA has a short front so the short bed will work just fine. The hitch is installed at least 30 inches from the window of the truck's cab to allow for clearance.
The length of the front part of the trailer doesn't make any difference; it is the width which determines the clearance needed when the rig turns... and the 5.0TA is 8" or 20 cm wider than the original 5.0. The pin of the 5.0TA is set somewhat further ahead of the body than with the original, so the trailer can turn further before the front corners of the trailer body run into the cab than with the pin right at the body edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I even looked at his truck (which I think is a short bed with a hitch in it) and it works great.
Yes, Reace's truck is an F-150 SuperCrew with 5.5' box. With only 30" of cab-to-hitch distance the trailer would never be able to turn 90 degrees (that would only work if the trailer body were only 60" wide rather than 88" wide), but as Reace has his setup it can still turn quite sharply.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #19

Quote:
I wonder about paying import fees/taxes/duties (whatever it is) when purchasing a hitch in Chilliwack then crossing back over to the US?

Also I'd like to go with a B&W Patriot hitch but Trademasters doesn't seem to carry the line (according to their website anyway).
Trademasters installed our original hitch which was provided by Escape industries. When we subsequently purchased a new vehicle and a Curt hitch they reinstalled the original rails that I had removed from our first vehicle. They are ok if you don't purchase the hitch from them. I would get the hitch you want in the States and bring it with you. While the Canadian dollar is in your favour the base price of the Canadian hitch isn't.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
That's great!

Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote