Southern Oregon 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Southern Oregon 5.0TA

Hello,

Randie and Trenton here from Medford Oregon. Last month we put our deposit down on a 5.0TA . This will be our first trailer and we are really excited . We looked at a 17' and 19', but wanted a little more space for the dogs, so we decided on the 5.0. We haven't actually seen the 5.0, but I'm sure we will love it. We are anxiously awaiting our trip to ETI in September to pick up "Olaf". So much to do between now and then. It will be here before we know it.

The forum has been a great help as we ponder the build sheet. It's nice to see others who are excited about their Escapes and have so much insight.

Kind regards,
Randie & Trenton
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Randie and Trenton,

Now that you've come to the right place, get in touch with the right person: Donna. She's a 5.0 TA owner in Portland.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/me...nna+d.-70.html
Old 01-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Welcome to the Escape Family If you get a chance head up to Chilliwack and take a look at what ETI has, you'll be impressed. Oh, and the Best Western is next door to ETI and they accept dogs.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Randie & Trenton, welcome to the Escape crowd. You are a little way out from having to get your build sheet in and being that close to Chiliwack, you might consider a trip there before turning it in. You might even change your mind on the model like we did after we went up there and compared side by side. Plus you get a good idea of all the options and Reace and Tammy are great folks to work with. Trips like that make for a great vacation in themselves. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hey Randie and Trenton, welcome!

As Robert said, I'm in Portland. The last weekend in April, there's will be a large group of us camping at L.L. Stub Stewart State Park. There's going to be a number of Escape trailers in attendance, including two 5.0TAs! Come on up! I believe there's cabins to rent if you'd like to stay for a night or two or three.

I don't know how much of the information you can see at this CasitaForum post: 2015 Spring NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering - Casita Travel Trailer Forum

If you have any questions, let me know!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I drove through Southern Oregon on my way to pick up my Escape and for the Bandon gathering. It's a beautiful state and I was very impressed with what I saw.

I bought an Escape 19 and the 5.0 was a very close 2nd. It's a great trailer and you'll be very happy with your choice. I know I love my 19.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Welcome, Randie and Trenton,
I don't know how a trailer gets the name "Olaf" but I like it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:20 AM   #8
T&R

Thanks for the warm welcome. We'll put some thought into the possibility of going to Chilliwack before our build sheet is due. It would be nice to see some of the available options in person. We may be able to coordinate the trip around the NOG in April too.

We came up with the name "Olaf" after the snowman in the movie Frozen; both are white so it just made sense.

We also need to purchase a tow vehicle so we've been reading related posts on here as well. We want to go with a full size pickup. Where we live any place you go is "up" so we'd rather have too much truck than just enough. And not to mention the greater interior space of a full size. We're Toyota fans but the Tundra gets the worst mileage & is a little more expensive compared to Ford & Chevy. But you get Toyota quality. Decisions decisions...

Trenton
Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Trenton, we too were recently at the same decision point(s) as you: what to purchase? After 18-24 months of study, we decided on getting a 5.0TA and a Tundra. The 5.0TA decision was a relatively easy decision: easier to tow, queen size bed, my wife liked it! The truck was a more difficult decision. We really liked the Ram 1500 for comfort and mileage. Chevy and Ford were not even options for us. After looking at Consumer Reports and talking to several mechanics, we chose the Tundra: reliability, reliability, reliability. One mechanic even told me that he wanted to send Ford and Chevy 'thank you' notes for sending him so much business! The mileage difference on all trucks is terrible. So we get a couple less miles/gallon with the Tundra. We purchased a 1794 Tundra (made right here in Texas) and love it. In the long run, reliability of the Tundra will pay for itself. Besides, we have two other Toyotas: 4 Runner (2006) and Camry (2000). Good luck making your decision(s).
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
There are many tow vehicles out there, new and pre-owned. I was originally looking for a good certified pre-owned and drove all of the 2014 half ton trucks. The one I got was the 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.

Rated at 19/28 MPG, 240 HP/420 foot lbs of torque at 2,000 RPM. All this from a 3.0 liter V6 turbo charged diesel engine. It pulls my 19 like it's not even back there.

All of the current generation trucks are nice, well built and excellent tow vehicles. It took me over 2 months to find mine. The ecodiesel is in very high demand now.

What was the determining factor for me was when I sat in it, drove one and took into consideration how the interior is laid out, I was most comfortable with the Ram and don't regret my decision at all. It ain't your daddy's pickup.

Best of luck in your search.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:45 AM   #11
T&R

MacMan, you got a Double Cab with the 6.5' bed correct? We need a Crewmax (for the interior space) and that means the 5.5' bed which of course leads to the concern about clearance between cab and trailer. I called a local hitch installer today to inquire about fifth wheel install in a short bed and they of course said I need to get at least a 6.5' bed. I'll have to go down there with 5.0TA specs and pictures I suppose unless I want to tackle the install myself.

I'm torn with the thought of a diesel. I get and like the idea of all the power at 2k rpm but I'm ok winding up a gas V8 to 3.5k rpm for max torque (Tundra 5.7 v8 has 401 lb. ft. @ 3.6k rpm). I have the tendency to downshift going up interstate grades in most every vehicle I've owned (not even towing). It's just the way I am. Plus Dodge wants a premium for that diesel option. One would have to factor in the extra cost for the engine, the higher cost of fuel and the higher maintenance cost of a diesel to see how long the payback would be.

None the less I appreciate your input and am glad you're happy with your decision!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:04 AM   #12
T&R

And here is a chalkboard drawing my wife made counting down the months.
Attached Thumbnails
imageA.JPG  
Old 01-28-2015, 05:57 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
Love it! But, seeing that drawing every day, does it make it easier or harder to wait? (Asks he who has been waiting since June and is now jumping cuz his is done...)
Old 01-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #14

T&R, again, I have been through the same process as you. We have a Tundra Crew Max with a short bed for the very reason you mention - need the room inside of the cab.To settle the issue prior to purchasing the Tundra, I went up to Chilliwack and had a discussion with Reace about the short bed and a hitch for the 5.0TA. He says there is no problem and he has done it many times without a problem. The 5.0TA has a short front so the short bed will work just fine. The hitch is installed at least 30 inches from the window of the truck's cab to allow for clearance. I even looked at his truck (which I think is a short bed with a hitch in it) and it works great. I too have talked with several persons prior to going up to Chilliwack who install the hitches and they said :|"no, you need a long bed". But, when I showed them the pictures of the 5.0TA, they agreed it would work. Well, I didn't believe them so then I went to discuss the issue with Reace. I am tempted to have the hitch put in here in Texas near home but will resist the temptation and have them put it in up in Chilliwack for a couple reasons: 1) the company does it all the time for ETI and have the know-how for this particular rig 2) the dollar exchange rate is in my favor so it will be a lot less expensive 3) if I am trusting Reace with building my 5.0TA, I am also trusting him, and his judgment, with this issue. Hope this helps.
MacMan
Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This is a direct link to show the pictures of Reace hooked up to the 5.0TA using his Ford F-150 5.5 bed. Too cool!

Page 4 Escape 5.0TA Update
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #16
T&R

I wonder about paying import fees/taxes/duties (whatever it is) when purchasing a hitch in Chilliwack then crossing back over to the US?

Also I'd like to go with a B&W Patriot hitch but Trademasters doesn't seem to carry the line (according to their website anyway).
Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #17

The hitch is part of the option package with ETI. It is purchased as part of the trailer and not from the company who installs it. Thus, it is not a separate purchase, which theoretically, would be taxable. I will end up paying the other company only for installation.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
The 5.0TA has a short front so the short bed will work just fine. The hitch is installed at least 30 inches from the window of the truck's cab to allow for clearance.
The length of the front part of the trailer doesn't make any difference; it is the width which determines the clearance needed when the rig turns... and the 5.0TA is 8" or 20 cm wider than the original 5.0. The pin of the 5.0TA is set somewhat further ahead of the body than with the original, so the trailer can turn further before the front corners of the trailer body run into the cab than with the pin right at the body edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I even looked at his truck (which I think is a short bed with a hitch in it) and it works great.
Yes, Reace's truck is an F-150 SuperCrew with 5.5' box. With only 30" of cab-to-hitch distance the trailer would never be able to turn 90 degrees (that would only work if the trailer body were only 60" wide rather than 88" wide), but as Reace has his setup it can still turn quite sharply.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
I wonder about paying import fees/taxes/duties (whatever it is) when purchasing a hitch in Chilliwack then crossing back over to the US?

Also I'd like to go with a B&W Patriot hitch but Trademasters doesn't seem to carry the line (according to their website anyway).
Trademasters installed our original hitch which was provided by Escape industries. When we subsequently purchased a new vehicle and a Curt hitch they reinstalled the original rails that I had removed from our first vehicle. They are ok if you don't purchase the hitch from them. I would get the hitch you want in the States and bring it with you. While the Canadian dollar is in your favour the base price of the Canadian hitch isn't.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
That's great!
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote