Thinking about a 19 foot - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 10:56 PM   #1

Trailer: empty 2
Thinking about a 19 foot

Greetings from Ashland, Oregon. We have a 17 foot Casita and are seriously considering moving to the 19 foot Escape. We do most of our camping in the Oregon State Parks on the Coast and some off the grid National Park and Forest Service campgrounds.

Will be looking into the possibility. If you have any perspectives to share, I'd greatly appreciate it... particularly what you like best about the 19. We take about 10 trips a year (this year a couple of long distance). My tow vehicle is one of the GMC Canyon diesels set up for towing.

Thanks! Looking forward to learning more about Escapes and hoping to purchase one.

Art
ArtTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Art: You might find this thread interesting.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...else-1767.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtTrek View Post
If you have any perspectives to share, I'd greatly appreciate it... particularly what you like best about the 19.
Welcome aboard Art. Our favorite thing about our 19 is the function of the floor plan, with a full 60x80 queen bed tucked away on one end, and a 4 person dinette on the other. Three years in and it's still the perfect fit for us. The towing experience with tandem axles is better too. If you order, be sure to consider the front storage box and the factory solar package as options. We love ours.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Art: You might find this thread interesting.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...else-1767.html
Thank you! It's an interesting string...
Old 08-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Welcome aboard Art. Our favorite thing about our 19 is the function of the floor plan, with a full 60x80 queen bed tucked away on one end, and a 4 person dinette on the other. Three years in and it's still the perfect fit for us. The towing experience with tandem axles is better too. If you order, be sure to consider the front storage box and the factory solar package as options. We love ours.
Thanks! I'm thinking about the solar options, but we usually camp where there isn't great access to the sun... The idea of not having to change the bed/dinette twice a day is a VERY nice thought!!!
Old 08-06-2018, 12:25 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Thanks! I'm thinking about the solar options, but we usually camp where there isn't great access to the sun... The idea of not having to change the bed/dinette twice a day is a VERY nice thought!!!
Look at a 21 too, the extra 6 inch aisle space is what made us switch when we had originally targeted a 19 after our Casita. No crawl-over bed sealed the deal (and the huge bathroom.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:

Will be looking into the possibility. If you have any perspectives to share, I'd greatly appreciate it... particularly what you like best about the 19.

Art
The floor plan of the 19 did it for us! Walking in, the dinette on the right and the bed tucked away in the back.
With all the options available, you have the chance to design your Escape to your own needs.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy and his wife and my wife and I have camped together often. He has a 19 and we have a 17B.
Anytime we get together for dinner inside, or to play cards, we end up in his 19 with the four-person dinette.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #9

What do you tow with?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Look at a 21 too, the extra 6 inch aisle space is what made us switch when we had originally targeted a 19 after our Casita. No crawl-over bed sealed the deal (and the huge bathroom.)
We planned on getting the 19, but drove to Chilliwack to see all of the trailers. One look at the 21 and we were in the office writing up the order.

Do Tammy and Reace still have those big farting Rotwilers?
Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Greetings from Ashland, Oregon. We have a 17 foot Casita and are seriously considering moving to the 19 foot Escape. We do most of our camping in the Oregon State Parks on the Coast and some off the grid National Park and Forest Service campgrounds.

Art
We moved from a Casita Liberty 17 to our Escape 19. The purchase of the Casita was a mistake for us. The first rally we went to (Cherokee) we toured an Escape 19 and started shopping.

#1 improvement for us was the big dinette in the front. With the Liberty, you basically used part of the bed as your dinette, and I never could sit comfortably on it (weird ergonomics at least for me). Another big benefit is my wife and I can actually pass each other in the aisle way, which we couldn't do on the Casita.

Storage wise, Escape is a home run compared to the Casita. Most of the lower cabinets in the Casita are not available for storage at all, they contain the water tank, pump, battery, electric control panel, furnace, hot water heater. Just the storage under the bed on our 19 is more than we had with the Casita. Then you have the storage under the front dinette. Then the storage box out front.

We didn't get a 21 for one reason, it wouldn't fit in our storage area. The 21 is a fine trailer too. But I consider it an incremental change over the 19, whereas the move from the Casita 17 to the Escape 19 was a step change.

Minor complaint on the Casita floorplan, I really don't like a front bath. I prefer a larger dinette on one end, and a bed on the opposite end. Molded FG trailers with side dinettes all have very small dinettes. You really have to go to one end or the other to get a larger dinette.

Another minor benefit with the Escape is the dual axle. Had a flat on my dual axle, no big deal.

Casita trailers are nice, they just didn't fit for us.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Tow my 19 with a 2014 Silverado 1500. 5.3L V-8. Tows just about anywhere, averages probably 14.7 mpg. No sway bar, etc. needed. A perfect fit for us.
Attached Thumbnails
ValCad.jpg  
Old 08-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
What do you tow with?
F150 SuperCrew, EcoBoost V6. Love the combo.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Nissan Frontier, towing 19. Plenty of truck for the 19.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #15

2010 F150 Lariat Supercab, 5.4V8. If I were to buy a new truck, I would get a F150 Super Crew with the 3.5 EB motor. My prior truck before my 2010 was a Supercrew. Yes, the rear bed is usually smaller, but the added inside space is worth it. You can get a Super Crew with a longer bed, that makes the truck too long for me.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
You can get a Super Crew with a longer bed, that makes the truck too long for me.
It's a truck, there is no such thing as too long of a bed. I got the SuperCrew with the 6.5' bed, the shortest bed I have had in a truck in 35 years, and I have always owned a truck for work.

Seriously though, if I did not want the length I would be using an SUV which I did with my 19 most of the time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It's a truck, there is no such thing as too long of a bed. I got the SuperCrew with the 6.5' bed, the shortest bed I have had in a truck in 35 years, and I have always owned a truck for work.

Seriously though, if I did not want the length I would be using an SUV which I did with my 19 most of the time.
It’s the limited access for our garage. It’s either standard cab and 8 ft bed, Supercab with 6 1/2 ft bed, or Supercrew with 5 1/2 ft bed. I’ve also given thought to a full sized van for the next vehicle.

If I had the room, the Supercrew with the 6 1-2 ft bed would be awesome!
Old 08-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
It’s the limited access for our garage. It’s either standard cab and 8 ft bed, Supercab with 6 1/2 ft bed, or Supercrew with 5 1/2 ft bed. I’ve also given thought to a full sized van for the next vehicle.

If I had the room, the Supercrew with the 6 1-2 ft bed would be awesome!
Excellent point - you have to have the room to park it. In our old house the garage was not very deep and we couldn't park our SuperCrew with the short bed inside. We purposely had the garage in our new house built extra deep at 26 feet. That'll work.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
We previously owned a 17' Casita and a 19' Escape. We now have a 2018 21' Escape. We live in Bend and, if not camping, would be happy to show it to you should you come to Bend.

Bob
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #20
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
19 vs 21

We also looked at both the 21 and 19 at Escape in Chilliwack. The 21 felt so much roomier with more floor space. I believe the weight and cost are pretty similar. You may want to consider looking at both if you decide on an Escape. I believe I read somewhere in the forum that because of the layout/design of the 19, it is more prone to swaying while towing and requires a WDH with sway bars (have to take them off to back up), while the 21 for us only required a WDH with our full size pickup, but this would likely vary depending on your tow vehicle.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19 foot, prospective buyer