Time to enjoy my retirement! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 Escape
Time to enjoy my retirement!

As a newly retired federal LEO, I've decided to take the plunge and buy a 5.0. I recently visited ETI in Chilliwack and was very impressed with my salesperson, Linda. I am giving myself a few weeks before I commit so that I can make sure I have all my questions and concerns answered/resolved. I expect I will sign the dotted line around the first of Oct. Here's to early retirement and NO STRESS!
TNLynn
TNLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Congratulations Lynn, on both your retirement and a 5.0TA in your future.

You're going to find retirement to be the best... and the hardest job you've ever had. Both beat working!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #3

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLynn View Post
As a newly retired federal LEO, I've decided to take the plunge and buy a 5.0. I recently visited ETI in Chilliwack and was very impressed with my salesperson, Linda. I am giving myself a few weeks before I commit so that I can make sure I have all my questions and concerns answered/resolved. I expect I will sign the dotted line around the first of Oct. Here's to early retirement and NO STRESS!
TNLynn
I'm totally new to RV life but have found this forum jam-packed with invaluable pieces of information not found elsewhere. Indeed, you're not likely to find folks more patient than those in this community! Best wishes! 🌻

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 E19
Send a message via MSN to Lynda Send a message via Yahoo to Lynda
Hey Tennessee!
Welcome to the world of Escape travel trailers and to retirement!!I retired from the military 9 years ago.. And I feel like I'm busier now than I ever was in 27 years of service. But it's definitely NO STRESS busy!! no threats of article 15s or career-ending actions (smile) just doing things I wanna do now; no one can fire me! just need to find time to go camping more...
Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 Escape
Thanks!

I plan on enjoying retirement. Right now, I am playing "catch up" but after the first of the year, it should all calm down. I was working 6-7 days a week and things were neglected. Now, I'm like -- LET ME AT 'EM! It sure does feel good to get these things accomplished...LOL
TNLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
I plan on enjoying retirement. Right now, I am playing "catch up" but after the first of the year, it should all calm down. I was working 6-7 days a week and things were neglected. Now, I'm like -- LET ME AT 'EM! It sure does feel good to get these things accomplished...LOL
On the Cumberland northwest of Nashville is a great campground if you like to watch river boats pushing barges up and down the river. The Cheatham Dam COE campground. I spent a couple of days there visiting family and got sold on COE campgrounds. Very peaceful pretty location with water, electric and a dump station. No shower but nice restrooms. During the week you almost can pick your spot. I'm not sure what their season is but it would be very convenient to the Nashville area. I think the reservation site is: recreation.gov This would have a campground map plus pictures of the individual sites
Old 09-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
On the Cumberland northwest of Nashville is a great campground if you like to watch river boats pushing barges up and down the river.
Thanks for this. Earlier this year I stayed at a COE campground on a lake east of Nashville. It was nice, but this sounds more interesting. I'll remember it for future trips.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
TNLynn
We're working with Linda too. She's been fabulous!

Have fun picking out your colors and materials.

Gori
Old 09-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks for this. Earlier this year I stayed at a COE campground on a lake east of Nashville. It was nice, but this sounds more interesting. I'll remember it for future trips.
Mike You're welcome. The Cheatham Dam COE area stretches for about two miles. When you enter through the gate and turn left the campground is situated along river upstream toward Nashville. If you turn right there are covered picnic tables along the river bank with a sanded swim beach. If you continue you wind up at the lock and dam. A couple in a Casita were parked next to me and they told me the river tugs with the barges tied over night just upstream of the dam waiting to lock through in the morning. I missed that.
Gonna be in Eastpoint FL on the 24th. My wife read a book and the story took place in Apalachicola and she wants to visit Apalachicola so I'll be headed to Florida.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 E19
Send a message via MSN to Lynda Send a message via Yahoo to Lynda
I love COE campgrounds. I've stayed in some really nice ones. Always clean and well-laid out. Prices are decent, too.. AND they honor my National Park Access Pass, so I get 50% off!
Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda View Post
I love COE campgrounds. I've stayed in some really nice ones. Always clean and well-laid out. Prices are decent, too.. AND they honor my National Park Access Pass, so I get 50% off!
Headed up tomorrow to COE Modoc about 19 miles on Lake Thurmond on the South Carolina side of the Savannah then about three weeks later I head over to COE Petersburg 21 miles on the Georgia Side. If I planned it right I could live lake front year round for less than $400/mo. Last month we did 3 nights at COE Paynes Creek on Lake Hartwell. I'm a believer
Old 09-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Quote:
<SNIPPED>
Gonna be in Eastpoint FL on the 24th. My wife read a book and the story took place in Apalachicola and she wants to visit Apalachicola so I'll be headed to Florida.

Enjoy your stay at Eastpoint, FL. it is the one place the wife and I never get tired of visiting. We go at least once a year. It was two weeks before hurricane Michael blasted the area since we were there last. We will be returning there on Oct. 17 for some much needed beach time, not to mention the great seafood.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJ Michael View Post
Enjoy your stay at Eastpoint, FL. it is the one place the wife and I never get tired of visiting. We go at least once a year. It was two weeks before hurricane Michael blasted the area since we were there last. We will be returning there on Oct. 17 for some much needed beach time, not to mention the great seafood.
Speaking about one of my favorite subjects Any seafood joints you could recommend?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
TNLynn
So, I assume you've considered the whole field of RV options before settling on a trailer-5th wheel-Escape? I ask as many folks end up selling their first choice rather rapidly, and at a significant discount after they learn what they really want in an RV. For instance, we sold our class B+ (and purchased our 17B) after one winter season when we found out how poor it was in snow. You might also consider a used unit to hedge your bets.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Which campground do you recommend?

Old 09-16-2019, 11:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Speaking about one of my favorite subjects Any seafood joints you could recommend?

The Red Pirate is a good everyday type place, and is heavily frequented by the locals. In Apalachicola the Grill, on the corner where hwy 98 turns left, is another good place that we like and is a local hangout as well. A couple of blocks over on the river are two places we have gone to previously, Boss Oyster and Caroline's. Those we haven't gone to in a few years, Boss Oyster is as its name implies oysters any way you like. Having had a bad experience at another place west of Apalachicola I have given up oysters. As for Caroline's, we found the quality getting to be iffy one time it was good and the next not so. Out 98 east of Eastpoint there is another restaurant that always has a good local crowd, I can't remember the name right now but if you want I will post it when we get there in October.

If you haven't noticed we tend to follow the locals for restaurant choices, especially the ones that are busy during lunch. We found that if the local lunch crowd eats at a place it tends to be of better quality. This is making me hungry thinking about all of the goodies.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Which campground do you recommend?

For us the only one we stay at when we are there is the state park on St. George Island, Dr. Julian G. Bruce St. George Island SP. You can tell how popular a Florida SP is by how hard it is to get a campsite. We make our reservations 11 months in advance, and then it is a tossup as to whether we can get a site we tend to favor. There are other campgrounds both east and west of there but like I said we are partial to SGI.

It's going to be interesting going back since they were closed for about 6 or 8 months from the hurricane. The last I have read is some of the picnic pavilions are not open.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Hurricane Michael was not kind to this area especially the sate parks. One of our favorites near their St. Josephs Peninsula State park I doubt will ever get its campground back. St George Island State Park had to close for a while and still not sure all the sites are open back up.
Never stayed in any of the private campgrounds because we avoid those but the pricing for those in that area is reasonable.
Lots of good places to eat in that area, trip adviser is a good source for reviews for that.

Enjoy the journey.
Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #19

I'm sorry to hear about all of the damage in Florida - including the campgrounds - but hope to visit one of the two parks mentioned above one day, as I'm now living in Houston and planning to pick up my 17B in October. Sadly, the water at many of the beaches in nearby Galveston is not good for swimming.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #20

Quote:
The Red Pirate is a good everyday type place, and is heavily frequented by the locals. In Apalachicola the Grill, on the corner where hwy 98 turns left, is another good place that we like and is a local hangout as well. A couple of blocks over on the river are two places we have gone to previously, Boss Oyster and Caroline's. Those we haven't gone to in a few years, Boss Oyster is as its name implies oysters any way you like. Having had a bad experience at another place west of Apalachicola I have given up oysters. As for Caroline's, we found the quality getting to be iffy one time it was good and the next not so. Out 98 east of Eastpoint there is another restaurant that always has a good local crowd, I can't remember the name right now but if you want I will post it when we get there in October.

If you haven't noticed we tend to follow the locals for restaurant choices, especially the ones that are busy during lunch. We found that if the local lunch crowd eats at a place it tends to be of better quality. This is making me hungry thinking about all of the goodies.
. Thanks. My wife will appreciate the info as do I. Let me know the name of that restaurant. We’re gonna be there next week but there’s always next time. Thanks again. Jn
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote