Time to Unfold - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #41

Trailer: ""
I had a parts issues with my first gen. Highlander; notably brake calipers. The Canadian Tire nearest to where it broke down found a rebuilt unit. Rear brakes were the Achilles' heel of that vehicle.

I have not had parts issues or warranty difficulties with my 09 Santa Fe which replaced my Highlander.

I have learned the hard way (did it twice) not to buy a first model year. Too bad because the new Chev. Colorados and GMC Canyons look very interesting, especially the diesels coming out next year.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #42

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i just got rid of my Santa Fe and bought a Highlander to tow my (soon to get) 17b. My Santa Fe was an older version a V6 It was a great car but i was concerned it was not up to the task. I love my Highlander it is used - a 2009- but factory tow set up and Cert. I'm guessing it will tow well i have had good luck with Toyota in the past.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
I have learned the hard way (did it twice) not to buy a first model year. Too bad because the new Chev. Colorados and GMC Canyons look very interesting, especially the diesels coming out next year.
My first-year (2004) Toyota Sienna and first-year (1988 ) Honda CRX have not been problematic, but I agree this is a legitimate concern.

The "new" 2015 Colorado for North America is a revision of the existing worldwide Colorado, so the risk is somewhat mitigated. The 2016 (model year) diesel will be the worldwide engine for that model, so although it will be tweaked for North America (risking issues) it will basically be a proven engine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm just glad I've only got 65,000 kilometers on my RAV4 because there isn't a single vehicle out there that I'd want to plunk down $40,000 on.
They're all sorta like choosing between Campbell's Cream of Mushroom or Campbell's Cream of Celery.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #45

Trailer: ""
Unfortunately it seems that in something as complex as an automobile it only takes a minor change to mess it up.

I felt that my first year Highlander was a 'safe' buy because it was very similar to the Lexus something or other and had been on the market in Asia. I was proven wrong.

I also bought a first year 84? Subaru that had engine problems and rusted badly. After a new engine the problem turned out to be that the type of rubber in the oil seals on a proven engine had been changed and were breaking down causing excessive oil consumption.

I had almost forgotten that my 76 Dodge Aspen was a first model year too but was similar to the Dodge Dart with the same well respected in line 6. It was prone to stalling on acceleration. Many many months and after a lot of non-warranty repair attempts at my expense the stalling problem was found to be a material change in the carburetor. It was deforming under heat.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Unfortunately it seems that in something as complex as an automobile it only takes a minor change to mess it up...
I agree... and those small changes are often made in the middle of a product cycle, and sometimes even partway through a model year. It isn't just a first-year-of-the-new-model issue, although of course it's more of an issue due to more new features in that first year.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm just glad I've only got 65,000 kilometers on my RAV4 because there isn't a single vehicle out there that I'd want to plunk down $40,000 on.
They're all sorta like choosing between Campbell's Cream of Mushroom or Campbell's Cream of Celery.
I hear you. Unfortunately, I have 91,000 Miles on my 2010 RAV4. I suspect I will be replacing it with a Tacoma, but hopefully not for awhile. On the other hand, I'm planning a trip to Alaska next year & I'm going to have to decide whether I want to take a tow vehicle with over 100,000 miles or not.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
100,000 miles is really not that much, is it? I hear of vehicles getting easily double that, and more. I guess towing miles are a bit tougher on these smaller vehicles though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #49

Our Toyota Sienna has about 160,000 km (100,000 miles) on it. I would not hestitate to use it for a long trailer-towing trip. I expect another 100,000 km or more out of my vehicles at that point.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
100,000 miles is really not that much, is it? I hear of vehicles getting easily double that, and more. I guess towing miles are a bit tougher on these smaller vehicles though.
Hi: Jim Bennett... But they're Toyota's!!! They only keep going and going when the accelerator sticks LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
200,000 mile toyotas

Both of my kids have Toyotas with 250,000 + miles on them. Still running fine. But unfortunately we have to get rid of our beloved Sienna van with only 63,000 miles because it won't pull the 21. We have a new Highlander on order, since the 2014s have more cargo space -- I am hoping it is tall enough to hold a couple of upright bikes if their front wheels are removed. But to the point, I guess I wouldn't hesitate to take a toyota with 100,000 miles to Alaska.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote