Time to Unfold - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

Trailer: ""
Time to Unfold

We have enjoyed a Chalet A-frame almost 10 years and have put tens of thousands of kilometers on it but we're looking at something to address its shortcomings.

The Chalet tows very nicely, sets up quickly, is equipped with a cassette toilet and shower but by design it lacks any overhead storage space and the dining area has to be converted to a bed every night. As well the seams between the folding panels don't always seal properly letting in cold and bugs. High wind can present a serious problem to opening and closing the unit.

I like the advantages of a fiberglass trailer and have looked at Casitas and Scamps but the Escape 17B seems to most closely match what we are looking for. It's not much bigger than the 16' Chalet but has a permanent bed option and considerably more storage.

At this point the tongue weight of a fully outfitted 17B Escape with 2 propane tanks and the apparent lack of kitchen counter space are my concerns. Seeing weight equalizing hitches on the options list doesn't allay the former. One of the photos appears to show a folding counter extension?

I am going to hang out and read the posts here before making a commitment.

Bill
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The tongue weight is what it is. I run about 320#.
Counter space is limited, even with the counter extension. You have to put stuff away. But, we do a limited amount of cooking inside. Mainly just making coffee in the morning and sometimes using a burner to heat wieners and beans. Our kitchen is mainly the picnic table outside, with portable BBQ and a couple butane burners ( one is usually enough ).
If you convert the rear bed to a dinette daily, you have a large table to work with in addition to the counter extension. We don't.
We leave the counter extension in the up position and sleep with our feet at that end.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Welcome Bill,

I cannot help you with specs on the Escape. I too browsed at the Casita and Scamp but have been nothing more than impressed with the Escape.

I have gained a wealth of information from other members here who are always willing to assist.

So gather your questions, fire away, sit back relax and your answers will appear!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply. Is that with dual tanks?

We are more travellers than campers. We take extended trips and do all our food preparation and most of our dining inside. We currently have a 3 burner stove and use all three of them for most main meals. We also have what is called an extended galley which gives us several feet of counter space for food preparation.

Not converting the bed to a table to a bed... is the number one reason we are 'upgrading'.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #5

Thanks. I belong to a Chalet group that is also very supportive and informative. I joined it a year or so before I bought my Chalet. As they say, it's like deja vu all over again.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #6

Tongue weight is dual propane. Not sure it makes much difference since you want to maintain 12 to 15 per cent of the trailer weight, which is about 312#.

We eat inside at the two-person front dinette, when not eating outside. Don't know how one would create more counter space without leaving out the bath/shower, the fridge, the double bed...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I measure my loaded weight, both trailer & tongue at the start of each trip. With full dual propane tanks, and 1/3 fresh water, I was at 3010 lbs & 348 tongue weight. I do have the front storage box with about 50 lbs of stuff in it & a power jack.

As to kitchen space, I haven't had a problem cooking for one, however I have to admit I do most of mine outside the trailer on a Coleman combined stove/grill.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
It crunches one side of the dinette, but I put a counter extension on the front window side of the "wardrobe closet" (cupboard for me.) Or, like the larger Escapes, one could put it on the door side, as long as there's not in and out traffic.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I measure my loaded weight, both trailer & tongue at the start of each trip. With full dual propane tanks, and 1/3 fresh water, I was at 3010 lbs & 348 tongue weight. I do have the front storage box with about 50 lbs of stuff in it & a power jack.

As to kitchen space, I haven't had a problem cooking for one, however I have to admit I do most of mine outside the trailer on a Coleman combined stove/grill.
Ouch! Although most of that 50# of stuff will be in the tongue weight.

Why only 1/3 water? Is the storage tank fore or aft of the axle? My tank is aft and I keep it full as much as possible to reduce tongue weight. Also mine has no baffles so it sloshes around a lot if not full. Does the Escape tank have baffles?

And if I may ask yet another, where are the grey and blackwater tanks in respect to the axle?

Thank you.

Bill
Old 04-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
... you want to maintain 12 to 15 per cent of the trailer weight, which is about 312#.
The typical rule of thumb for weight-carrying (not weight-distribution or "WD") hitch setups is 10% of trailer weight; Toyota (for instance) says specifically to run 9% to 11% of the trailer weight on the hitch. With WD, the recommended number is more typically 12% to 15%, but at 15% you're up into the levels more typical of gooseneck trailers.

I run 10% with my Boler (similar to an Escape, the length of an Escape 17', the width of an Escape 19', and between them in weight), and stability is fine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #11

Trailer: TBD
You said that the biggest reason that you are switching from your Chalet is the full time bed so perhaps consider the 17A. You give up the bath and shower but the dinette table is right next to the sink and could be used for additional food prep.
I know there are folks that use the 17A and carry a porta potty type arraignment. Just a thought.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
You said that the biggest reason that your switching from your Chalet is the full time bed so perhaps consider the 17A. You give up the bath and shower but the dinette table is right next to the sink and could be used for additional food prep.
I know there are folks that use the 17A and carry a porta potty type arraignment. Just a thought.
The bathroom is non-negotiable. We have one in our current trailer. Not giving that up. Thanks anyway.

Bill
Old 04-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
we have a 17B and sleep the same way as Glen and keep the counter extension up always.
I also have another counter extension higher upon the fridge wall.. Nice night table for glasses and books at night and a place for pots and pans when washing dishes. If we have a lot of company and a lot of dishes I have put a towel on the bed for the dirty dishes...
Our stove has a cover so we use that for meal prep like lunches. The sink also as a cover so when I make coffee in the morning it get made on the sink cover as the stove is in use boiling the water...or making toast.

We do now use a small BBQ outside but mainly my cooking is inside the trailer...

Otherwise I use the small dinette table for a counter--When we have power I have my toaster oven on the small wardrobe.
We don't have stuff laying around. After it's used it gets put away...

Can't remember our tongue weight but when we got our storage box Reace weighed things and we were okay...Bulky not heavy stuff tends to go in our storage box...

I remember talking to someone with a Chalet in Waterton Park and she couldn't believe the weight of our trailer or the amount of storage in comparison to her trailer...
Old 04-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #14

"I remember talking to someone with a Chalet in Waterton Park and she couldn't believe the weight of our trailer or the amount of storage in comparison to her trailer..."

That statement could be good or bad. I assume the 17B was lighter and had more storage, but...
Old 04-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh poo, get the 21' and you'll have five feet of counter space and full time bed, bathroom and large rear dinette. Or, the 5er.. sorta the same specs.

It's tough making these decisions and trying to stay lightweight and small. That's almost an oxymoron. But fortunately there are options in the all molded world. You just have to be adaptable, decide what's best for you and your needs and your tug needs.

Good luck in your decision!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bill, You do not mention your tow vehicle either, what limits does it have?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh poo, get the 21' and you'll have five feet of counter space and full time bed, bathroom and large rear dinette. Or, the 5er.. sorta the same specs.

It's tough making these decisions and trying to stay lightweight and small. That's almost an oxymoron. But fortunately there are options in the all molded world. You just have to be adaptable, decide what's best for you and your needs and your tug needs.

Good luck in your decision!
Thanks. The 17B seems to closely meet my requirements.

These are my must haves:
  • Bathroom
  • Permanent bed - option
  • Fiberglass body
  • Lots of amp hours - option
  • Dual Propane tanks with auto switch over - option
  • Towable by a mid size 6 cyl. SUV or equivalent

The counter space is a convenience factor - I think we could manage.

The towability of the 17B is the issue that nags at me and will require more research into what people are towing with and under what conditions. We often travel for many hours a day on secondary roads. I want more than just adequate towing. So far I have towed with vehicles rated to 3500# with 350# TW and I have found those numbers seem a bit optimistic.

The extra battery capacity and propane tank are going to increase my weight. And when those holding tanks are getting fullish, what does that do to the numbers? Maybe it is time to move the TV up a notch. Now if they'd only put more diesels on the NA market.... More decisions.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Bill, You do not mention your tow vehicle either, what limits does it have?
Sorry. I have crafted a signature with the TV info. It is rated at 3500# with 350# on the tongue. I think those numbers are overly optimistic.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
The only trailer I have seen other than huge stick trailers that have all your wants is the 21. I can't think of any of the smaller trailers that have really good counter space as well as permanent bed and a bathroom . The spaciousness of the kitchen area in the 21 would be something to think about . Don't forget you will probably have this trailer. A lot longer than the tug. That's a mistake a lot of people make is buying a trailer to suit the tug and not the trailer that suits them and then a tug to pull it.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Yes Glen, she thought we had tons of storage and our trailer was lighter than hers!!