Torn between the eggs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Just sold 2014 Scamp
Torn between the eggs

Hello everyone, my name is Richard, and I'm new to the Escape forums. We just sold our 16 ft. Scamp and looking at the 5.0TA and their 19 ft. 5er. The TA looks beautiful, and there are many differences. Which type of hitch is installed on the TV for the 5.0? I have a 5.7 ft. Bed, but a v8, so towings not a problem. I know Donna D. Has one from this and other forums, and find her very informative. Ty Donna!
Lotbb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hey Richard! Glad you found your way over here. Lots of good information and nice people to help you with any questions.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can use any standard 5th wheel hitch, just need to verify you can have it installed in your specific truck.

ETI has a company close to them that they use for customer installations if you prefer to go that route as opposed to either doing it yourself or having one installed close to your home.

Many folks are going with the Anderson, for it's much lighter weight.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #4

I haven't had a chance to call them,will have to wait till Monday. Is the hitch a ETI installation included in the price, or extra. So If it isn't, you say a Anderson fifth wheel is the choice? Any particular model number of hitch preferred? Any info at this time will be greatly appreciated.

Richard
Old 06-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotbb1 View Post
I haven't had a chance to call them,will have to wait till Monday. Is the hitch a ETI installation included in the price, or extra. So If it isn't, you say a Anderson fifth wheel is the choice? Any particular model number of hitch preferred? Any info at this time will be greatly appreciated.

Richard
A 5th Wheel hitch is extra. You can install your own before you pick up your trailer. It's not something you'd want to wait to do on the day of pickup, because it involves drilling in the truck bed, bolting things down, etc, and can take some time. The Andersen is a different sort of 5th Wheel hitch than the others, in that it uses a ball instead of a receiver plate, and requires the installation of parts on the coupler side as well as the truck. There are also many on the forum that use the B&W Patriot with good success, and a few other brands.

If I were installing one, I'd probably go with the Andersen, only because it's very light but strong, and is very easy to remove if you want to use the truck bed when not towing.

I'd suggest doing your own research, first by searching the numerous threads in this forum on the subject.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #6

I'm a bit confused, not using a fifth wheel b4. Would a receiving plate be more advisable that a gooseneck? I've seen pics Of Anderson gooseneck. The TA accommodate s both? And thank you for you advice so far, I will do the research you suggested.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Which type of hitch is installed on the TV for the 5.0? I have a 5.7 ft. Bed...
The trailer is designed and equipped to work with any industry-standard fifth-wheel hitch; however, for good clearance between the trailer and the cab of the truck in tight turns, most owners find that they need the hitch positioned further back than the standard installation. If you search the forum for threads about a 5.5' bed, you can see the details and the solutions people have chosen.

Quote:
... you say a Anderson fifth wheel is the choice? Any particular model number of hitch preferred?
The Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system is a popular choice as an alternative to a conventional fifth-wheel hitch, but various brands and models of fifth-wheels will work fine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I'm a bit confused, not using a fifth wheel b4. Would a receiving plate be more advisable that a gooseneck? I've seen pics Of Anderson gooseneck. The TA accommodate s both?
I suggest avoiding the term "gooseneck", because it means different things to different people and in different contexts, and this is not a gooseneck trailer.

The Escape 5.0TA has a pin box with king pin for use with a conventional fifth-wheel hitch. The Andersen Ultimate system clamps an adapter on the trailer's king pin, so it works with any "fifth-wheel" trailer.

With a conventional fifth-wheel hitch, you back the truck into the trailer, so the pin goes horizontally into the hitch. The Andersen Ultimate system is a ball and coupler (just like a conventional trailer but in a different place), so you back the truck under the trailer then lower the trailer's coupler onto the ball (and then hook up safety chains).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Escape 5.0 TA

Richard,
It looks like you're in central Florida. This site has an owners map at the top gray bar.
I clicked on the two red markers in central Florida, and it shows two 5.0 TA owners fairly close to you. I'd get in touch with both of them an go see their set-ups.

Call the ETI office, and they can give you the two owners' contact info.
Better to see than to text.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the Andersen hitch and love it! Solid, lightweight and when taken out, leaves the truck bed completely unobstructed. Takes less than 5 minutes to put in or take out of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #11

Thank you

Thank you all for your input, and helping me make informed decisions. I really appreciate it all, and made me feel welcomed!
Old 06-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Yes isn't it great Lotbb1! It seems like more 5's being built coming up than in past years(only my observation) and we look forward to learning from everyone!
Old 06-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #13

Warranty question?

I gotta ask! If I purchased a TA 5.0, and by chance needed warranty work. My concern is that being from another country, how would this be handled? Or should this be a question I need to ask ETI?
Old 06-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
I gotta ask! If I purchased a TA 5.0, and by chance needed warranty work. My concern is that being from another country, how would this be handled? Or should this be a question I need to ask ETI?
Always a good idea to ask Escape directly with any questions. I can tell you though, it depends on what "warranty work" you have. Most of the time, Escape will allow you to have any warranty repairs performed by a local RV shop, provided you've coordinated that with them beforehand. And then there's always the option to have such work performed at the factory, which is often not practical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #15

Thanks for the response.

Often not practical is so true, since I'm located in Florida. This does create some concern and something to take into consideration.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Almost all warranty work is likely to be due to failure of an appliance ( fridge, furnace etc. ). These are covered by the manufacturer of the appliance so you just take it to your local authorized service centre, of which there are thousands in North America. There will be a web site for the appliance in the manual with a list of service centres near you.
When my furnace motor failed, I took it to a RV repair shop a mile from my home, not to ETI ( they wouldn't be doing the repair anyway ).
Old 06-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Even if you bought from within the US, most manufacturing is done elsewhere and you still need to approach a local repair and then get reimbursed. I had a Lance Trailer, made in California, bought from West Virginia dealer and fixed locally.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much: we needed replacement of the awning fabric (under warranty). Had the option to have it done by ETI or by a local rv dealer.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #19
Site Team

When I say "warranty work", I'm referring to things that are covered under Escape's warranty, not appliances such as the furnace or water heater. Those obviously can be repaired under the manufacturer warranty almost anywhere.

But as others have mentioned, if it's something Escape built that needs repairing, they are quite accommodating in authorizing someone local to do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk