Two New Owners-To-Be - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
J&G

Trailer: Escape 19
Two New Owners-To-Be

We pick up our new 19 this summer (yay!) and have been enjoying every post on the forum while we wait. So to give back, we'd like to share the info we got from ETI about our new trailer's weight. We read on the forum that ETI has a computer program that will estimate the trailer weight with all the options added. We selected a lot of options on our build sheet including 4 reinforced walls. The computer estimate is 3485 lbs for the trailer with the options. The cargo weight is 1235. I doubt that we would have that much cargo, but it is good to know. That would put us at 4720 lbs. We have a 2016 Tacoma 4X4 that we will use as our tow vehicle. (Does anyone know if crawl control is useful going down steep grades with a trailer?) We are counting the days until our orientation, and the trailer hasn't even been started yet. So excited!!!

J&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I think something was lost in the translation. Even a 21' does not weigh that much.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&G View Post
We pick up our new 19 this summer (yay!) and have been enjoying every post on the forum while we wait. So to give back, we'd like to share the info we got from ETI about our new trailer's weight. We read on the forum that ETI has a computer program that will estimate the trailer weight with all the options added. We selected a lot of options on our build sheet including 4 reinforced walls. The computer estimate is 3485 lbs for the trailer with the options. The cargo weight is 1235. I doubt that we would have that much cargo, but it is good to know. That would put us at 4720 lbs. We have a 2016 Tacoma 4X4 that we will use as our tow vehicle. (Does anyone know if crawl control is useful going down steep grades with a trailer?) We are counting the days until our orientation, and the trailer hasn't even been started yet. So excited!!!
I too have a 2016 Tacoma 4X4. I would not recommend using crawl control as you described. That feature is primarily used when you have limited control and can only be used at very slow speeds (5mph or less). While I wouldn't feel comfortable towing the 6K+ capacity Toyota says the truck can handle, the weight you mentioned won't be a problem. When going down or even up a hill, I shift into 4th and sometimes into 3rd to keep the truck and trailer in control.
rotateclockwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I think something was lost in the translation. Even a 21' does not weigh that much.
I would agree. The certified scale weight of my loaded 5.0TA is 4,400 lbs, and it is the heaviest trailer ETI makes. I believe the weight of our personal belongings would be similar to most everyone else's!
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Two New Owners-To-Be

Quote:

I agree too. We have a lot of options on our 19, and its scale checked weight with cargo, food, clothes in the cupboards, a half full fresh water tank, full hot water heater, and the storage box full of hoses,chocks, etc. is 3400 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2016, 10:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Our 21 was just over 3600# as delivered..... so a 4500# Gross Vehicle Weight Rating gives us 900# or so to play with.
I guess the question is how much more steel is used for the wider frames and what is the impact on the GVWR of the new models.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
J&G, I did not see this is your first post, so WELCOME!

Where did you get the cargo number?

Guess you are excited!!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... we'd like to share the info we got from ETI about our new trailer's weight. We read on the forum that ETI has a computer program that will estimate the trailer weight with all the options added. We selected a lot of options on our build sheet including 4 reinforced walls. The computer estimate is 3485 lbs for the trailer with the options. The cargo weight is 1235. I doubt that we would have that much cargo, but it is good to know. That would put us at 4720 lbs.
That's 720 pounds over the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for a 19'... are we talking about a 21', rather than a 19'?

Quote:
Maybe not so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Our 21 was just over 3600# as delivered..... so a 4500# Gross Vehicle Weight Rating gives us 900# or so to play with.
That's 115 pounds higher (but for a 21').

A 19' this heavy would have 875 pounds of options (and 2017 weight increase)! A 21' at 3485 pounds would have 345 pounds of options (and again 2017 weight increase), which doesn't seem like very much given that an air conditioner alone is a third of that. Hmm...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
I guess the question is how much more steel is used for the wider frames and what is the impact on the GVWR of the new models.
Very little more steel. 8 inches more bumper, about 15 inches more tongue rails, and a couple feet more crossmembers (which are much lighter sections) would likely only be about 5 kilograms (11 pounds). The axle will be little bit heavier as well (because it has 4 inches more tube length). The extra floor and ceiling width is probably more significant. The GVWR doesn't need to change at all - a bit of extra trailer weight can just mean the same amount less available cargo carrying capacity... although the numbers quoted suggest a slightly increased GVWR (assuming it's really a 21').
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Quote:
Glad to see another East Tennessee owner.
We towed our 21' with an older 4Runner for 20,000 miles or so. While it is only a distant relative to your new Tacoma, look us up and call the house sometime, and we'd be glad to share our experiences. We are home sometimes, but not often, so leave a message.
Bill

Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote