We decided on the 21 today. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 w/Maple interior
We decided on the 21 today.

My wife Carol and I just put a deposit on an E21! Our Completion date is March 25 2019. We live in Eastern NC. Our tow vehicle is a 2018 Tacoma.
We are deciding which options to get. I believe we have all our options selected except getting the framed or frameless windows. We plan on getting the manual awning. If we get the frameless windows, I believe the window in the bath and the one in the dinette can not be opened with the awning in the closed position. Thoughts?
sailjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Life was simple back in the day...last year...when we ordered ours. Now with the two types of awnings and windows it is a real tough decision to make even if there was not a difference in the cost.
We ordered the frameless windows and like the look of them a lot. Having the rear ones open as well is a real bonus.
I fully believe that the actual square inches of the opening of the frameless is close to that of the sliders...however I do believe that if a breeze is blowing it would better flow into the trailer with the sliders than be deflected away by the awning style windows.
That said, being able to keep the awning windows open in the rain on a hot day or not having to close them in case of rain is a plus. More of a plus maybe if you have pets.

If you have them store your trailer until late May which they will do for free...you can come to the Escape Rally and meet about 300 of us. Last year they were a little short of 150 Escape trailers at the event. Something you should see at least once.

Good luck.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Congratulations on taking the big step. Happy to have another Escape in the SE!!
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 w/Maple interior
Thanks, good idea on the rally. Do my best to make it.
sailjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you do wish to attend rally, call ETI and schedule your pick up date/orientation that week or the week before the rally if the rally week is full. I reserved Tuesday, 5/21 in am and plan to drive over to Osoyoos after orientation and hookup that morning.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I used my 2008 Tacoma to tow our E21 from Dallas TX to Reno NV to Santa Cruz CA, and frankly felt that was a bit more than the Tacoma really should be pulling. the gas mileage was /awful/ (2 tanks in texas were 9.6MPG!), and the tank was just too small (21 gallons at 10-12 MPG means you're looking for gas in 150 miles... on the southwestern interstates, thats just too often!). My Tacoma is a 6-speed stick, which is a plus for towing (no worries about transmissions overheating, and it shifts when YOU want it to), and it has airbags which helped it handle the weight. the ride and driving part were OK but with 500+ lbs on the hitch, and a 1200 lb total payload on my 2008 4.0L V6 4x4 TRD Offroad Access Cab, my wife and I probably weigh 450 lbs between us (advanced case of middle age spread), that leaves almost no usable cargo capacity, and I like to bring several 100 lbs of astronomy and camp gear in the truck.

so I went for total overkill and found a 2002 F250 longbed extended cab 4x4 diesel .... it has twice as large a gas tank, can carry twice as much payload and tow twice as much. I can load all the gear I'd ever want to bring on a multiweek trip, my wife can pack the trailer with way more than we need, and I can't hardly tell its back there... a late model F150 would have done quite nicely, this F250 is silly overkill. oh and the 7.3L diesel gets /better/ mileage than the Tacoma, both all around, and when towing.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 19’
Made a reply but not sure were it went.
Ksambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:19 PM   #8
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Awning windows with manual awning

Hi there,

Congrats on your decision! We have the manual awning and went with the awning windows. We thought they looked nicer and liked being able to have them open when it's raining (we are in the Pacific Northwest, after all). Initially, my type A personality felt that not being able to open the bathroom window and the dinette window wasn't right (if the awning was closed), but we were used to it by the end of the first trip. Even with the awning closed, we can still open both the rear windows and the driver side dinette window and get a very nice breeze flowing in the back. The bathroom window can be opened a crack with the awning arm closed.

There was lots of cautioning at the orientation when we got the trailer not to crank the windows too tightly closed. Ours kept coming open when we were driving. After asking Escape about it, they said we should tighten them more, and haven't had an issue since. Our 2018 trailer windows came with the screws in the tops, not the rivets.

I would definitely choose the awning windows again. I suppose it depends partially on if you camp in one place for a few days and then always have the awning out, then the awning windows wouldn't be a problem. If you like to road trip more and spend one night in one place and then move on, then you might not take the awning out as much, and might find it to be more of a bother. We tend to road trip more, but are still happy with our choice.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not sure how this would work, but you can open the manual awning partially, which may be enough to open the awning windows. Might only have to pull it out a couple feet.
I can't test it since my trailer is ten years old. Picture is my awning half open.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjoe View Post
My wife Carol and I just put a deposit on an E21! Our Completion date is March 25 2019. We live in Eastern NC. Our tow vehicle is a 2018 Tacoma.
We are deciding which options to get. I believe we have all our options selected except getting the framed or frameless windows. We plan on getting the manual awning. If we get the frameless windows, I believe the window in the bath and the one in the dinette can not be opened with the awning in the closed position. Thoughts?
We made our option choices about three weeks ago. We went with the frameless thermal windows $1500 cd. , and the automatic awning. A very clean look. I judged that there is a better chance of having trouble with the manual awning. Passed on the bathroom and front windows, and the front storage box and put the $ in thermal and auto-awning. Stayed with the standard dinette (who needs seating for six?) and put those $ in too. Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Congratulations on what will soon be your new home on wheels. We just purchased a 21' 2014 about 3 months ago, considered ordering a new one but at the time the new automatic awning was the only thing they were offering, I even sent an email to Escape and they said no manual awning option. That one reason alone was enough for me to look for a used one, I've read to many things about the automatic awnings I do not like.
As far as future problems with either I think you would have more issues with the automatic, just need to be careful with the manual in windy conditions its easy enough to set up and take down I think.
No matter what direction you go I have no doubt you will enjoy your new Escape.

Safe and fun travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #12

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
We just finished up the order sheet for our 21. We chose the frameless thermal windows and the manual awning. I love the looks of the auto awning and frameless window! However the owners of the local 21ft that we visited said and I quote" the only thing I would change on my build would be this stupid awning". He did not like the fact that he could not clean it easy and that it holds water. In our area we get a lot of rain, if there was some corner adjustment to the auto awning I would have headed that way.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
We just finished up the order sheet for our 21. We chose the frameless thermal windows and the manual awning. I love the looks of the auto awning and frameless window! However the owners of the local 21ft that we visited said and I quote" the only thing I would change on my build would be this stupid awning". He did not like the fact that he could not clean it easy and that it holds water. In our area we get a lot of rain, if there was some corner adjustment to the auto awning I would have headed that way.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the awning is for shade, not rain protection and the paperwork from the manufacturer says so. A lot of people use the manual in the rain halfway deployed and the same can be done with the power awning. But never leave the trailer with awning deployed, but the power does have a wind gust closer if that does happen. The manual gets dirtier as it is exposed to the elements 365/24 while the power sits protected in its cover when not in use. Both have to be cleaned, just more for the manual.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
True, you can’t leave your manual awning open if there is the possibility of strong winds, but we set it out in heavy rains with a good angle to ensure the water runs away from the entrance. I don’t think I would have gone with the electric awning for that reason.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Our manual awnings also work great in the rain (it is those nasty strong gusty winds that are problematic). It is easy to adjust one arm higher than the other so that rainwater does not accumulate on the awning, but instead drains off in the direction that is intended. I have spent numerous rainy evenings under my awning drinking a beverage while grilling up supper on the BBQ.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
One of the big benefits I found with the manual awning during my big trip, was the ability to extend the awning but NOT raise it. It was flaming hot at the Badlands and no shade. But I was able to shade most of the south side of the trailer (sun side) during the heat of the day. When I wanted to go inside the trailer, it took mere moments to raise the side closest to the door so I could open it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
True, you can’t leave your manual awning open if there is the possibility of strong winds, but we set it out in heavy rains with a good angle to ensure the water runs away from the entrance. I don’t think I would have gone with the electric awning for that reason.
Bob K
Attached Thumbnails
heavy rain.jpg  
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #18

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Having owned many travel trailers with manual awnings I would agree with the last 4 responses. The manual is just more adaptable to any given situation. I really wanted the auto awning as it is a neet bit of kit and I love how it self stores in the aluminum tube. Your experiences may differ! Make your choices and live with them.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Another great manual vs. power awning discussion but let's note that the OP has already decided on the manual awning, it's the type of windows he's struggling with.

We are glad we got a used last of the classic 5.0TA's with a mix of windows, we have awning style at the bed so can leave open in the rain, and the escape one is awning as well. Only sliders are one dinette, kitchen, and bath.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #20

Windows n awning

Good discussions. We made our choices three weeks ago. We went with the thermal frameless which goes with the thermal package for $1500 CD. Also went w the auto awning. We had read positives and concerns about both. We liked the sleek look of both, but definitely gave more weight to function and durability/reliability, I think. We like the opening window on the dinette end. We saw the manual and the auto operated. The manual is not hard, but has potential for complications it seemed w sliding n locking. We liked the wind sensor on the auto, and would plan on using some tie poles n tie downs for either choice. We were totally impressed with the quality of all options and are happy with our choices. Good luck to us all.