We’re owners-to-be... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16’ 2002
We’re owners-to-be...

We are Jim and Mary, living in Des Moines, Iowa. We presently own a 16’ Scamp that has been wonderful for us but we are ready to move up for a bit more space and comfort. We are looking at the 19’ Escape. We have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee with a tow package and it can handle 4600 lbs. We would love to see an Escape in person. Anybody fairly closeby?
Marygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marygee View Post
We are Jim and Mary, living in Des Moines, Iowa. We presently own a 16’ Scamp that has been wonderful for us but we are ready to move up for a bit more space and comfort. We are looking at the 19’ Escape. We have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee with a tow package and it can handle 4600 lbs. We would love to see an Escape in person. Anybody fairly closeby?
Hi: Marygee... Welcome to the forum!!! Iowa Dave near Cedar Rapids will likely chime in soon. Hey D a v e? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can also either call or drop an email to ETI and ask for someone local, more or less.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
New members

Welcome, Jim and Mary.

While you wait to tour a E19, take time to enjoy the forum.

Lots of nice people willing to share their experiences with their trailers.
Nancy.
Redandnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You may be limited to the older style E19 which ran somewhat lighter than the 2nd G models. The newer models are rated for 5000#, somewhat more than yourJeep's capacity.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Welcome to the forum. We could use some more Jims around here.

We're probably 4-1/2 hours away (near Madison WI) but if you want to make the trip we'd be happy to show you our 19. What I'd really suggest is attending the Mississippi River Rendezvous in Thomson, IL. It's happening the last weekend of this month and you'll probably see all the current sizes Escape offers. There are trailer tours scheduled for Saturday and plenty of owners like us who'll show off their trailer just about anytime.

Here's a link to the thread.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...0-a-12110.html
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Go to that Mississippi River Rally and you will see every size that Escape has to offer. Then you will know that you made the right decision. We were after the 19, but after seeing it and the 21 we ended up with the 21. Loren.
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Escape Trailer

Hi Jim and Mary
We are about 15 miles west of Cedar Rapids. We will be home this week including next weekend, so if you’d like to see a 21 Classic you can let us know and we would be happy to show You a first generation 21. It’s in a building all set up so this monsoon weather has no bearing on viewability. Three One Nine Three eight nine zero seven six one. The Mississippi River Rally at Thomson Illinois will have in excess of twenty Escapes. It’s at the Thomson Causeway campground which is a corps of engineers campground. No park admission fee. You’re very welcome to camp and participate or just come for the day.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #9

We didn’t get to the Mississippi gathering but are busy with our “build sheet” right now. We are going with the ‘19. Anything to be aware of or any suggestions? What can you not live without? Thanks. BTW, we were able to tour a ‘19 in West Des Moines, just down the road from us, and we loved it. ETI set it up for us.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Build sheet must haves

Hopefully others will chime in with all their favorite choices, but the two must haves in our book are air conditioner and solar panel.

Ask about specific choices that you are pondering, and you should get more specific responses.

At some point get in touch with Iowa Dave over near Cedar Rapids. They now have a 21’, but previously owned a 19’. He’s one of those “wealth of knowledge” guys, and doesn’t mind sharing it.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #11

Thanks!

We are getting down to specifics now. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Hopefully others will chime in with all their favorite choices, but the two must haves in our book are air conditioner and solar panel.
I’ll second the solar panel w/twin 6 batteries. My second choice would be the front storage box. Good Luck!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Drawer under the closet, door at the dinette, we really like the inverter and auto transfer switch. We boondock a lot so went with the high lift axle. The solar and 2 batteries are amazing, we have plugged in for 3 hours in the past 2 months, only to run the air conditioning. We always have lots of power.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 17A
This is meant to be a new thread, but apparently I don't have permission. It does apply to this thread, though. It's about the spray-on insulation under the trailer.
Last week, we were returning from a stay down on the North Shore of Lake Mead in our 17A. Our path brought us into Bend, OR, from the west on US 20. We decided to stay the night near Prineville, and woke to a surprise. Everything was frozen! It had gotten down to about 10 degrees F overnight. I leaned down to look at the fresh water tank: frozen. Fortunately, not full, so there was room for expansion. Luckily, things thawed out the next day, and it appears that we dodged the bullet.

When we were going through the build sheet, we never dreamed that we might need the insulation, because we didn't plan to camp in the winter. I wrote a note to ETI, asking about a 12 heating strip to be applied to the tank. ETI wrote back: "Yes, available, but part of the under-insulation package. Cost about CDN1200, can be done after delivery."
So here's my two cents: get the under insulation even if you think you won't need it. You might be surprised!
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #15

Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marygee View Post
We are getting down to specifics now. Thanks!
We had a nineteen and now have a twenty-one. From a usability standpoint and considering comfort and versatility, here are my thoughts on options we feel are most used and most valuable to us.

1. Air conditioning
2. Surge protector
3. Winterizing t valve
4. Toilet shutoff
5. Storage Box
6. Solar panel with dual six volt batteries
7. Opening window and power vent in bath
8. Additional access hatches to under bed and under dinette storage.
9. Two way hot water heater ( if you camp with hookups)
10. Aluminum wheels ( strictly for appearance factor)
11. Accessible Additional 12 volt plug on bed end.
These are the things we feel we use the most or are most valuable to have when you need them. We have more options, have made some nice modifications etc but to me these are good ones.
Strictly for convenience and ambiance, light above the storage box and light strip under awning.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
I'll second the extra 12V plug-in especially with twin USBs. We decided to go without the inverter, but we already had a couple of small portable inverters and having an extra plug in as well as another charging point for phones, which everyone has these days, is very helpful.

We also have the propane quick connect. We like to BBQ and it really saves having to set up an additional gas bottle when we take the BBQ.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
I'll second the extra 12V plug-in especially with twin USBs. We decided to go without the inverter, but we already had a couple of small portable inverters and having an extra plug in as well as another charging point for phones, which everyone has these days, is very helpful.
Agreed. Our 2010 has the original 12V outlets only. I am going to swap them out for the newer option that Escape offers that includes the (2) USB charging ports. They are made by Magnadyne.https://www.amazon.com/MOUNT-12V-VPA...71230922&psc=1

The other advantage of the Magnadyne units are that they are self-contained which means that everything is enclosed on the back. The old style have open connections on the rear which I do not like at all. Depending on where they are located they can be hit. If you arc across the terminals like I did with a metal pot you blow a fuse.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #18

Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Agreed. Our 2010 has the original 12V outlets only. I am going to swap them out for the newer option that Escape offers that includes the (2) USB charging ports. They are made by Magnadyne.https://www.amazon.com/MOUNT-12V-VPA...71230922&psc=1

The other advantage of the Magnadyne units are that they are self-contained which means that everything is enclosed on the back. The old style have open connections on the rear which I do not like at all. Depending on where they are located they can be hit. If you arc across the terminals like I did with a metal pot you blow a fuse.
Reminded me of the time one of my foremen was working on a plow truck and crossed two terminals on the starter solenoid. No fuse to blow, nasty burn and a chunk out of his wedding ring. All he said was “that smarts”. He was tough.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm adding 5 optional 12v runs which is $50/each for LEDs under the bed and inside cabinets, then found out that the 12v outlet is same price so I switched it to 5 additional 12v outlets @ $50 each, I figure the outlet is free and I can always tap into the rear for my 12v power or insert a USB adapter.

Tags