We're Dan and Rita and New to the Forum - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape Wannabee
We're Dan and Rita and New to the Forum

Hello,
The Escape is on our short list to purchase. So we are here to learn more about the Escape Trailers and 5th Wheel.
We once had a fiberglass trailer but regretfully sold it to purchase a Class B RV which is currently on the market to be sold before we can join the ranks of a fiberglass RV proud owner again.
Thanks for any help you may provide before hand,
Dan and Rita
HomeCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I think the Escape is the most value for the money. We also chose the 21 over the 5th wheel as the pickup box is so handy to haul stuff. But you have to choose what works best for you. Good luck. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #3

If we buy another truck, I believe we also would consider the 21 over the 5er but would need to see both before making that decision.
If we keep our current Toyota Highlander, would go with the 17 for it's 5,000 lbs. GVWR max would be pushing the inside of the envelope with the 21.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Greetings fellow Tennesseans! We live in Vonore, TN just down the road from Knoxville. We are "expecting" our new 21' in November. We are moving up from a 17' Casita and are eagerly anticipating our trip to Chilliwack. There is a lot of good information from members of this group that really helped us with our decision. Welcome to the family!
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeCamp View Post
If we buy another truck, I believe we also would consider the 21 over the 5er but would need to see both before making that decision.
If we keep our current Toyota Highlander, would go with the 17 for it's 5,000 lbs. GVWR max would be pushing the inside of the envelope with the 21.
Consider the 19 as well. Several people tow it with a Highlander. We love the queen bed, tandem axles and the floorplan. It hits a sweet spot for us - bigger, but not too big. Easy towing, easy maneuvering, and we've even camped in places where a slightly larger trailer can't fit.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Consider the 19 as well. Several people tow it with a Highlander. We love the queen bed, tandem axles and the floorplan. It hits a sweet spot for us - bigger, but not too big. Easy towing, easy maneuvering, and we've even camped in places where a slightly larger trailer can't fit.
The 19 does have more going for it over the 17B but how much difference would 600 lbs make in towing with a Highlander? Need to talk with a Highland owner towing a 21 I guess!
Thanks
Old 08-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
Greetings fellow Tennesseans! We live in Vonore, TN just down the road from Knoxville. We are "expecting" our new 21' in November. We are moving up from a 17' Casita and are eagerly anticipating our trip to Chilliwack. There is a lot of good information from members of this group that really helped us with our decision. Welcome to the family!

About 155 miles.
What is your tow vehicle?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
...how much difference would 600 lbs make in towing with a Highlander?
Those kind of questions are hard to answer because they're subjective. Better to look at the published towing capacities and see if they work or not. What year and trim level is your Highlander? From that we can get the GVWR, the Towing Capacity, Max Tongue Weight, Payload Capacity, and the GCWR. The numbers either work, or they don't. That makes your decision easier because you're dealing with math, not just subjective experience.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Rally in East Tennessee in October

Dan and Rita,
You should think about coming to meet a few Escape owners at the King of the Wild Frontier gathering near Greeneville, TN at Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park.

Camping reservations might be hard to get, but there will be at least three Escape 21s there, one being towed by a Highlander from Iowa whose owners have towed for years with two Highlanders and first a 19' and now a 21'.

Several of us will be there October 17 to 21, and as near as you are, you could swing by and visit, even if you don't camp. Same for anyone within range of that area.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Davey and Rita at Davey Crockett

We will be there with the Highlander. Stop by. Rockies, Appalachian, Cascades, Highlander plus 21 plus common sense. It’s like paper covers rock and the detractors have dull scissors
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
95A3290A-A137-46B1-8C68-643260FEB0F8.jpg  
Old 08-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote:
About 155 miles.
What is your tow vehicle?
2010 Ford F250 diesel. Yeah, a lot of truck. Bought it when we had a big 36' TT to pull. But, it's paid for and comfortable.
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
But, it's paid for and comfortable.
That's the BEST kind!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Those kind of questions are hard to answer because they're subjective. Better to look at the published towing capacities and see if they work or not.[ What year and trim level is your Highlander?[/COLOR] From that we can get the GVWR, the Towing Capacity, Max Tongue Weight, Payload Capacity, and the GCWR. The numbers either work, or they don't. That makes your decision easier because you're dealing with math, not just subjective experience.
2012 Highlander Limited 4-Door 4x4, 3.5 liter V6
Tow Prep Package:
-5000 lb. Max Towing Capacity*
-500 lb. Max Tongue Weight?
-Heavy Duty Radiator with Engine Oil Cooler
-200-watt Fan Coupling
-Supplemental Transmission Oil Cooler
-150-amp Alternator
Old 08-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Dan and Rita,
You should think about coming to meet a few Escape owners at the King of the Wild Frontier gathering near Greeneville, TN at Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park.

Camping reservations might be hard to get, but there will be at least three Escape 21s there, one being towed by a Highlander from Iowa whose owners have towed for years with two Highlanders and first a 19' and now a 21'.

Several of us will be there October 17 to 21, and as near as you are, you could swing by and visit, even if you don't camp. Same for anyone within range of that area.

Bill
The rally is already on our calendar, We'll make it a point to be there. It's about 65 miles from our home.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
2012 Highlander Limited 4-Door 4x4, 3.5 liter V6
Tow Prep Package:
-5000 lb. Max Towing Capacity*
-500 lb. Max Tongue Weight?
-Heavy Duty Radiator with Engine Oil Cooler
-200-watt Fan Coupling
-Supplemental Transmission Oil Cooler
-150-amp Alternator
Thanks, that helps. From what I've been able to gather, your Highlander has a curb weight of 4464 lbs, a GVWR of 6000 lbs, and a payload capacity of 1536 lbs. Toyota doesn't publish a GCWR (combined weight) for your vehicle, but if you email them their standard reply for the 4x4 Highlander with the V6 is 11,000 lbs. They merely added the GVWR to the towing capacity, but for our purposes we can go with that.

So, plug in the numbers for either a stock 21 or a stock 19, and you are within the published capacities towing them with a Highlander. This is what I mean when I say the numbers either work or they don't. In this case they do, although the 19 would give you a more comfortable margin. Note also of course that options add weight, and you should watch your payload. 1536 lbs is actually pretty good as midsized SUVs go. Remember that payload also includes all occupants as well as the cargo.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Note also of course that options add weight, and you should watch your payload. 1536 lbs is actually pretty good as midsized SUVs go. Remember that payload also includes all occupants as well as the cargo.
Remember that the payload also includes the hitch weight. That's not a problem, because the payload is very good for the size of the vehicle, but it's a few hundred pounds which shouldn't be ignored.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:16 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Intersting video by Mark's RV where payload is subtracted from towing capacity, thus if you have tongue weight, passengers, cargo totaling 1,000# and a vehicle rated to tow 5,000#, then your towing capacity is reduced to 4,000# by your payload. Thus a Highlander is rated at 5,000 empty....https://koa.com/blog/5-towing-mistakes-rv-owners-make/
Old 08-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Thanks, that helps. From what I've been able to gather, your Highlander has a curb weight of 4464 lbs, a GVWR of 6000 lbs, and a payload capacity of 1536 lbs. Toyota doesn't publish a GCWR (combined weight) for your vehicle, but if you email them their standard reply for the 4x4 Highlander with the V6 is 11,000 lbs. They merely added the GVWR to the towing capacity, but for our purposes we can go with that.

So, plug in the numbers for either a stock 21 or a stock 19, and you are within the published capacities towing them with a Highlander. This is what I mean when I say the numbers either work or they don't. In this case they do, although the 19 would give you a more comfortable margin. Note also of course that options add weight, and you should watch your payload. 1536 lbs is actually pretty good as midsized SUVs go. Remember that payload also includes all occupants as well as the cargo.
Thanks, Good information, some of which I knew.
So if I understand all of this right.
My Highlander has a GCWR of 11,000 lbs with a GVWR of 6,000 lbs. So I could pull the Escape 19 of 4,000 lbs GVWR for the total of 11,000 lbs GCWR?

And as far as my Highlander's Max Cargo Weight.
I minus 4,464 lbs for Highlander's Curb Weight from the GVWR of 6,000 lbs for 1,536 lbs of Highlander's Max Payload? (CCC - Cargo Carrying Capacity)

And with my 1,536 of max payload.
If I minus 400 lbs for Passenger Weight.
And 400-600 lbs of hitch weight (At 10-15% of trailer's 4,000 GVWR's, Model 19.
And 400 lbs. of Highlander additional Cargo Weight.
That leaves me with 336-536 lbs of extra Highlander cargo and still stay under the total GCWR of 11,000 lbs.?

If all of this is correct, a model 21 would be too heavy for my Highlander because it an additional 1,000 lbs GVWR?
Old 08-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Intersting video by Mark's RV where payload is subtracted from towing capacity, thus if you have tongue weight, passengers, cargo totaling 1,000# and a vehicle rated to tow 5,000#, then your towing capacity is reduced to 4,000# by your payload. Thus a Highlander is rated at 5,000 empty....https://koa.com/blog/5-towing-mistakes-rv-owners-make/
Thanks,
Great Video!
Old 08-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Yikes! I didn’t realize that you subtract the TV load off of the towing limit weight. I’m still fine with our combo, but I thought I understood the numbers. Always learning.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote