What do you do while you wait a year? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Old 08-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #21
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Originally Posted by SSBN View Post
These trailers are so popular, I can't find a used one to buy!
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think he means another brand of trailer - like a used sticky that will at least get you out camping while you wait. Some can be had for very little money.
I was thinking an Escape if you can find it - the new one will still be appreciated because it will be just like you want it, instead of what you could find. Of course they're hard to find, but at least that means they hold their value well so you don't take much of a hit for keeping for a year.

The other-brand alternative is certainly valid, and some have done that. It can keep you camping, let you sort out the tow vehicle... and make you appreciate the new Escape even more.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #22
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21. Formerly: 1999 Casita 17 LD and 1989 Casita 16 LD
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's a big world. See some of the places a trailer won't go.

That's what we did. We had already planned a European trip, plus after that we had to get our old trailer cleaned up and ready to sell... Our lead time was "only" 9 months, but it worked out perfectly for us. And yes, figuring out the build sheet, how to pay for it, and what to carry with us on the pick up was almost as hard as packing for the European vacation had been.

Mary F Onward, through the fog!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #23
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Go tent camping, canoe tripping, back country hiking, mountain biking, whitewater paddling, running, sight seeing, watch some movies, go shopping, go to some fine restaurants, visit some old friends, make some new friends, lie on a sandy beach, do some yard work, wash the truck, do some 4 wheeling and get the truck muddy, wash the truck again, write silly forum posts, visit the doctor regarding overuse injuries, catch up on sleep. Time tends to pass really quickly when you keep busy.
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #24
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Now you can understand why I have close to 10,000 posts here..........too much time on the forum......
never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #25
Site Team
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Have you never, ever camped before? Just remember, what ever size or brand of all-molded-towable... you have a bed and you'll sleep out of the elements. You need to prepare food, you need to sleep and you need a comfortable place to sit. Figure those things out! Sleeping bags, outside chairs and beer... you're good to go

Honestly, don't over think this... you'll figure out what works for you as long as you have a sense of humor.

Jim isn't even close to the number of posts I have between here and FiberglassRV... and I lost about 10,000 posts when that site was hacked.

It isn't about us... it's about YOU and your needs and wants, truly.

Dave wrote the perfect post about WHY.
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 PM   #26
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
What do most of you do while you wait a year for your trailer to be built?
We ordered in October. We didn't do anything much on it until the end of January. Then we worked on the build sheet and it took us until it was due which was June 1, I think. And we had already owned an Escape! Of course, we also sold that one.

Everyone does not want or need custom fabric, flooring and counters or many other items that really take time. Since it was our second Escape, we wanted pretty much the opposite of the first. That is what we have and love it. We also sent some items to be installed and they did a great job with those.

Just having spent months in the 21', it worked well for us. We have had few glitches. We like our choices but it all takes a while to figure them out exactly. Those details can be time consuming. Then there is the never-ending list of new possibilities that one reads about. You don't have the time you think!

I can only suggest that the build sheet not be turned in early because we have had a number of people who then wanted to make changes, and did not want to pay the $200 extra to do that. There are always more items to consider!
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #27
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21', Dec 14, 2016; pulled by 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
What do most of you do while you wait a year for your trailer to be built?
Go absolutely NUTS waiting! Are you a patient person? I'm not, so it's driving me nuts.

We decided to purchase after ETI had closed their books to ordering. I knew we'd have to wait until they opened them back up earlier this year, so it was going to be more than a year before we got ours. However, thanks to Stephen99 I found out, via this forum, about an opening in early December 2015 for a 21 footer, due more than a year later. Called and got it. Massive amounts of shouting, shrieking and leaping around ensued. Drink(s) of choice to Stephen if we ever meet in person.

Our build sheet had been worked on quite a bit before we ordered, so it didn't take long to finalize. Massive amount of time spent on this forum had already happened. Bookmarking of information. Building of spreadsheets. Picking out flooring, fabric and formica all decided before we were able to order.

You can only spend so much time on Amazon (and other places) buying stuff and wadding it in the attic in storage buckets. We've never camped so we're starting from scratch.

Try to ignore all the fabulous "What's out your back door" photos due to wanting to use a trailer we don't have. Read books on various parks and such. Web sites will be cruised later on.

Wait around some more. Go nuts some more. Ignore more posts. Go nuts some more. Try to ignore all the trailers on the road going to places you're not going to - yet! Ignore the camping photos your friends send you.

Mentally count down the months until your due date. Go nuts during that count down. Roll your eyes every time you read someone post "oh, that year will go very quickly".

Lose sleep thinking of all the nifty places one can go once that trailer arrives. Fortunately we should still be able to hit the WA and OR coasts and not worry too much (knock on wood!) about snow and such, so the trailer won't sit around for months until we can start using it.

So, that's how *I* spend my time waiting for that year plus to roll around. Now, Dirk is completely different. He lets me do all the prepping, research, deciding, etc., etc. as he knows he'll be happy with whatever we get. He's a very patient person so the time waiting is no biggie to him. Ack!
Laura, Dirk and Lucy & Spike (the cats)

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #28
Commercial Member
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Do the build sheet, redo the build sheet and then change it again.
I sent 7 revisions to ETI in 5 months............
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #29
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21', Dec 14, 2016; pulled by 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I sent 7 revisions to ETI in 5 months............
I haven't kept track of the changes since it was turned in this past January. I probably don't want to know!
Laura, Dirk and Lucy & Spike (the cats)

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:57 PM   #30
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Watch utube videos of how to hitch up and back up your trailer. Become fixated on how to properly empty black and grey tanks and watch utube videos of people who made fatal errors while dumping. Daydream about being able to retire and travel to every national park and Shakespeare festival in North America. Turn to a new picture in the Escape calendar every month and drool.

Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote