What do you do while you wait a year? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #61

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBN View Post
I want to retire within a year or so give or take a (very) few months. I am somewhat hesitant to lay out $10-20K for a temporary trailer that I might have problems selling.

Maybe we really should get "training wheels" to determine if we like it as much as we think we would.

In my opinion, training wheels are an excellent idea. I bought my training wheels 18 months ago and ordered my Escape a few days ago. If your temporary trailer is a fiberglass trailer in good condition, you'll not have any trouble selling it for a good price. I bought my 1987 Bigfoot fifthwheel from a couple who had it two years. They sold it for $200 more than they bought it. When I sell my Bigfoot, I'll get about what I part for it.

IMO there are several possible outcomes:
- Spend $10-20k on a temp trailer to make sure you like camping
- you decide you like it, so you order your dream trailer. Meanwhile you continue to enjoy your temp trailer.
- you decide you don't like camping well enough to continue
- in both of the above, you sell your trailer for about what you paid

- Order your dream trailer now, wait a year and pay $30-40k:
- you try RVing for a while and love it! You're good to go!
- you try RVing and find it doesn't thrill you. But (if you're like me) after all the waiting and telling everyone about your dream trailer, you're too embarrassed to admit it. It sits in your driveway (or in $torage) for a year or five. Eventually you sell it. You don't lose a lot, but you've tied up a bunch of money you could have used for something that does thrill you.

To me, this is a no brainer!

As always, YMMV

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote