Why an Escape????????? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Old 03-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
Trailer: none
Why an Escape?????????

I am about to buy a used Airstream because they are simple and will last along time. But, and there is always a but, in my trailer life mag this unit has my interest and but I do not know what RV stands 4 or can spell it. Get me in the loop. Thanks Spikedog

spikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Welcome Spike, to the non aluminum fiberglass world. Escape Trailers, hand built in Canada are shaped like Airstreams but do not have any rivets, which the typical Airstream has 3,000. Each rivet is a potential leak. The solid fiberglass only has openings for windows and roof vents. If a leak were to occur there are drain holes to allow the water to escape. With an Airstream any leak means floor damage. Fiberglass walls are warmer and cooler in winter and summer whereas aluminum will transmit the heat and cold to the inside via the metal walls. In addition you will find the Escape trailer will be lighter. Check them out Escape Trailer Industries €“ Chilliwack, British Columbia

never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I watched a TV show on where they showed how Airstreams are built. They rivet the sections together and then caulk all of the seams. A caulked seam is bound to leak sooner or later plus how much vibration comes into play when on the road will be a factor. Escape has one seam which is fiberglassed when the top and bottom are assembled. Durability and quality were the number one requirement I had and Cathy loved the interior so we put our money down on an Escape. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
Trailer: 2014 escape 21
If really want to spend the big bucks you may also take a look at Oliver fiberglass trailers.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
But (IMHO) boiling it down to the most directly practical difference between the two types, the weight factor is key. I see Airstreams as beautiful, luxurious, solid tanks. By comparison, I see the Escape as a beautiful, practical feather. More weight translates into higher driving costs... not just sticker price, or MPG, but tow vehicle limitations too. If the virtual cost of ownership keys on where the buck stops, you gotta go fiberglass.
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
RV = Recreational Vehicle
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
spikedog, go ahead and buy the Airstreem if you're getting a good deal. The fact that you're willing to buy one is proof that they are still desirable which means you'll be able to sell it when you change your mind.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
Site Team
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Spike, if you're seriously considering purchasing a used Airstream, I strongly suggest you join the Airforum. It's a forum, owned by Social Knowledge who also owns the EscapeForum. You'll be able to gain knowledge from Airstream owners, particularly on issues to check out when buying used.
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Originally Posted by spikedog View Post
I am about to buy a used Airstream because they are simple...
I can't think of any way in which an Airstream is any simpler than other travel trailers. They generally don't have slide-outs, but most brands and types are available in models without slide-outs.

An Escape is as simple as an Airstream, except in the construction of the body shell, which is simpler than an Airstream.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Trailer: 2014 17B " Glass Cabin"
Ever seen an Airstream which has hail damage, its not so pretty... and I imagine very expensive to repair. Fiberglass on the other hand is very tolerant in similar situations.

2016 VW Touareg TDI
2014 Escape 17B "Glass Cabin"
2008 Ausi Heeler, "Blue"
David H is offline   Reply With Quote