Why should I purchase an Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Why should I purchase an Escape?

Hey everyone,

Just joined, after reading the forum for the past few days. I've been sending a bunch of questions that Hayley at ETI has been answering for me. Thinking of checking out the upcoming rally to see lots of 'em in person.

I just returned a 32' motorhome that I rented for a month. Discovered, while nice to have all that room, it was a first class PITA to drive and way more than I need. I'd like to get a trailer that I can pull with my Toyota FJ Cruiser or a Toyota Tundra (yet to be purchased, but probably will in the near future to replace our 2000 Tacoma).

While I didn't see any Escapes on my journey, I did see a few Forest River R-Pods (at campsites and at a dealer), so I started looking around for smaller TT and discovered the Escapes.

Please tell me why I should go with an Escape (19 or 21') over an R-Pod (or other small TT). Have your Escapes been very reliable? Easy to use/pull/set-up/pull-away/etc?

And how about the bathroom for using the toilet and taking a shower? I'd like to get a trailer I can take to craft shows for vending, so I might not always have access to a campground's shower/restrooms. I'm 5'10" and 210#. I survived taking a shower in a Jayco Redhawk 29XK, but wonder how it would compare to an Escape's bathroom.

Lastly (for now!), where all do you folks put your TVs in your units? I'm not much for watching TV in bed. In the Jayco I sat at the dinette and colored stamped images (I'm a rubber stamper) while watching quite a few DVDs.

Thanks everyone!

Laura
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Rally, check.

Less than days drive from factory(not dealer), check.

Rpods have some excellent user forums too, give them a check out. FR has a brand new model (layout) that looks compelling.

Bathrooms are just small at this size trailer.... One does get used to it though. as a solo, I can/have gone at least 4 nights between dumping stations, which is on track with what others have said.

Fgrv resale value, check.

Depending on other factors, I would suggest looking at some of the Mercedes Sprinter based conversions too. They are in the 24' 27' range for driveability.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Since Bruce mentioned small motorhomes...

Sprinter conversions (Class B motorhomes, which are RVs built in a van body) are the size of a Sprinter van, which is up to 23 feet long. The advantage of a tug&trailer is that the combination is typically less expensive than the motorhome alone, the tug also serves other purposes, and the tug can comfortably go places (including parking) where even these small motorhomes are awkward... but they can go just about anywhere on the road.

Sprinter-based (and Ram ProMaster-based) compact Class C motorhomes have more space than a Class B, without being any more expensive, but their extra width and often extra length makes them awkward to take many places (they don't reasonably fit a parking spot).

Any motorhome has the disadvantage that you need to pack up to move, so they are poorly suited to driving side trips from the campsite... unless you tow a car behind them, which adds another world of issues.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In broad terms, many people prefer trailers with a body moulded of fiberglass (such as an Escape) to the more conventional assembly of panels (such as an R-Pod). The reduction in seams and generally more integrated construction of the body is good for longevity, as proven by the many thirty-year-old moulded fiberglass trailers (such as Boler and Trillium models) that are still in use.

There are no Escapes that old because they have only been in production for a little over a decade; on the other hand, I doubt any Escape has been sent to the scrap heap unless it was in a major collision.

The single feature of an Escape that I particularly like is a detail of the construction: the way the upper and lower parts of the shell are bonded together while still in the moulds avoids issues with what is the weakest feature of some other moulded fiberglass designs. The most important non-technical Escape feature to many owners and some of us in the market is the people of Escape Trailer Industries; Reace, Tammy, and their staff have earned a lot of fans for their responsiveness to customers.

I looked at R-Pods when then came out, and there are two specific features which I particularly dislike:
  • the external wheels (instead of being tucked into the body) add air drag and make the trailer harder to maneouver
  • the curved-down front and rear cut substantially into upper cabinet space (storage can be a big issue in a small RV)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I really liked the galley in one R-pod I toured. My favorite galley was the Airstream 20C. Our goal was to find something that is built to last, has good resale value, and high demand.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
... Our goal was to find something that is built to last, has good resale value, and high demand.
I think you are on the right path to achieving those goals with an Escape.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We had a vintage trailer, a 1968 Aristocrat Land Commander 16 foot, that we restored. So conventional trailers that were well built are still going strong. We took a long trip and decided we needed something with a bathroom. We looked at everything from R-pod to Alto to A-Liner to Casita to Escape, and more. We found the Escape 19 to be the best in space utilization, and was not as small inside as the Casita, comparing the 17 models. We haven't picked up ours yet (we're two weeks away!) but from everything I have read in this forum and from talking with other owners, I believe we made the right choice. Conventional trailers today are too cheaply built for us, and most had the bath in the back which would be a problem for us to get it into our storage space because of our driveway slope. The R-Pod, ditto what Brian B-P said about the curve front and rear. The Alto was very interesting but had the same problem, as did other retro trailers. We didn't like the Casita wall coverings, and they seemed smaller to us. We looked at Escape 17 and 19, and the 19 provided the best set of features for us: queen bed, bathroom, dinette for 4, big enough inside while smaller than many on the outside. It came down to the best set of features for us.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #8

Trailer: No RV for now.
Hi Laura,
We have owned many trailers over the years, including stick-built and molded fiberglass. Some of the reasons for choosing Escape trailers over other brands are:
1. They are quality built and there are many options for customizing
2. The owners of the company (Reace and Tammy), as well as their employees, are wonderful to work with, they provide amazing service, and they stand behind their product!
3. Escapes hold their value; we have sold several and have been amazed at how well they hold their value.
4. They are easier to maintain than many other types of trailers; fewer seams to loosen or leak after miles down the road.
5. Escapes are more spacious than many of the similar trailers on the market; plenty of stoarge and they don't feel tight and cramped inside
6. Escapes hold up well, but as others have mentioned, most trailers will last for many years if properly maintained.
7. The bathroom size in the 21ft. Escape is larger than the 19ft, so that might be a reason for you to consider that model.
8. Having towed numerous Escape trailers over the years, along with other makes as well, we have always been happy with our towing and manuevering experience with Escapes. The tandem wheels of the 19' and 21', as well as the 5.0TA, make them very easy to tow and all are easy to back up.
9. We don't travel with a TV, but owners have installed them in numerous places in their Escapes. I am sure you could find a satisfactory place other than the bed area. If you are open to purchasing a Tundra, you might want to consider the 5.0TA as well.
I suggest that you view as many models of Escapes as you can and spend time inside, getting a feel for how you would use the space and figure out which model is best for you.
Good luck! This forum is a wealth of information and if you search around, you will find answers to most questions you may have.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
1. Durability. Fiberglass trailers LAST.
2. Quality and technique of construction.
3. Resale, resale, resale. Molded fiberglass trailers hold their value.
4. Customization options. Too many to mention.
5. Quality of the people who build it. Reace and Tammy are outstanding, and there are way too many examples of their superior customer service to go into here.
6. Reputation. In the fiberglass community, Escapes are considered some of the best.
7. Weight compared to size. Very light for what you get.
8. Ease of towing and fuel efficiency.
9. As a US buyer, the current exchange rate makes Escapes a better bargain.
10. Being part of a cool group of fellow owners - like us.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Laura, I can't add anything to what has already been covered in this post, but, as the old saying goes about a picture being worth a 1000 words, viewing as Escape is worth even more. If you want to view a 21 prior to attending a rally, I live 10 to 15 minutes south of you, and I'm only 1 mile off I-5. Send me a PM if interested.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Welcome, Laura!

You are close enough to the factory in Chilliwack to go see which bathroom might suit you. You would no doubt be very glad to have the bathroom, from what you have said, which rules out many egg trailers. The 19' and 21' models are very different and it usually comes down to personal preference on the size of the beds and baths.

As for the TV, you can probably have them put it where you want, in the dinette or wherever, but that might depend on the model.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Regarding the television, I have a small TV on a pedestal mount that I sit on my dinette table. When I'm towing I lay it on the bed. But then, I have my own antenna and route the cable through the power cable hatch. It's not pretty, but it works.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
You'll never get me in there to take a shower. Even phone booths were bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Tu.035.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
10. Being part of a cool group of fellow owners - like us.
And that is another great thing about the Escape Forum. I am not really as cool as everyone thinks I am.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
And that is another great thing about the Escape Forum. I am not really as cool as everyone thinks I am.
Well, I AM (not so humble person answering with a swelled head.)

Laura.. welcome, we're a fun group of Escape owners and the others that WANT to own an Escape.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Thus ends my desire to be just like you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Thus ends my desire to be just like you.
Hey, being half as cool as people think I am is still well above average coolness.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #18
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Hi Lara,

We will be getting our Escape this Fall and we almost purchased a 2015 R-Pod. I liked the new floor plan with the kitchen in the rear and the slide out dinette. But, once we looked at an Escape we were sold! The quality was obviously better than our original choice. We like that we have options to customize the trailer--including fabric and where we want to add electrical plugs, etc. My husband wanted a light weight trailer, and the fiberglass has no seams. Currently we have a tent trailer and have had problems with the water leaking through the seams. The Escape is quality and its resale value is astounding. We discovered that we wanted to purchase a used trailer and there are several R-Pods around and others, but it was difficult to find an Escape.

Once you see them you'll know.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
Once you see them you'll know.

Which is why anyone considering an Escape among other brands should see an Escape in person before deciding.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:38 PM   #20

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Since Bruce mentioned small motorhomes...

Sprinter conversions (Class B motorhomes, which are RVs built in a van body) are the size of a Sprinter van, which is up to 23 feet long. The advantage of a tug&trailer is that the combination is typically less expensive than the motorhome alone, the tug also serves other purposes, and the tug can comfortably go places (including parking) where even these small motorhomes are awkward... but they can go just about anywhere on the road.
After driving the Jayco I have absolutely NO interest in getting a motor home or even a Class B van. I watched a couple next to me in Coos Bay and they had to completely unhook and stow their stuff when they wanted to sightsee with their Class B. Nope, not for me.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote