Why should I purchase an Escape? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
What does it look like? It sounds really strange, to say the least. Anyone have photos?
You can look on the Casita web page to look at marine fabric walls, or a friend who has a boat, or look at the inside lining of many truck canopies that are lined to reduce condensation. Many cars have fabric headliners not smooth vinyl and I don't think those look strange at all. My truck canopy has a nice marine fabric liner that simply wouldn't be functional if it were lined with vinyl. To each their own…
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #82

Trailer: 2016 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Steve,
We called them last fall, and used a credit card, no problem. We got a decent exchange rate as well.
I just checked XE.com and $500 Canadian is less than $410 American at the moment. That's a pretty cheap place holder for an excellent product.
And, as I told them in my last email to them, they're the best company I have ever, ever done business with.
Excellent! They make it easy to join the Escape family. After I place my order tomorrow, I'll look forward to this forum for help on a myriad of questions that come from a person that has never had an RV, nor ever pulled a trailer.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #83

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Rat fur is really an unfortunate name for that product , having previously had it we know it is nothing like a "rats fur" , and is exactly what you say repels and never smells - really a pretty comfortable wall covering in a trailer .
Short-pile synthetic automotive upholstery fabric has often been called "mouse fur". The stuff in some brands of trailers seems to be a little longer in pile length, so "rat fur" always made sense to me. It's just description, not an insult, but I can see how people might get the wrong impression.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #84

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Many cars have fabric headliners not smooth vinyl and I don't think those look strange at all.
Yes, I think most cars have fabric now... but of the ones I've noticed they either do not have a cut pile at all, or are extremely short-pile. To me, the Escape lining I first saw on the upper surfaces of an Escape interior was more like typical automotive headliner than the "rat fur" is. I guess it's all solid vinyl now.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:03 AM   #85

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Reading this makes me want to order a new one
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
You can look on the Casita web page to look at marine fabric walls, or a friend who has a boat, or look at the inside lining of many truck canopies that are lined to reduce condensation. Many cars have fabric headliners not smooth vinyl and I don't think those look strange at all. My truck canopy has a nice marine fabric liner that simply wouldn't be functional if it were lined with vinyl. To each their own…
NO, Casita uses carpet. More like a Berber. Scamp has the rat fur.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #87
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Reading this makes me want to order a new one
Why not? Its not like you'd have to wait a long time, or Escape is busy or anything...
Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #88

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Excellent! They make it easy to join the Escape family. After I place my order tomorrow, I'll look forward to this forum for help on a myriad of questions that come from a person that has never had an RV, nor ever pulled a trailer.
Steve, that's where I was at a month ago when I joined this list (although we haven't ordered yet - finances and all that). My only RV experience was a month long rental, starting in mid-April. I have pulled an enclosed trailer, but that was years ago.

I've learned a great deal from this list. When you get an idea about something, you can do a search for it. Usually lots of different threads will pop up and you'll learn even more stuff from them, even if it wasn't your original question. I've started to bookmark certain threads that I know I'll want to refer to again. (And if you don't do a search, someone will tell you to do it, so I think there are some folks that get annoyed when you don't do a search before asking your question. Whatever.)

I've also bookmarked products that folks recommend for their trailers and/or camping trip. Visited Cabela's - found my outdoor chair! I now have subfolders on Firefox for all the different RV stuff (accessories, forum threads, options, travel) I've been looking at.

There are lots of the trailers in this neck of the woods that folks will be willing to show you. I was really curious about the u-shaped dinette and a gal in Seattle offered me a tour and she even mentioned they have a larger (than stock) sink, as she remembered me asking about that in another thread.

Here's my post about testing out the u-shaped dinette (so you don't have to do a search for it - HA!):

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ette-5674.html

Most folks on this forum are very willing to help (and to show you their trailers - all 4 we viewed came about due to this forum). As with all public venues, you get a few poopy people. I've had a few question why we haven't ordered yet (and they weren't too nice about it either) - well, I didn't know you had to order within a certain amount of time of joining this forum. I must have missed that thread. And our personal finances are none of their business anyway.

Have fun in your gathering of knowledge and be prepared to spend lots of time exploring this forum.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #89

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Thumbs up

Quote:
I plan to make that fateful call tomorrow. Life is short!
Congratulations SteveR. I doubt you'll be disappointed. We've never owned an RV either.... Can't think of a better way to see the USA!
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #90

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Congratulations SteveR. I doubt you'll be disappointed. We've never owned an RV either.... Can't think of a better way to see the USA!
We are new to owning a trailer also. The way we see it is to buy what we can live with for years down the road. And if we don't like it or circumstances change, we can sell the trailer and not be out that much money. ETI's trailers have good resale value and so do pickup trucks. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #91

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Laura's comment about owners willing to show, yes of course we are, because we're so happy with our units and want to show others, especially those considering a sticky, how great Fiberglas trailers are. Plus there always is that great reward called a referral, we just received another referral cheque this week, helped pay for a new battery I just picked up.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #92

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
Quote:
I plan to make that fateful call tomorrow. Life is short!
Hi Steve
If you are after a 19 we ordered one and hatch date was May 17 2016. We just got notice that our hatch date has moved up one month. We cannot take possession then, it has to be May 2016 (or Sept 2015- but I don't think that's in the cards). So you can have our April hatch date.

I drink scotch-single malt will do

JohnD
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
Hi Steve
If you are after a 19 we ordered one and hatch date was May 17 2016. We just got notice that our hatch date has moved up one month. We cannot take possession then, it has to be May 2016 (or Sept 2015- but I don't think that's in the cards). So you can have our April hatch date.

I drink scotch-single malt will do

JohnD
JohnD, I put a down payment on a 17' Escape today, and it will be ready February 11! ��
Old 06-12-2015, 12:13 AM   #94

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
Congratulations on taking the plunge.
Looks like I'm buying if we meet up. In February maybe Hot Toddy will be best.
Now for the build sheet!

John D
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #95

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Quote:
JohnD, I put a down payment on a 17' Escape today, and it will be ready February 11! ��
Congratulations on the 17, Steve R!...JohnD too! Now the fun begins... thinking on all the ways to make the trailer your own! Lots of info here on the forum to help figure out what you want. One of the (MY) favorite threads is "It's Friday", where members post pictures received from ETI on the progression of their build. So exciting to see what people have done!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #96

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
NO, Casita uses carpet. More like a Berber. Scamp has the rat fur.

Our 04 Trillium had the neoprene liner (not really very neatly done) the liner in Scamp looks about the same ( just much tidier work ) - wonder if it is the same product ? We are happy with liner in our Escape but also liked the neoprene liner in the Trillium it was just poorly done with oh so many glue smears . The Escape work is pretty much perfect !
Old 06-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
Congratulations on taking the plunge.
Looks like I'm buying if we meet up. In February maybe Hot Toddy will be best.
Now for the build sheet!

John D
Perfect, a Hot Toddy sounds great!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Congratulations on the 17, Steve R!...JohnD too! Now the fun begins... thinking on all the ways to make the trailer your own! Lots of info here on the forum to help figure out what you want. One of the (MY) favorite threads is "It's Friday", where members post pictures received from ETI on the progression of their build. So exciting to see what people have done!
Lucy
Thanks for the recommendation on the "It's Friday" thread!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:42 PM   #99

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well, rat fur is really a marine headliner. But there was a very kind, helpful guy who owned a Scamp on FiberglassRV. Pete Dumbleton was the best kind of guy. He actually owned and traveled with pet rats and he coined the term for the wallcovering. It just stuck. Pete has since passed away, but I like the term rat fur because it always reminds me of Pete and how much he contributed to the forum.

As is said, now you know the rest of the story...
Donna, just realized it's been 5 years since Pete's passing ! How I miss his profound wisdom and personality. He taught me a lot when I first joined the forum.

Often while in our Scamp and see the wall and ceiling covering. I think of Pete.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #100
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Often while in our Scamp and see the wall and ceiling covering. I think of Pete.
Did you ever read the thread between Pete and Gina D., about the Dust Ruffles? Those TWO! My eyes would leak.

Reading the thread here about putting the vertical vinyl strips inside the refrigerator to keep the cold in... Pete would be proud. He did that years ago and said it really, really worked.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote