winter camping in Sacramento/Auburn area-sub 32 degrees - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 01:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
winter camping in Sacramento/Auburn area-sub 32 degrees

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2018 Escape 19. I wish to use it for camping throughout the coming winter season in a rv park near Auburn, California. The area temperatures could be below 32 degrees quite often in the night time. If I leave the trailer alone during weekdays and stay there over the weekends, could it cause problems like water systems broken down? Never did it in this kind of situation before and appreciate if anyone could share your experience.

Thanks!

Oliver
oliverxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
well, if there's a sustained hard freeze, you want your trailer water systems either dry, or full of pink antifreeze.

here in Santa Cruz, I don't bother.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:51 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You didn't mention if you have city power or if it'll be in a campground. If you have power I'd blow out the lines before I left and leave an electric heater on very low to keep cans and such from freezing. If no power but in a campground with facilities, I'd dry camp.

You can blow out the lines with a GOOD 12vdc compressor that clamps to your TV's battery, or a cheap 120vac one if there is power.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you do have hookups and it is just the water system you are afraid of, you can purchase a heated water supply hose which is thermostatically controlled. That and a small electric heater or your furnace set in the 40's should eliminate any issues with water.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I live nearby in a little bit higher elevation. I don't winterize; my water tank stays empty. In 30 years, it's never stayed below 32 in the daytime.

Your refrig/freezer will require a lower setting which you'll probably be able to determine when you're there. If you don't have insulation underneath you might want to line the outside and bottoms of your lower storage compartments with reflectix and put something substantial on the floor--some interlocking rubber mats or a strip of carpet. Since you'll be hooked up to electric, I would turn off the propane tanks. Detach your outside water hose. Lastly, I would leave ALL cabinet doors open while you're gone.

If you can enlist another resident to watch over things and check on your trailer once or twice during the week, that would be ideal, and if you trust them or the management, I'd consider leaving a key with them.

In regards to a heater, I'd be uncomfortable with a ceramic heater on when I'm gone that long, but that's me. Something like this would be less of a risk. https://www.amazon.com/COSTWAY-Radia...ustomerReviews
Old 07-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #6

Better yet, if there is power and wifi, hook up a "Nest" type thermometer that gives you readings on line.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:52 AM   #7

Thank you all for your valuable feedback! I expect to have full hookup service and my trailer has double pane windows and insulation underneath. It has two regular size propane tanks. I would dry water tanks and unplug water hose while I am away or in the night time when it is really cold. Not sure what to do with propane tanks/furnace if I leave the trailer unattended for four or five days-I don't feel comfortable to leave them on but if not the room temperature could be too low. Just checked Amazon and this product looks like a better solution: COSTWAY Oil Filled Radiator Heater Mini Portable Electric Room Thermostat 700W (14" Height) .

Though I still have time to evaluate different options, it may be a really tricky situation if I have to leave the trailer unattended during weekdays...
Old 07-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #8

I use on of those in my trailer during the winter when it is not being used, leave it on and set to medium heat. I also use these to turn the heater on/off https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...35440918&psc=1
without any issues.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use this for long term very low heat in the trailer when at home. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Not exactly space saving but not bad. Think you can find similar in a floorboard style if you hunt around. It has a frost setting.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #10

Trailer: TBD
If you can't trust your propane fired furnace when you are gone from your trailer, why would you trust it while occupying your trailer? Am I missing something here?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:09 AM   #11
Site Team

propane freezing won't burst pipes, its only water that gets bigger as a crystal (ice).
Old 07-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #12

Actually my only concern with the propane tanks is it might run out for the heating while I am away: It can only show when it is used up. I don't know how to read how much is used at a certain time.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
Site Team

I use a fish scale to check how much propane is left.

example: one of my tanks has a 16 lb 6 oz tare weight, thats ~16.4 lbs.

I weigh it, and it comes up 24 lbs, so 24 - 16.4 == 7.6 lbs of propane. propane is 4.2 lbs a gallon at room temp, and a full tank holds about 4.5 gallons(*), or 19 lbs(*), so that tank is 7.625/19 == 40% full.

{*) OPD valves have reduced the nominal capacity sligthly from 5 gallons and 20 lbs to 4.5-4.7 gallons and 18-19 lbs, to prevent propane expansion in hot weathre from popping the safety valve.