5.0TA Sales Tax - Idaho - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
I registered a 5er I bought in Montana this last spring. Since it was new to Idaho I had to have the VIN inspected before I could register it. Since it was a new purchase I had to pay sales tax. I live in Payette county but registered it in Canyon county, the next one east. Ada county is one more county east from Canyon.

I purchased the 5er for $9500 and paid $570 in sales tax at the time of registration. That is exactly 6%. Ada county is where Boise is located and they do some things differently but I have never heard of paying a certain percentage for a certain value and another percentage for the balance. All I have ever seen is a flat 6%.

The registration fee is only $4. There is also an administrative fee of $4. A new plate costs $3.75. The RV sticker is $28.52. My total came to $40.27.

Idaho has a variety of landscapes. The Frank Church River of No Return wilderness area is about as unspoiled as any place in the country, including Alaska. Craters of the Moon national monument is other worldly, being a lava field that is the rival of anything in Hawaii. There is nothing in the Alps or anywhere else to shame the Tetons. We have some of the most productive farm land in the country and we grow a heck of a lot more than potatoes. We also have some of the least scenic desert anywhere in the world and that is where I-84 runs. I-90 on the other hand is pretty nice country. Our hunting and fishing is the talk of all of the outdoor magazines.

I personally do shoot on site, if you are a ground squirrel, feral cat or coyote. I'm pretty accurate with my 10-22.

This is no B.S. When we first moved here I noted how friendly the people were. I started keeping track. It took 6 weeks before the streak was broken. I thought that was pretty nice. We have lots of Mormons, Nazarenes, Friends and Catholics here so I think that helps.

May I suggest that you buy your RV, go to Oregon to register it, tour up and down the Oregon coast for 3 months and then move to Idaho? The Willamette valley is worth a few days visit. A stop around LaGrande would be a good way to while away a couple of weeks. There are some really nice places near there.

For what it is worth, most of Oregon is the same ugly country that southern Idaho is made of. The mountains and coast though are wonderful. The HB Van Duzer corridor is the very definition of forest primeval.

I remember a few years ago the governor of Oregon said something like, "For those seeking to visit the Pacific Northwest, may we suggest Washington, Idaho, California and Nevada." Some Oregonians are not so friendly.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #42

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Sounds like you got an amazing deal on your 5er,
kootenaigirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Sounds like you got an amazing deal on your 5er,
Yes but it isn't an Escape. It a Holiday Rambler Alumiscape 26 footer with a slide. We looked really hard at the Escape 5.0TA but there just weren't any in our price range that weren't trashed. We liked the light weight and compactness of the Escape but the HR is a lot roomier and most importantly, we could afford it.

We really didn't need the slide and a little shorter would have been fine but when buying used you have to take what is available.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need for a dinette booth and a hide-a-bed. We would have been happy with either and the extra floor space of eliminating one would have made the slide redundant.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
We looked really hard at the Escape 5.0TA but there just weren't any in our price range that weren't trashed.
Sounds unlikely. Who could or would trash a trailer in a couple years?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sounds unlikely. Who could or would trash a trailer in a couple years?
Actually we found a couple that had been in wrecks and one that had been flooded that were within our price range. The repair costs would have taken them back out of reach. We also looked at the single axle 5ers and 19'-21' pull trailers as well as the Big Foot and Scamp options. That is where we found used up trailers going for what we could afford. We decided the 5.0TA was what we really wanted but couldn't have. We bought what we could afford that meets our needs. That's the way life works.

We could be like some people and insist that since we are not rich someone else should pay for our RV but that's not us.

Maybe on the next go-round there will be some older 5.0TAs that we can manage.

By the way, you might be surprised how quickly some people can trash an RV. When you are looking in the $10K range you can find fairly new RVs that look like they are 30 year old. As it was we found a 15 year old that looked like a 2 year old and talked the dealer down $4000. That's how we wound up with a Holiday Rambler. Alumascape means it has an aluminum superstructure so it hasn't rusted away like many older RVs.