Another Texan will be heading north. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Another Texan will be heading north.

We will be picking up our trailer without tags and not sure about being able to get temporary tags. We're waiting for our VIN number to start trying to get these.
Our concern is if we can't get these will we be able to get back into Canada after Sumas?Anyone else had this experience? Hopefully, we won't have problems getting temporary tags. We were told we would get VIN # on Monday.
Fingers crossed.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
We will be picking up our trailer without tags and not sure about being able to get temporary tags. We're waiting for our VIN number to start trying to get these.
Our concern is if we can't get these will we be able to get back into Canada after Sumas?Anyone else had this experience? Hopefully, we won't have problems getting temporary tags. We were told we would get VIN # on Monday.
Fingers crossed.
Check out this thread on Texas registraion. Lot's of good info, ideas and suggestions.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...exas-8978.html

I can't personally answer your questions as we won't be going to pick up our Escape until late June but please let us know how it worked out for you as to whether you are able to get the temp tags and if you have any issues going back into Canada.

What county in Texas will you be dealing with? When our turn comes we will head to the Montgomery County Tax Office to try and register or get temp tags for our trailer.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I'm in the same boat as you, just about one month earlier. Last November I was trying to figure out how to register my new trailer and (legaly) travel for 4.5 months before returning to Texas. You can read the discussion details in the thread that was referenced by Mike & Donna above. My primary postings are #1 and #51.

Earlier this week I took all my paperwork and went to the Travis County Tax Collector's office in Austin to register my soon to be new trailer. They insisted I must have VIN inspected in Texas by a member of the Texas Auto Theft Task Force, who will fill out and sign a VTR68-A form even though I was told back in November this wasn't necessary for a new trailer imported from North America.

What we worked out between the tax office and the DMV, was I could get the VIN inspected in some other state (Washington) and then mail in my registration documents. They would then mail me the license plate and registration sticker. I'm working directly with a district manager in the DMV to make this happen. It is up to him to accept the out of state VIN inspection (but it does sound like he is being helpful). I should have more details on the exact process to follow in a few days.

I have the name, phone number, and email of the person in the tax office that I'm sending all the docs to. I'll probably use Fedex to send her the docs and I'll include a prepaid Fedex envelope to send the license plate back to me. She said she would process it within a day after she receives it. So hopefully it will only take a few days from when I mail in the docs to when I get the license plate and sticker back.

Once you get your VIN, you can go to your county tax collector and get a 30 day temporary permit for about $30. However, as the clerk told me, it is only valid in Texas. At least I have something official looking to put in my back window along with the bill of sale and all the import related docs.

Regarding your question of "will we be able to get back into Canada after Sumas?", I don't know, but I'm planning to stay in the US Pacific Northwest until I get my Texas license plates, unless someone else in this forum assures us that going to/from the Canada/US with an unlicensed trailer won't be a problem.

When I started this process by talking to the people in the tax office, they said the trailer must be in Texas for the VIN inspection. I kept (politely) pushing to find some other solution. I told them very clearly that I wasn't coming back to Texas for 4.5 months and there must be some other way to do this. To their credit the did continue to work with me even when they said it couldn't be done.

If you search these forums enough you will find a few owners in Texas who did register their trailers before they picked them up. They got lucky. Perhaps in a small town (such as Canton) you might get lucky too.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
but I'm planning to stay in the US Pacific Northwest until I get my Texas license plates, unless someone else in this forum assures us that going to/from the Canada/US with an unlicensed trailer won't be a problem.
I have noticed a change in the past year or two that might relate to that situation. In past years they really didn't pay much attention to the trailer. Now, I keep my trailer license number on a sticker that I can see at a glance. They often ask what the trailer license number is. (even though they can probably see it on a camera ) They do seem to be making an effort to track the trailer. So I'm not sure what the situation would be if you said you didn't have a license plate.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
It appears all Texas counties have a different approach. I finally gave up trying to be proactive and just picked up the trailer without tags. I did not have a need to return to Chilliwack. I finally contacted Polk County and they instructed me on how to order them by mail. Good luck in your county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I finally contacted Polk County and they instructed me on how to order them by mail.
How did you do the VIN inspection?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:

They did not require it of me. How about them apples?

I am not sure if it was because I am an Escapee or what. They have a large presence in Polk County.

Red Dog

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
They did not require it of me. How about them apples?

I am not sure if it was because I am an Escapee or what. They have a large presence in Polk County.

Red Dog
Great to hear, hope I am so lucky when my turn comes. Will keep my finger crossed. If they end up required a VIN inspection I will just be hauling my trailer with no license for 6 weeks as we will be taking the long way home.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
The first clerk we talked with wanted the VIN inspection. The second and third ones never mentioned it. All 3 in the same office working mere feet apart albeit on different days. And all 3 went to the same supervisor's office for guidance. It's an amazing process! We were able to buy two 30 day temp tags (CASH $$$ only - no checks no credit cards - weird) before leaving for Chilliwack. We were even able to select a future start date. Good luck!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The nice thing about bureaucrats is if you ask enough of them you will finally get the answer you wanted....in the first place!
Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #11

Trailer: pondering.....
with no disrespect, the only thing that all government employees know for sure is the date they are eligible for retirement!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote