Are Delivery Charges included in Sales Tax? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Are Delivery Charges included in Sales Tax?

For any of you who paid for delivery of your camper, when you went to register it and pay the sales taxes, were the delivery charges included in the total cost in determining the sales taxes? We are going to have to have ours delivered, and according to an email response I got from Escape yesterday, the delivery charge to Goshen Indiana has gone up to $4000 CDN (from $3000 earlier this year). Since we have a sales tax rate of a little over 9% here in Tennessee, if that delivery charge will be included, that is going to be quite a hit. Thanks
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Ask ETI to provide documentation that states what you actually paid for the trailer in US funds, and handle the delivery charges separately.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

Thanks Carl, this is kind of what I was hoping to hear. I will speak to them about doing that. Especially since they are not actually doing the delivery themselves.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Would that not be something that would be unique to the local taxing authorities? It seems each state determines just what is subject to sales tax, some tax restaurant food but not groceries, some exempt professional services such as attorneys and accounts and it seems liquior and tobacco are everyone favorites.

I believe you are going to have to contact Tennessee Department of Revenue. The other option would be to contact an auto dealer, not a salesman, but the finance person, and ask how new cars are calculated.

Many states have taken those decisions on imported vehicles out of the hands of local offices and have designated an official (s) at the central revenue office.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #5

I'm sure that you are correct about it being different from state to state. I know that there are some Escape owners from Tennessee on here who had their camper delivered and I'm hoping they will chime in. If not, I will start stalking them via private message since they have been there and done that. I live in a small rural county so I'm guessing they have limited experience on things like this.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Normally delivery is not part of cost subject to sales tax as you are paying for a service, not a product. That is the way it is in Maryland and Pennsylvania. As a resident of Tennessee, what sales taxes are paid on repairs, just on the parts or on parts and labor? That may be a starting point. Also do not forget to reduce the $$ to US amounts, on both delivery and the trailer.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #7

Jim, yep, definitely going to make sure the county clerk uses the US rate. We've already paid most of our cost, and Escape has very clearly listed both Canadian and US dollars on each payment we've made.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You should have a sales document that will show one total cost paid for the trailer. Your licensing office may not care about any separate payments you have made. Some do, some do not.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I'm sure that you are correct about it being different from state to state. I know that there are some Escape owners from Tennessee on here who had their camper delivered and I'm hoping they will chime in. If not, I will start stalking them via private message since they have been there and done that. I live in a small rural county so I'm guessing they have limited experience on things like this.
Greg and Teresa,
In the fall of 2014, we did not have ours delivered, but since we had paid for almost all of it ahead of time, Tammy sent us a Bill of Sale, MSO, and other related documents that I took to the Department of Motor Vehciles and got our license plate ahead of time, so that we had it when we picked up our 21'.
The point is, the tax and registration are separate from going to get it or having it delivered. Maybe they would send you the documents ahead of time, showing only the purchase price.
My only issue was that the purchase price was shown in Candadian Dollars which baffled the DMV, until they accepted my pre-printed conversion to USD. I understand Tammy will now send you documents showing USD, if requested.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote