Best State for Sales Tax (of states without state income tax) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
One observation: even if there were tax advantages to changing my state of residence, and even if I was full timing, I would not feel right about changing it to a state I had no intention of even visiting, or learning more about. I'd have to at least 'like' the state I chose. I feel "tied" to my current state of residence, and that involves more than just what's listed on a tax form.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Hawaii is smart...biggest taxes affect the tourists!
h2owmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Hawaii is smart...biggest taxes affect the tourists!
I think we can safely cross Hawaii off the list for now. Not what you'd call an RVing Mecca.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #44

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
You might find this interesting info

https://www.avalara.com/blog/2017/05...tax-wednesday/

I know its 100% legal to own a Montana LLC and never step foot in the state. many law firms will do this and mail you your plates under $800 .https://www.49dollarmontanaregistere...montana/rv-llc
.Is it worth you beating the sails tax on a escape. maybe not . but people buying a 300,000 motor home love Montana. many of them use a South Dakota address and Montana plates.

Heath care in another issue to consider
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #45
Aly

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
...Heath care in another issue to consider
Thanks for bringing up these other issues. I'm under Medicare age, so medical insurance is an expense that could swamp out my initial purchase sales tax pretty quick. I'll be looking at that more closely.
Also, the corn and ice cream considerations require careful scrutiny.
Aly
Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This article breaks it down pretty well. It has a nice chart that compares all 50 states across the three tax types that make up state tax burden — property taxes, individual income taxes, and sales and excise taxes — as a percentage of total personal income in the state. I wouldn't feel so bad being at #7 if I knew we were efficient in running our state government.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...4/#methodology
I suspect what you actually pay varies by the individual's situation. For example, I'm in NY, which is listed as the highest on that survey. Since I'm living on retirement from a state institution, no state income tax on it or social security. I get a 30% exemption on property tax being a Viet Nam Combat Vet, and the STAR program cuts my school tax (Property & school taxes are separate in NY) almost in half. Sales tax at home is quite a bit less than I just paid in Phoenix, AZ.

While I agree with Steve & wouldn't choose a domicile I planed to live in for tax purposes, if you are serious about a search for the actual lowest tax burden for your situation, I would consult a good accountant familiar with the national picture. Probably hard to find, but there are lots of hidden gimmicks.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
Thanks for bringing up these other issues. I'm under Medicare age, so medical insurance is an expense that could swamp out my initial purchase sales tax pretty quick. I'll be looking at that more closely.
Also, the corn and ice cream considerations require careful scrutiny.
Aly

I'm in the same boat being under medicare age. I've found health care far scarier than taxes. It's an entirely new issue now outside of domicile and taxes. A wrong choice and a bad health issue can be devastating in many ways. Research this carefully before making a decision on where to live.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #48

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I run across these blog today

There is lots of good info under Full-timing Logistics

Resources | Interstellar Orchard
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post

Aly
You are correct on the three states usually used for full timing which are SD, FL and TX because they do not require your presence and do not require a fixed address for obtaining a driver's license or such (in addition to no state income tax). As mentioned by advenas, however, few full timers would be using their Escape tax (too small to matter that much in the whole picture) and instead they focus on the health care situation, especially when under 65. You need to look at your health care possibilities in those states.

Just for your info, our Texas registration was just $74 (I pay more for specialty plates) after paying an extra $90 or more the first year for any vehicle coming into the state, and some extra for title.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #50

Trailer: 17
Full Time RVer - How to Get Your Mail, Vote & Driver's License | Technomadia

http://www.technomadia.com/excuses/
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find as I age my priorities change. Health care and it's availability and public transportation have started to inch their way up the ladder. You can save all the money from taxes all your life but if you are not well, what is it worth? Property out in the suburbs away from everyone was once desirable, now neighbors who can assist you become important. Your doctors also seem to be closer to populated areas as do hospitals. Although I have never been admitted to a hospital I have visited and seen what they can do for people. If you lose your eyesight, that sales tax you saved may not help you when you need someone to take you someplace. Just some sobering thoughts.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good reference gocamp.
One of the choices full timers face is the decision to sell it all and go nomadic like Technomada or go FT/PT and keep a home base property to operate out of. We decided years ago to do the FT/PT and set out to find a base property that we’ll move to prior to going on the road. This is also currently what Jon Vermilye is doing as well. Fortunately AZ is ranked pretty high on the favorable domiciles and as Jon explained earlier there are many advantages for him to remain domiciled in NY.
Everyone needs to base their decision on their personal situation if they decide to go FT, but probably the easiest is to keep a base property which also satisfies the Patriot Act provisions and won’t be challenged as trying to escape aggressive tax states.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #53

When someone says they will be fulltime, I assume that they mean they have no home base. If you have a home base, no problem, because you are not out there full time. You then have a fixed address to use for legal matters. With no home base, it becomes very different as to what state one can use. A home base automatically gives you a domicile in most cases.

The state which the OP needs to apparently worry about is Colorado and making certain that their business and more are moved to their new domicile. There are quite a few things to take care of on that, and as Rubicon mentioned, the Escapees organization has plenty of information on that.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Cathy that's not always the case. Many that are "Full Timers" purchase an Escapees lot in one of the parks (If you can get one, long waiting lists) or an RV pad some with casita buildings that operate no different than keeping a property as a home base that they return to on a semi regular basis.
In my mind however they want to define it, like you FT means completely severed, and FT/PT means there is some type of base. But that's just the way I've always defined it. Most seem to call themselves Full Timers whether they have a base or not.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #55

Greg, I have been an Escapees member for several years and read much of their forum so, yes, I know there are many with lots at Livingston and elsewhere. There are many others, however, who use the Escapees address and have no lot and simply travel the country. Some are domiciled in TX with many in SD and FL. In fact, we have a couple of Escape owners doing that, no lot and using the Livingston address as their legal address.

A few who are not actually full timers sometimes call themselves "longtimers" or just say that they only travel part time. Many were on the road for quite a few years but now have a base. They often did not in the beginning. Quite a few sell the house and go on the road and have no base. But they all have to have a domicile. The ones I see on the forums with a base usually were fulltimers before and do not refer to themselves as fulltimers now. They often say that they now only travel some of the time (or most of the time).
Old 12-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I have a house in FL and yes no state income tax, but high auto insurance rates (and they r going up!) and high property taxes, although not as high as the highest states, CA, NY, NJ etc.
As has been mentioned Montana really sells itself as a base for full timers, although some states over ride that depending on ur residency status. As states seek more revenue, I'd not be surprised if they don't attempt to continue try to tighten their rules to address this lose of revenue.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:05 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Florida has both state and local sales tax. I paid for my 2014 Escape 21 in December 2013. The purchase price was around $28,200 US, and my sales tax and registration in Santa Rosa County was $1,744.90.

For those thinking of having a "base" in Florida: I live in a rural area about fifteen miles from the bay, I guess. My property taxes are moderate, given homestead exemption. My problem has been acquiring and maintaining property insurance, given our prevalence of hurricanes. I inherited the property in 2007 and I didn't get wind coverage until 2017, after extensive modifications to the house. Yesterday I paid $1,500 to have a big oak tree trimmed back to prevent my insurance company from canceling the policy. It's been one thing after another with insurance, but I think I've finally turned the corner. What an ordeal!
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you lose your eyesight, that sales tax you saved may not help you when you need someone to take you someplace.
My visit to the ophthalmologist:
Dr.: "You have cataracts in both eyes. The right eye is particularly bad; you'll need surgery soon."
Me: "What?! I'm going blind?! I thought that was an old wives' tale!"
Dr.:
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #59

Montana has never been considered a full timers domicile choice, at least by the people I see. They are still mostly using FL, SD and TX for domicile. Domicile and sales tax are two different things. People are sometimes using Montana when they buy expensive units to avoid the sales tax in their home state which is still often one of the three above. If you buy a unit that is hundreds of thousands of dollars, that is a lot of sales tax. Some states, however, do go after people who try to avoid their sales tax by using a Montana set-up. You have to have a domicile state that goes along with Montana's set-up, and not all do.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have to repeat a story told to me while camping in Montana a couple of years ago. I was relaying my thoughts on relocating to Montana because of the views, clean air, and other reasons. He said a lot of people who relocate here, especially out in the boonies end up dying. Not from bears or other wildlife, but from starvation. There is a reason why some homes have a door on the second floor, in order to get out during snow season. Without proper preparation and food stores, you may not survive as you can be snowed in 6 months!!

Tags
domicile, registration, sales tax