Best State for Sales Tax (of states without state income tax) - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #61

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Montana has never been considered a full timers domicile choice, at least by the people I see. They are still mostly using FL, SD and TX for domicile. Domicile and sales tax are two different things. People are sometimes using Montana when they buy expensive units to avoid the sales tax in their home state which is still often one of the three above. If you buy a unit that is hundreds of thousands of dollars, that is a lot of sales tax. Some states, however, do go after people who try to avoid their sales tax by using a Montana set-up. You have to have a domicile state that goes along with Montana's set-up, and not all do.
While working with the Treasury I was assigned a detail with the State of Maryland to assist them in identifying and determining where an individuals tax home is located.Maryland like other states are enforcing their laws to close loopholes and identify those who may owe additional Maryland income taxes. I'm sure other states are doing the same.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #62

One more item, there is an excise tax on importing your trailer into the US, and the excise tax is collected by the state on behalf of the Federal Government. In Pennsylvania it is 6%, which coincidentally is the same rate as the sales tax. For the past 6 years, about 90 days after taking delivery of the Escape, I'm contacted by the State informing me that this excise tax is due. The first time I called and informed them that I had paid a 6% sales tax when I register my vehicle. they asked for a copy of my papers and I mailed them it. The second and third time this happened I called and told them to look at the first file and see that my sales taxes were paid each and every time. Coincidentally both departments are in the same building at the capitol, 3 floors apart. all they had to do was go downstairs to check the record and that is exactly what I told them to do, the second and third time they contacted me. Case closed.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One more item, there is an excise tax on importing your trailer into the US, and the excise tax is collected by the state on behalf of the Federal Government.
If it's collected on behalf of the federal government, then why is there no excise tax in my state or many other states?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #64

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
On a trip back from Alaska this summer, I camped next to and talked to several individuals who used Montana as their domicile state, for many reasons, but primarily because they believed in Montana's less government and regulations approach. Their legislature only convenes every other year and then only for about 90 days per their state's Constitution.

My property taxes r high in Florida because I built a new house, but my homeowners insurance is bearable because it is built to the latest wind mitigation standards.
U end up paying one way or the other...
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If it's collected on behalf of the federal government, then why is there no excise tax in my state or many other states?
Because you probably paid a sales tax, like I did in order to register your vehicle, it's 6.25% in Texas, correct?
Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
My property taxes r high in Florida because I built a new house, but my homeowners insurance is bearable because it is built to the latest wind mitigation standards.
I took advantage of a FEMA program in the Panhandle called Rebuild Northwest Florida to have my house reinforced to modern wind mitigation standards. That cut my insurance cost in half, and was the only way I could afford wind coverage. The retrofit included the installation of metal "hurricane clips" to secure the roof rafters to the house frame, reinforcement of the gable ends, and fitting the house for hurricane shutters. Expensive impact-resistant windows were an option, but FEMA wouldn't cover any extra cost involved. They (meaning you, US taxpayers), covered 75% of the other costs. Thank you.

I opted for the shutters, but on my last trip I became worried that a storm would blow through while I was away (Irma went east of me, Nate went west) and not able to put up the shutters, so when I returned I bit the bullet and bought the impact-resistant windows for my house. Twenty thousand dollars, or to be precise $20,306.60. They will be installed in late January. No taxpayer money involved.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #67

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
That's what, 40 windows?
Old 12-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #68
Site Team

Quote:
Because you probably paid a sales tax, like I did in order to register your vehicle, it's 6.25% in Texas, correct?
You did too though. So why would Pennsylvania (a State) come after you for a federal tax? Makes no sense. I can't find any online reference to a federally required excise tax on imported vehicles - just one for heavy commercial vehicles like semi trucks and trailers, etc.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #69

The state collects the excise tax if you did not pay any sales tax, one or the other. It's their attempt to generate revenue, stronger enforcement. One division does not know what the other division is doing, though.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #70
Site Team

Quote:
The state collects the excise tax if you did not pay any sales tax, one or the other. It's their attempt to generate revenue, stronger enforcement. One division does not know what the other division is doing, though.
I get that, I guess, but how exactly would the State get any money? If it's a federal tax, the money goes to the feds, not the State. No revenue generation there.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #71

Quote:
I get that, I guess, but how exactly would the State get any money? If it's a federal tax, the money goes to the feds, not the State. No revenue generation there.
Just like the taxes on gas and fuel, you pay at the pump, it goes to the retailer here in the state. Some goes to the state and federal by the retailer.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Boy, am I confused.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #73

When you buy gasoline there are a myriad of taxes involved which are collected and then dispersed. Trucks on highways pay highway use excise taxes, paid by the truck owner. WE pay taxes on just about everything, Maryland at one time had a "rain tax" for those that had rain water draining from their properties into the Chesapeake Bay.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
That's what, 40 windows?
I think it was 21 window openings, some of which are double. The impact-resistant windows are double-paned, with the inner layer like a car windshield, thick with a layer of plastic embedded to contain shards if/when they shatter. On the upside, the windows are energy-efficient, so they should pay for themselves in like, 200 years.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
On a trip back from Alaska this summer, I camped next to and talked to several individuals who used Montana as their domicile state, for many reasons, but primarily because they believed in Montana's less government and regulations approach. Their legislature only convenes every other year and then only for about 90 days per their state's Constitution.

U end up paying one way or the other...
If they use Montana, they are likely not fulltimers and have some kind of base property there. Or, if fulltimers, they have relatives or others who have allowed them to use their fixed address for legal documents.

There are fulltimers all over who do not use FL, TX or SD but they have a relative or base in the state they are using. Otherwise, it is difficult or impossible to get a driver's license, vehicle registration and more needed for a domicile state. Must have a fixed address in most cases. People who are out there fulltiming in RVs have no fixed address.

Florida has many fulltimers, and they can even use an Escapees address for their legal address AFAIK, which I believe was a more recent development.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Boy, am I confused.
You and me both. I can find no reference to a federal excise tax on imported vehicles, except for the big commercial ones.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #77

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
You and me both. I can find no reference to a federal excise tax on imported vehicles, except for the big commercial ones.
I found something that said that generally vehicles manufactured in Canada or Mexico would have no tax if for personal use. It seemed that it was a NAFTA thing but could not tell for sure. It is possible that some states send out such paperwork to all buyers from either country because many sales are for commercial purposes. But no telling.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #78

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Yup. And I don't get that if the state doesn't nail you with a sales tax, the feds step in with an excise tax...doesn't make sense to me but maybe I misread the earlier postings.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #79

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I found something that said that generally vehicles manufactured in Canada or Mexico would have no tax if for personal use. It seemed that it was a NAFTA thing but could not tell for sure.
Yes - currently NAFTA, and before that was the Canada-United States Free Trade Agreement (but for Canada and the U.S. only), and before that was the Auto Pact (again Canada and the U.S. only).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
domicile, registration, sales tax