Best State for Sales Tax (of states without state income tax) - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Aly

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Best State for Sales Tax (of states without state income tax)

I'm choosing a domicile state and will switch states first and then pay the sales tax on my new Escape 17B second. Has anyone researched which is lightest on the sales tax for a trailer: South Dakota, Texas or Florida? That would be assuming I used one of the address-and-forwarding outfits, so it would be the total town, county & state sales tax on a trailer for that particular place.
I would like to choose the state that takes the smallest bite for licence and registration, both initially and on an ongoing basis. I bet someone has figured out the cheapest state & address service. Anyone know the answer?
If the answer has been posted elsewhere, could someone direct me to that thread?
Thanks so much,
Aly (who has 220 more days before her 17B is ready)

Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Delaware has no sales tax either, but you need to pick one for your domicile. Also some states only tax you on the difference, for example only the increase in basis is taxable, thus if you sold one and then bought another you may be able to defer the original cost of your old one. It varies state by state. Ever wonder why a lot truck tractor trailers are registered in Maine, low renewal fees, another issue. Someone mentioned today that California has no renewal fees for rv trailers? Also what sate is on your Escape paperwork? that may throw a kink in transfer later?
I dealt with federal and state taxes for a career and what is good in one can bite you in another. Here is a start https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxe...ees/ss-BBF2rZP

Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
The 17B wont make CA permanent trailer registration because it has to be <16ft
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
https://www.google.com/amp/s/rv-road...lltime_rv/amp/

If I could pick any state as residency as a full timer, it would probably be one of four:

Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Wyoming

But, if you are a legal resident of Montana, there is NO sales tax. That alone might make a change of legal residency worth it, considering the high sales taxes in other states.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Casita 17 ft SD 2014 Ram 1500 V8
My choice of residency is determined by friends , family and history, not by taxes !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
My suggestion is to query up "best states for retirement" or "best states for early retirement" depending on your situation. But the list below plus Florida is a good start.

Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Wyoming
Old 12-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My choice of residency is determined by friends , family and history, not by taxes !
Yes of course, but this is about full timers. They may pass through all fifty states in a calendar year. They aren't tied to a domicile like you or I. I'm proud of my state of legal residency, and I love it here. But if I were full timing and didn't spend alot of time here, I would consider it completely appropriate to look at the tax advantages of perhaps changing my state of residency.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
RVs & Motorhomes

Registering your Florida recreational vehicle is the same process as registering any standard car or truck. Visit our page on Car Registration in Florida for details.
Titles Not Needed For...

Florida titles are not required for the following:
  • Slide-in campers.
  • Modular homes.
  • Add-a-rooms.
  • Port-a-rooms.
  • Trailers weighing less than 2,000 lbs.

So you will pay tag, title and tax of at least 6% to register in Florida.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Casita 17 ft SD 2014 Ram 1500 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes of course, but this is about full timers. They may pass through all fifty states in a calendar year. They aren't tied to a domicile like you or I. I'm proud of my state of legal residency, and I love it here. But if I were full timing and didn't spend alot of time here, I would consider it completely appropriate to look at the tax advantages of perhaps changing my state of residency.
I'll rephrase my answer , taxes have never been a motivating factor for me . I am a proud resident of the State of Minnesota and gladly pay taxes to my home state. As I said all my friends ,family and history are there . Others may not feel loyalty to anything and I wish them well
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Aly

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...Also what state is on your Escape paperwork? that may throw a kink in transfer later?
I live in Colorado now and that's the state listed for my order. I don't know how far in advance I would have to switch domicile states to have the new state in effect--that's a really good point.
Colorado has relatively low state sales tax, but with my city & county taxes, I think the total is 7.5%. When I bought my used Casita 2 years ago, I was surprised by the tax bite when I registered it. Now that I'm leaving Colorado to live on the road full time, I know to take sales tax into consideration when choosing a domicile state.
Aly

Aly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
domicile, registration, sales tax