Buying an Escape in the US and importing to Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
rvr

Trailer: na
Buying an Escape in the US and importing to Canada

Hi,
I am looking at an option to buy a used Escape in Washington and importing it to BC. I am new on this, so have lots of questions:
- What is the best way to inspect everything is working well on the Escape? Or should I look for an inspector to do so?
- What is a safe way to pay for it (for both seller and buyer)?
- Do I have to get a temporary permit in Washington to get it to the border?
- Are there import duties? Do I need to hire some customs broker?
- Do I have to pay both GST/PST upon entry to BCS?
Thanks for your help,
Javier
rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvr View Post
This is only an educated guess, but I can't see how there could be duty on a product which was manufactured in Canada when it re-enters Canada. If you have the right documents, and fill out the right forms, I don't know what a customs broker would be needed for.

Quote:
- Do I have to pay both GST/PST upon entry to BC?
It appears from Bulletin PST 308 - PST on Vehicles that there would be 7% PST in British Columbia.

Back to an educated guess... generally there isn't GST on a private purchase; however, if the original purchaser took delivery in the U.S. (exported by Escape Trailer Industries) no GST would have been paid, so it might be due when it re-enters Canada.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Hi,
I am looking at an option to buy a used Escape in Washington and importing it to BC. I am new on this, so have lots of questions:
- What is the best way to inspect everything is working well on the Escape? Or should I look for an inspector to do so?
- What is a safe way to pay for it (for both seller and buyer)?
- Do I have to get a temporary permit in Washington to get it to the border?
- Do I have to pay both GST/PST upon entry to BCS?
Thanks for your help,
Javier
Javier, you should pay for it with a US$ bank draft. Your Canadian bank will have no problem getting this for you. Much the best way of doing it. In this way, you can give it to the seller only when you are happy with it. You wouldn't have to pay duty as the trailer is manufactured in BC, but you almost certainly will have to pay GST and PST. You may have to pay the GST and the border and the PST when you register it with ICBC at an autoplan agent.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
A&B

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
You may have to pay the GST and the border and the PST when you register it
This is how it worked when I imported our trailer back in 2011. No need for a broker. GST at customs, PST when you register. Will have to take it to Canadian Tire for an inspection as per RIV. (https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx)
A&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
The one question not answered is the temporary permit. Many US new Escape owners have picked up their trailer at Sumas without plates or permits since their home state needed it there before issuing a plate. Nobody has reported that they were ever stopped because trailer had no plate.

When we bought our used Escape in WA last year the owners left their plate on the trailer. I figured less chance of being stopped although likely would have had an issue carrying a plate no longer valid.

You certainly do not need a plate to go to Cdn Tire in BC for the RIV inspection. I took off the WA plate to do that here especially since my closest CTC is 70 km away.

Yes you do have to pay GST at the border but they use the current Bank of Cda exchange rate which is less than what the bank would charge. When registering MB used the same rate to calculate PST.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Lucky for you Adrian we didn't report the sale to the Authorities until you were safely over the border! ������
Old 01-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Lucky for you Adrian we didn't report the sale to the Authorities until you were safely over the border! ������
Old 01-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post

You certainly do not need a plate to go to Cdn Tire in BC for the RIV inspection. I took off the WA plate to do that here especially since my closest CTC is 70 km away.

I've bought a trailer in Oregon with a valid AK plate and towed it back home.

I've also bought one in WA without a plate and gotten a a temporary permit for it.

I've also been caught on the road in BC without a valid license and that was $660 mistake.

I'd now tend to be careful about being on the road in BC without a valid permit.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've bought a trailer in Oregon with a valid AK plate and towed it back home.

I've also bought one in WA without a plate and gotten a a temporary permit for it.

I've also been caught on the road in BC without a valid license and that was $660 mistake.

I'd now tend to be careful about being on the road in BC without a valid permit.

Ron
Had I been stopped in MB on the way to or from CTC that would not have been an issue since could not register it until it passed the RIV and I was on my way to CTC or home to do or from the RIV inspection.

I know Ontario and Quebec are particular about having no plate, that's why I left my plate on my old 5.0 for the new owner to haul in those provinces.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #10

Two other experiences, aside from the expensive fine, that make me believe that contacting ICBC is a good idea.

I bought a car in CA and obtained a temporary permit, based only on the VIN, from ICBC that insured me and made it legal to be on the road.

When I built my car I got a permit from ICBC that made it legal to drive to the inspection facility only.

So it seems to me that moving anything that moves on roads in BC does require a permit. Not being legal can be expensive. From my point of view definitely worth a phone call to ICBC to clarify.

Ron
Old 01-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #11

Ron I neglected to mention that once I had the title and bill of sale in Spokane I faxed it my our insurance company who then issued temporary insurance for the trip home which covered the trailer (and in effect the yet to be issued plate) until I got to the insurance company with the appropriate documents, i.e. the customs form, RIV inspection form, bill of sale, and US title.

Of course each province has its own regulations, it's best that the OP follows what applies in BC.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #12

OK, yes, that was an important fact.

In my CA case I hadn't paid for the car but ICBC still issued me temporary insurance coverage by using the VIN. Definitely worth checking what ICBC says about hauling the trailer without not only the registration but more importantly from the penalty view, any insurance.

Ron
Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
... ICBC still issued me temporary insurance coverage by using the VIN. Definitely worth checking what ICBC says about hauling the trailer without not only the registration but more importantly from the penalty view, any insurance.
While the B.C. information is what a B.C. resident needs, I'll note for others that this varies by jurisdiction. Here in Alberta liability for the trailer is covered by the tow vehicle's policy; there's no need (if all you are concerned about is liability) to insure the trailer at all. My policy does list one of my trailers, but as an informational note only - there's no premium for the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote