Buying used in Canada and returning to US - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Buying used in Canada and returning to US

Has anyone bought a used Escape in Canada and then brought it home to the US. Any words of wisdom on the process, etc?
Thanks.
Fran
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Yes, April 2012. Mine was purchased from the factory and they provided the necessary paperwork. As I recall I needed the Bill of Sale and the Customs form to complete my Idaho registration. We had to take possession on the Canadian side; I believe now that Escape delivers to the US side. I don't know how it works if you purchase directly from a Canadian owner, but I'm guessing that the Escape masters would help you with that process also. Regardless, the trailer is well worth the effort. Good luck!
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the insight and encouragement! Tammy & Reace seem to be really helpful.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Yes, April 2013. Seller obtained two forms from Tammy, one relating to trailer, and one relating to me as importer. I crossed at Osoyoos. Customs was only concerned with form for trailer, not title, bill of sale, or the form about me as importer. After some brief confusion about whether the coupler met US DOT specs the form was stamped and I drive on. There were no questions about duties, registration or licensing. I think questions about the coupler or other aspect of the trailer are hit or miss depending on how familiar the Customs Agent is with the process.

I had a registration application from my state which I filled out and taped the applicants copy in the back window. No problems.

British Columbia did not require any tax or title transfer on the purchase. That is to be done in your state. I did purchase a one day title/insurance policy from BC just to be in the safe side before I crossed the border. The previous owners were very helpful in contacting Tammy about requirements.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. Both replies ease my concerns about how to get this done. Obviously Tammy & Reace make the process go more smoothly which is greatly appreciated! I will be checking with our local New Mexico DMV about what needs to be done here in advance.
Thanks again,
Fran
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #6

Fran,
The only other issue is money exchange. I wired money from my credit union to the sellers bank account. I had to pay 1.5% exchange fee to the Canadian bank. That fee might vary from bank to bank. The wire transfer took 4-5 hours to go through and I was told by the bank it could take a day. If you take cash over $10,000 you have to report that to Canadian customs. I don't know what further delay or paperwork that might involve. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
The payment method is probably the trickiest issue. Tammy helped there also, but there were a few fees that I might have decreased with more research and planning. I did get an Idaho temporary registration and insurance coverage before the pickup.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #8

Thanks - I checked with my Wells Fargo banker and they told m they can wire US dollars to a Canadian account for $45. I'm hoping it is as simple as that......plus the necessary paperwork for title, customs, etc which I hope Tammy and Reace can help us with if the deal proceeds....
Fran
Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Trailer: not yet
How about a U.S. citizen buying used from a Canadian citizen instead of from Escape? Anyone know:

Are there any Canadian taxes to be paid?

What U.S. forms are needed to bring trailer into the U.S.?

I'm assuming that there will be some sort of state sales tax paid when applying for state tags. Bill of sale enough info? I live in California.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

That is exactly what we are doing. The trailer we have bought and are picking up July 15 is physically AT the Escape plant but it is a private sale to us from a Canadian citizen. We are having some additions made by Escape before we pick it up.

Tammy at Escape has been very helpful and sent us all the paperwork we need to get it from Canada to the US. There is no Canadian sales tax or import fee to be paid but we will have to pay tax on it in New Mexico. We are unable to get plates or even temporary tags for it before we physically get it home to New Mexico and have a VIN inspection. So we will just tow either without tags or take the tag from our current trailer and put it on so we don'[t get pulled over. We'll carry all the paperwork with us just in case!
Even at that, we are going to have to find a DMV manager or supervisor because BC does not issue a 'title' like we use here. They have a title/registration which is just a slip of paper the seller signs and gives to you. We had to go to our local AAA office to actually speak with someone who could call a personal contact at the DMV and get the information about going to a manager or supervisor. We fully expect to have difficulty with that when the time comes.

By the way, if you DON't drive up and bring it across the border yourself but have Escape deliver it instead, you have to pay a $375 import agent fee. That fee does not apply to NEW trailers that Escape ships.
Fran & Dave
Old 06-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #11

I also bought from a private seller in BC and brought the trailer to the US. US Customs only wanted CBP Form 7501. It is only one page with basic info. Copies can be obtained in advance from Escape.

As Fran said in the previous post, the BC "title" is a simple certificate of registration from the Insurance Corp of BC. However, you can get a Transfer/Tax Form from ICBC that documents the sale of the trailer. This form may help satisfy your state title requirements. No tax is charged in Canada or at the crossing into US.

When you cross the border with the trailer be prepared to point out the sticker that says the trailer complies with US standards.

Overall the process went smoothly. The previous owners helped procure the forms.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #12

When we came back to the US in July with our newly purchased used Escape from a private seller we had no problem. We came though the Sumas border figuring they were likely to have seen these trailers before....
The only form they wanted was the 7501 and our passports. They did examine the trailer for the vin # I guess and any thing else that they were looking for...didn't go inside, just an outside inspection. We had the Canadian registration and the bill of sale which were needed, along with the 7501 form in order to register the trailer when we got it home to New Mexico.
Sold both 7/22
Old 10-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Would you have a copy of the 7501 you could email? It looks a little confusing and I am guessing a lot of boxes don't have to be filled out.
Thanks.

Murray
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Murphy

Of whom are you asking this question? The thread you are posting to is now six years old, chances are that a good number of the original posters are gone.

Perhaps asking the moderators to close this thread and you start a new one with a description of just what you are trying to accomplish.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:57 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Fudge Brownie is correct in that this is an old thread. If you want a Customs form go here for a description as well as instructions for completion: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/programs-a.../cbp-form-7501
Old 10-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #16

I saw the post and am contacting him to provide the document he requested so he can see how we filled it out.
Fran
Sold both 7/22