California dmv success! - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 - 21'
Smile California dmv success!

Escape Community
Judy & I are pleased to report that we picked up our new family member "Billie" (a gorgeous 21' Escape) on Monday, February 22nd and made our way back to Woodland, CA. We made a stop in Hillsboro, OR for Charley Young at RV Widget Works to work his magic on 2 ginormous under bed drawers. Coming from a 17' Casita we are awed by the quality of construction, extra roominess and storage space in the Escape 21' enhanced by Charlie's well crafted mods.
Yesterday 3/4/2016 I am pleased to report that "Billie" was registered at the California DMV with only 1 appointment that took just 45 minutes from start to finish at the local Woodland office!
This contrasts with the 5 appointments it took to register the Casita in 2013 not suggesting in any way a local bias for Canadian imported machinery versus Texas imported equipment.

Two Return Trip Data Points
1. Weighing in on the suitability of a Toyota Tacoma with towing package for pulling a 21' Escape performance metrics - When we pulled over Siskyiou Pass 4,300' just outside of Ashland OR on I-5 at a 6-7% grade we pulled at a steady 50 MPH with 3,000 RPM on the engine Tach which was quite adequate to pass all the 18-wheelers and most of the passenger cars. We were quite pleased with Rocky's performance up the grade.
2. Regarding 21' trailer and tongue weights - a weigh- in at the local truck scale yesterday indicated a trailer weight of 4,100 lbs and a tongue weight of 500 lbs. On board equipment was 6 gallons of water, basic kitchen gear, camp setup hoses and cords. We'll add another 2-300 lbs of camp setup gear when we hit the road.
Lastly, and apologies for the extra long post, our transaction with Escape Trailer Industries was positively outstanding!
ETI does what they say they are going to do,when they say say it will happen for the amount contracted for. Stupendous!
Reace and Tammy and their entire crew have our highest recommendation and we are pleased to join the extensive CD-US trans-border ETI fan base.
We are looking forward to seeing many of you at the Osyoyoos Rally in May.
Best Regards
Jim & Judy Tischer
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (116.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (287.6 KB, 85 views)

RV - Escape 21' - "Billie" (Previous RV - 2014 Casita SD 17')
jtischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Congratulations!!! Many happy trails with Billie!

Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Nice rig. And a full season of camping to look forward too!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21
Congratulations on the trailer, and congratulations on getting thru DMV

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Fantastic Post

Jim & Judy, What a fantastic post! Thanks for all the useful information, especially your experiences with CA DMV, your Tacoma, and ETI. Glad you made it home safely too. Enjoy!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Jim, Great post. Welcome to the family!

I've been going back and forth on towing without a WDH like I do in my 19. So I'm thinking from your post, I should fuhgedaboudit?

Greg
Old 03-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Those weights seem high for an almost empty trailer, was the weight 3600 over the axles and 500 on tongue for a total of 4100#
Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #8

Hi CPAharley2008
Per guidance from the Escape Forum, the 500 lb. weight was the trailer tongue only on the truck scale with the trailer leveled up.
The 4100 lb. weight was with the trailer in the center off the scale also leveled up.
As I mentioned in the post the only equipment was as it was delivered from ETI plus the 2 under bed drawers Charley installed, about 6 gallons of liquid in all 3 tanks, pots and pans in the galley and the water/propane hoses. No other camp setup equipment was on board.
We did order the 2nd 6V battery, the 150 watt solar unit from ETI but nothing particularly heavy.
One if the reasons I reported out in some detail was the tare weight of the trailer alone was a bit heavier than I expected.
Any thoughts?
Jim Tischer
Old 03-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #9

Yo Greg
Thanks for the note. I would however suggest you take another look at the WDH as an option.
We too were not sure if it was a good purchase or not but the drive home on beat up I-5 from Chilliwack made me a believer.
The Tacoma and trailer tied together with a WDH makes for an integral rig that is 41'4" long from nose to tail and makes for a much smoother ride than what we were used to with the Casita and the pivot point in between the two pieces of equipment.
The point was driven home yesterday when I drove it over to the DMV for registration and to the truck scale for the weigh in. I had to cross rough railroad tracks twice and go down some roads that are up for repair as in missing pavement and chug holes. The ride was noticeably rougher than our trip down from Canada on I-5.
I-5 through Seattle is pretty rough and every bit the equal of some of our I-5 stretches here in California. We would have been hamburger if not for the WDH.
I may be a recent WDH convert and those are the worst kind, but I can't help but believe that the WDH reduces road trauma on both the truck and trailer because of significant dampening of vibration.
Lastly, and this may be more than you want to know, but I haven't experienced any difficulties with installation of the WDH or backing into place. It works quite well.
We have an electric hitch so it makes installation and removal pretty easy as well as saving my back.
Cheers
Jim
Old 03-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #10

Thanks Marry
We enjoyed our weekend In Chilliwack before the handoff. Stayed at Lynne Goodwin's Riverview B&B with a gorgeous view of the Fraser River valley and surrounding mountains.
For us Californios it was novel to see snow on mountains and get rained on. We loved it!
Regards,
Jim & Judy Tischer