Canada Travel Permit for Americans - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2015, 05:51 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe I missed it, but can't you get your trailer registered and receive plates in your home state based on paperwork ETI can send you? I did here in Oregon, took about 10 minutes total at DMV and believe me Oregon DMV is NOT an easy agency to deal with.

My insurance company has asked me to inform them when I drive out of the US with my truck and/or trailer. They don't charge me anything extra, they just want to know in case there's any issues.
We have not received the paperwork from ETI yet but my impression is that we can not get plates in advance. I am still doing some more checking on that. Of course, you are close compared to us and that may affect what they do there.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some states require an actual inspection and verification of the VIN# before issuing plates, as here in Pennsylvania. Some people will just travel with their paperwork, unregistered on their way back home, without any plates nor issues. One can obtain from Washington State a 3 day transit tag for a nominal fee, via mail. This can then be attached to use while returning to your home state.
As long as you have the required insurance on both the trailer and auto you should be fine while in Canada or US without plates. Crossing the border maybe another issue, but I'm sure it can be done with the ETI supplied paperwork.
Apparently, it is for travel in Washington until you are out of their state, nothing to do with other states you then travel in.
$30 for the 3 days.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:25 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
About a month before our pick up date I received my documents from Tammy with a Bill of Sale and various import documents and maybe a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. These were adequate for my local DMV to issue a metal license plate in advance.
The big issue was the value on which to pay tax. I took a printed conversion sheet from Royal Bank of Canada. If you request it, I think ETI will give you something showing U.S. price.
Make copies of everything before you go. They wanted to keep some of it.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
About a month before our pick up date I received my documents from Tammy with a Bill of Sale and various import documents and maybe a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. These were adequate for my local DMV to issue a metal license plate in advance.
The big issue was the value on which to pay tax. I took a printed conversion sheet from Royal Bank of Canada. If you request it, I think ETI will give you something showing U.S. price.
Make copies of everything before you go. They wanted to keep some of it.
I take it you had paid in full before you received the documents. Or else I don't see how that works for sales tax with no exact amount paid.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I paid the initial deposit then two large amounts in USD that left a small balance after the conversion. I paid that when I got to Chilliwack, but the documents came earlier with the Canadian price showing on the Bill of Sale, as though I had paid in full.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #26

Quote:
I paid the initial deposit then two large amounts in USD that left a small balance after the conversion. I paid that when I got to Chilliwack, but the documents came earlier with the Canadian price showing on the Bill of Sale, as though I had paid in full.
Oh, I see, you were using the Canadian price. We have American and Canadian on our paperwork so far.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some states require an actual inspection and verification of the VIN# before issuing plates, as here in Pennsylvania. Some people will just travel with their paperwork, unregistered on their way back home, without any plates nor issues. One can obtain from Washington State a 3 day transit tag for a nominal fee, via mail. This can then be attached to use while returning to your home state.
As long as you have the required insurance on both the trailer and auto you should be fine while in Canada or US without plates. Crossing the border maybe another issue, but I'm sure it can be done with the ETI supplied paperwork.
That was exactly how it was for us . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I take it you had paid in full before you received the documents. Or else I don't see how that works for sales tax with no exact amount paid.
We were given 20 days before we needed to go to DMV for inspection of trailer and to pay taxes . Plenty of time to get back home . We traveled with papers from Tammy . Highway patrol said , we checked with them before trip, just needed Bill Of Sale and proof of insurance . Like said we made copies of everything just in case and did carry it all . Pat
Old 06-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Exactly the same for us . The balance was paid when we picked up trailer . Pat
Old 06-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That was exactly how it was for us . Pat
Colorado is quite similar. We obtained a temporary (paper) license plate and registration for the trailer based on the ETI paperwork. This worked as expected for the multiple border crossings we did.

On our return I did a visual VIN inspection and paid the Colorado taxes.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
In Kansas they also require a visual inspection and verification of the VIN on a vehicle. And after they do, they relieve you of a nice, crisp 20. My hopes are to get a temporary tag to take with me to Chilliwack. We would like to go back into Canada. Talked to Barb yesterday and set up our orientation for Sept. 10. Also booked a storage place for the trailer. Sent the check and build sheet a month ago so the only things left are the insurance and tags of which the Kansas DMV can be a very sticky situation to deal with. Starting to get excited. Oh, and I need to make a reservation at some campground around Sumas. And take ETI their Kansas flag. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #32

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
We are being told that there is a travel permit purchase requirement for Americans if travelling in Canada with the trailer. $29 CAD per day for BC or $215 for 15 days. Does anyone know about this?

We will not be in BC for long but expect to be in Alberta for a while and Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Is anyone paying for such a permit when crossing the border? Thank you.
Yes, this is to be paid, in cash, directly to me.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote