Canadian Customs Purgatory - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2018, 11:08 PM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And when it comes to beef prices right now, you will! I don't really do the grocery shopping very often in our household, but I did last week. Holy cow the beef prices are ridiculous.
He does like ground beef, but also likes chunks of chicken, other stuff too. He eats about 1 pound a day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:06 AM   #102

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I went through Idaho into BC at a border crossing called Kingsgate (I think) if I remember my route. It was late evening in November and the station had no drive up lane open so I came into the building. The agent asked a few other questions before asking if I had any firearms. I didn't and replied as such and he began to hand my license back until I mentioned the 1200 rounds of 9mm I had with me. License went back the other way and I took a seat and had some coffee for the next half hour.

He did ask me some question about searching my vehicle. I don't remember what he said exactly but I said to search anything in the vehicle he wanted to. All my belongings and the inside of the vehicle were inspected. Turns out, I had too much ammo and was supposed to have to pay a tariff of some kind but the border agent said he was going to save me a few bucks and told me to have a safe trip home.

I did have to repack my gear but all things considered it went fine and the agent was friendly about it all.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #103

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post

Funny now but enlightening then that they really do take that border seriously!
Well, it is an international border. Next week when I cross into your country I do so as a non-resident alien and your gun laws affect me the same way our gun laws affect you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My conversation at the US border today;
Where you headed?
Arizona
How long do you plan to be in the country?
5 weeks or so.

Jim, are you going to be a Quartzsite?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:24 AM   #104

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
I did have to repack my gear but all things considered it went fine and the agent was friendly about it all.
Hm. I wonder why OP's experience was so bad. He's not alone for sure, and I can't blame personal actions, as across both borders, crazy things have happened.

For a story on border miracles: on a medical mission trip to Chiapas, Mexico, I found a half full unidentified, old funky glass multi use injection dosing bottle (like 6-8 oz) buried in the dirt when walking. I stuck it in my empty backpack pocket, which was an unusual/half hidden pocket. I was just going to show the rest of the team bc it was neat. Stupid. Well, I forgot it was there.

I was searched leaving Mexico, they even opened my chip bags: nothing. Something else weird happened upon US entry, can't remember: nothing. My luggage, which happened to be that backpack, got held back somehow, missed a connecting flight or something. It was professionally delivered to my house the next day, covered in a gross brown liquid. I was like well that's great, someone spilled a coke on it. Nope. I smuggled an unknown medication into the US from Mexico, then the glass bottle busted somewhere along the way.

Imagine at any point if someone had found it, do you think they'd like my story of having no clue what it was?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:32 AM   #105

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well, it is an international border. Next week when I cross into your country I do so as a non-resident alien and your gun laws affect me the same way our gun laws affect you.

Ron
I hope I didn't come off as disrespectful. I was just ignorant. I live about as far from the border as you can be, and I just figured that we were friendly, and border crossing was a formality of sorts. Silly I guess, but I was shaken when they didn't believe my innocent intentions. No criticism to border patrol, they don't know me, and it happens at all borders like I said before. Just a strange feeling when you know you have no ill intentions. I realized how little I knew, and I was afraid I'd do something wrong! It was a beautiful drive though!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:05 AM   #106

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Jim, are you going to be a Quartzsite?

Ron

We sure will be. I have planned on it since Greg posted his thread, having wanted to go before. I have not spent time in Arizona before, so will be blindly checking some of it out, and looking forward to it. .

Sure can't be worse than Butte Montana where at 3am they are clearing the fresh snow off the parking lot at Walmart.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 AM   #107

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a reason why they call it Butte......
Old 01-26-2018, 05:24 AM   #108

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And when it comes to beef prices right now, you will! I don't really do the grocery shopping very often in our household, but I did last week. Holy cow the beef prices are ridiculous.
Hi: rbryan4... That'll teach you to buy "Holy cow". We always get the regular tough stuff. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Alright, I am troubled now. My husband has a concealed carry, and my husband and dad together design, oversee manufacturing, and sell firearm silencers.

Seriously, our trip up is going to be to go to the NRA conference in Dallas, where they have a booth, then keep driving to BC. We will bring silencers with us on our trip, and our trip will be a camping adventure sales trip. My husband is a respectable attorney, but they're going to act like he's Rambo.

I NEVER thought about the border. We now have two issues:

1. Where will we store the silencers and assortment of firearms when we go to into Canada?? Get a storage room in the US? My sister lives in Portland, but no-one else can be in possession of the silencers.

2. What the heck is going to happen when he tries to cross? We'll have two dogs and a toddler and we cannot go through this.

How long is the process from entering Canada, orientation, then crossing back? Should I cross without them and do it myself?
FYI...Canada Border Services site on importing firearms.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #110

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Once you obtain a valid state issued permit, that info is input into the NCIS, which the border personnel have access to. Just do not bring any prohibited item with you, simple. They will ask and you will be honest in your reply and all is good. Simple
Old 01-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #111

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I hope I didn't come off as disrespectful. I was just ignorant. I live about as far from the border as you can be, and I just figured that we were friendly, and border crossing was a formality of sorts. Silly I guess, but I was shaken when they didn't believe my innocent intentions. No criticism to border patrol, they don't know me, and it happens at all borders like I said before. Just a strange feeling when you know you have no ill intentions. I realized how little I knew, and I was afraid I'd do something wrong! It was a beautiful drive though!
Since it is their country and their laws we have to follow them same as they do ours. They may know if you have concealed carry, own arms or may just rely on Americans from certain states to have a higher likelihood of being armed or own weapons. Federal travel-with-a-firearm laws do not apply since Canada is not part of the U.S.

The advise given earlier of dropping them off at a place that sells guns may work but you would need to call them before you go.
Since Louisiana and Washington state recognize each others concealed weapons permits you may be allowed to leave items with them. For me that option did not exist as Florida is not recognized so if I had dropped firearms off I would have needed to have them shipped back to an FFL in Florida to get them back.

The best option is no longer available. You used to be able to place items in a lockbox in Sumas at the IGA for $10. There may be another offering a similar service but I do not know who it might be. That was great not only for weapons, folks with booze, wine or maybe even marijuana could leave it and cross without issue.

We opted to leave firearms at home. I do not carry a firearm normally as I feel no need to do so. I do have a concealed weapons permit but mine was picked up to lower the wait if I purchased a weapon.

We were asked if we were carrying arms or ammunition at the border and I told him they were over 3000 miles away. He asked again stating that if they searched and found any it would be a serious problem. To which I again replied they are over 3000 miles away as I am aware of the laws in their country. I was allowed to cross without issue after that. And 2 days later had little problem crossing when we found a problem that needed returning to Escape to fix.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #112

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Alright, I am troubled now. My husband has a concealed carry, and my husband and dad together design, oversee manufacturing, and sell firearm silencers. Seriously, our trip up is going to be to go to the NRA conference in Dallas, where they have a booth, then keep driving to BC. We will bring silencers with us on our trip, and our trip will be a camping adventure sales trip. ? ...
It sounds like what's creating your problem is the post-conference "sales trip" aspect. Couldn't you simply leave the silencers with your father after the NRA conference and just enjoy the "camping adventure" part of your trip to Canada? You wouldn't be able to write your trip North off on your taxes as a business expense that way (which may be your intent), but that's not the end of the world. Our government could use those extra tax dollars.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #113

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
It sounds like what's creating your problem is the post-conference "sales trip" aspect. Couldn't you simply leave the silencers with your father after the NRA conference and just enjoy the "camping adventure" part of your trip to Canada? You wouldn't be able to write your trip North off on your taxes as a business expense that way (which may be your intent), but that's not the end of the world. Our government could use those extra tax dollars.
It may also be because hubby carries since she did mention the concealed weapon permit. If so then he needs to either decide to leave the firearm at home or with dad or find a way to leave it on our side of the border. It is not worth the hassle that would happen if he were to attempt to sneak it through.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #114

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
We sure will be. I have planned on it since Greg posted his thread, having wanted to go before. I have not spent time in Arizona before, so will be blindly checking some of it out, and looking forward to it. .

Sure can't be worse than Butte Montana where at 3am they are clearing the fresh snow off the parking lot at Walmart.
Wow, great news! Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your work on the trailer. Looks like I have to make sure to reserve two Pins/buttons now to welcome our Canadian friends. Ron's and Jim's are on hold.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #115

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
I lied. I missed one question ;
Do you have any fruits or vegetables?
No.

Never even asked us about meat, of which we only had a couple pieces for Jasper. Looks like we shoulda brought a lot more for him, as we get good deals on it. Oh well, gotta support the American economy.
Jim, guess you didn't see the sign when entering the US saying declare all fruit, vegetables and MEAT. It's funny we only ever get asked about fruit and vegs. Sometimes we do take meat over - when going to our son's in Thunder Bay we cut through MN for 45 minutes - never been an issue.

Don't worry about Jasper not getting a treat, there's only one crossing where Patches ever gets a treat, most of the time she is so quiet sitting in the back seat I forget to declare we have a dog, and when we do remember and offer the rabies certificate usually they don't bother looking at it. Now coming into Canada I get more questions about the dog.

Now back to the Adrienne's worry about crossing into Canada. As has been suggested here, find a place for your firearms and you should have no problem crossing. All three of you should go to the orientation. Just ensure you both have passports and birth certificate is OK for your son.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #116

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I may be wrong as it has been since 2015, but at that time the birth certificate no longer was acceptable for the children and we had to have at a minimum passport cards for the adults and the kids.
I grew up just going over the border both north and south with a drivers license or birth certificate but apparently they changed that and I'm assuming it is still that way.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #117
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: rbryan4... That'll teach you to buy "Holy cow". We always get the regular tough stuff. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
You got that right Alf. It's priced like it's sacred here. Not used to that.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #118

Trailer: 2017 19'
Yes please make sure the little one has passport. Passport requirement has been in place since 2009. also good to make sure is the kid's passport is valid since their passport is only good for 5 years...

Also however the arrangement you end up choosing, if you will be crossing the border with one parent and the child, make sure you have minor travel consent paper signed by the other parent.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #119
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The last time I crossed the border into Canada was 2015. I'm law abiding and want to be welcomed back to Canada. I have a concealed weapon purse. Thinking ahead, I bought a new purse to carry into Canada. I didn't want a "sniffer" to find gunpowder in my purse and then question everything I said. It was easy and cheap to do and may have alleviated some issues. All I know is crossing the border was pain-free.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #120

Trailer: 17B
Humm.... Years ago my father- and mother-in-law arrived from where they lived in California in their motor home to our place on Vancouver Island with a Canadian border story: When asked if he had any fire arms he said, "No," of course. The officers pulled them aside for a search and, of course, found his handgun under the driver's seat. My father-in-law was irked because they confiscated it! I did my best to explain but he could not quite understand. LOL He passed away a few years ago and I miss that man.
David Todtman is offline   Reply With Quote