Clarifying/Solidifying Delivery Cost - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21
Clarifying/Solidifying Delivery Cost

Hi Guys,

For those of us without trailers yet, ETI has clarified their delivery costs :

Delivery Schedule

Which is good news. Personally, I don't like unknowns.

The bad news, of course, for us 3000 miles away from ETI is an additional 15 - 20 %(C$ 6000 for me in NC) of the cost of the trailer.

It's getting easier to lobby the Wife for the cross country trip.

I had not seen this change/clarification discussed on any thread, and it appears to be a recent change(Sept. 29th), so just thought I'd let everyone know.

Thanks.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_75 View Post
Hi Guys,

For those of us without trailers yet, ETI has clarified their delivery costs :

Delivery Schedule

Which is good news. Personally, I don't like unknowns.

The bad news, of course, for us 3000 miles away from ETI is an additional 15 - 20 %(C$ 6000 for me in NC) of the cost of the trailer.

It's getting easier to lobby the Wife for the cross country trip.

I had not seen this change/clarification discussed on any thread, and it appears to be a recent change(Sept. 29th), so just thought I'd let everyone know.

Thanks.
Hummm ... If you gave me the choice between spending the extra $4,645 (USD) for delivery or having that available to spend on a cross-country trip with a new trailer, I know what I'd do.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Actually I'm even more confused now. I thought that the per mile delivery charge was only if they were delivering to your home. My understanding at the time that I ordered was that if it was one of their standard delivery runs (ie, Goshen Indiana), that there was a flat $3000 delivery charge, no matter how many trailers were on the delivery truck. Is that no longer true? If not, that is really going to stink. Because I had definitely not planned on a $5-6K delivery charge.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

I just went back through my email with Escape and found the following response that I received on August 3rd about delivery charges: "The cost for delivery to Goshen, IN is $3,000cdn regardless of how many trailers are on the truck. This is a regular route for the delivery company as they often travel to Goshen every three weeks. " So I'm still counting on paying that for delivery, hopefully.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Hummm ... If you gave me the choice between spending the extra $4,645 (USD) for delivery or having that available to spend on a cross-country trip with a new trailer, I know what I'd do.
Poor response. Obviously not everyone can make the trip !
Consider having the trailer delivered to Goshen, IN and pick it up there. We estimated that the cost of pickup from Goshen would be over $2000 USD in 2013 and recent trip confirmed our estimate. We live within 15 miles of Goshen if you need help as a backup plan.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #6

We are in that boat, would love to drive to Chilliwack and pick up our trailer, but in our case, it would be not be an enjoyable trip at all due to still working. So paying them to deliver to Goshen and us pick it up there is definitely our preference at this time.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Cool

I am also in that same boat. Driving to Goshen is about a 7-8hr drive for me. Who knows: maybe I'll hit the Lottery between now and June.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Both of my Escapes were shipped to York,Pa and the costs were split with other owners on the same shipment. In fact, one had not ever owned a trailer and drove up to York to take delivery. We then headed to a local cg where I was able t show them the in/outs of their new unit. Great fun had by all. So think of delivery as an adventure.....you will be having more afterwards.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Poor response. Obviously not everyone can make the trip !
Consider having the trailer delivered to Goshen, IN and pick it up there. We estimated that the cost of pickup from Goshen would be over $2000 USD in 2013 and recent trip confirmed our estimate. We live within 15 miles of Goshen if you need help as a backup plan.
I would not personally label this as a poor response. It was a personal preference no different than should I pay $50,000 for several implants or just get dentures. Or should I buy a new or preowned trailer. Or should I buy a $25,000 Escape or an $18,000 Scamp. I drove from Florida to Ferndale Washington in under 4 days, and could have made it back, towing, in 5 days. I wouldn't pay $6,000 for delivery; I would search for another option. Perhaps find an RVer who is retired who would be willing to make the trip for a lot less.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I would not personally label this as a poor response. It was a personal preference no different than should I pay $50,000 for several implants or just get dentures. Or should I buy a new or preowned trailer. Or should I buy a $25,000 Escape or an $18,000 Scamp. I drove from Florida to Ferndale Washington in under 4 days, and could have made it back, towing, in 5 days. I wouldn't pay $6,000 for delivery; I would search for another option. Perhaps find an RVer who is retired who would be willing to make the trip for a lot less.
So,did you miss the second sentence ? Not everyone can make the trip for one reason or another .
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Gives a retiree something to think about, being paid to camp...
and travel
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
No, I did not miss the second sentence, and I am fully aware of constraints that prevent individuals from doing certain activities. That is why I used the words "another option." Like if you cannot make the trip, you try to find a less expensive way to get the trailer. I chimed in because another member on the forum expressed a personal opinion, and in my personal opinion "poor response" in this case was an inappropriate and overly critical response to that member's post. Perhaps I am being a bit sensitive; it's just that I see so much sniping on the other forum that i would hate to see it here. So can we shake hands and have a virtual beer around the virtual campfire?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
And how much did you pay? Far less than what is being quoted now. I think even $3000 to Goshen is much more expensive than the costs in previous years when someone split with another trailer or two. You did not pay that even to PA, right? The cost of delivery looks like not just an increase but a huge change. Too bad for those who cannot make the trip, which is a lot of people. That is an unfortunate development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Both of my Escapes were shipped to York,Pa and the costs were split with other owners on the same shipment. In fact, one had not ever owned a trailer and drove up to York to take delivery. We then headed to a local cg where I was able t show them the in/outs of their new unit. Great fun had by all. So think of delivery as an adventure.....you will be having more afterwards.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Gives a retiree something to think about, being paid to camp...
and travel
Motorhome manufacturers target retired couples to hire for deliveries around the country. Only downside is that you can't stay in the unit you're delivering; they want you to to stay in a h/motel. Could be fun!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Camper delivery

A former supervisor of mine retired to the Kalamazoo area. After a couple of years, got restless, bought a big dually pickup and took to delivering fifth wheels out of the Elkhart area. He liked it, saw a lot of country and wore out a couple trucks. His next gig has been driving school bus for a small school district. He's about 78 now, greatest ice and snow driver I ever rode with. I don't think it would be for me but I can see the attraction. Perhaps someone who needs a trailer delivered could get one of these guys on a west coast back haul. Where there's a will there is a way.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wouldn't work for me. I usually get out of camp around 10 am and pack it in around 1, after stopping for lunch at noon.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
A former supervisor of mine retired to the Kalamazoo area. After a couple of years, got restless, bought a big dually pickup and took to delivering fifth wheels out of the Elkhart area. He liked it, saw a lot of country and wore out a couple trucks. His next gig has been driving school bus for a small school district. He's about 78 now, greatest ice and snow driver I ever rode with. I don't think it would be for me but I can see the attraction. Perhaps someone who needs a trailer delivered could get one of these guys on a west coast back haul. Where there's a will there is a way.
Dave
Large trailers - such as most fifth-wheels - are too large to reasonably carry on a flatdeck cargo trailer, so they are delivered from factory to dealer this way. The same services are available to individuals who want a trailer delivered anywhere. Costs are substantial, and although there might be some efficiency in a fortuitous backhaul, it will likely still be nearly the Cdn$2 per loaded mile that Escape is quoting. I note that the buyer is only paying one-way, although the carrier will be backhauling empty (not collecting any payment) to Chilliwack or Goshen (depending on the buyer's location).

I suspect that the only way to get a trailer delivered at a much lower price would be to find a carrier with a trailer suitable for carrying two trailers, and share delivery cost with another buyer in the same area who is taking delivery at the same time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Camper delivery

Glen if you picked up for someone in Chilliwack in January, you could make the east coast in about 45 days, just in time for the spring season in the South. A hundred miles a day seems doable with no hauling on the weekends.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I donno. What's for lunch and who's picking up the tab?
Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #20

Trailer: None yet...Dreaming of an Escape!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
And how much did you pay? Far less than what is being quoted now. I think even $3000 to Goshen is much more expensive than the costs in previous years when someone split with another trailer or two. You did not pay that even to PA, right? The cost of delivery looks like not just an increase but a huge change. Too bad for those who cannot make the trip, which is a lot of people. That is an unfortunate development.
I agree! The new cost for delivery will be a game changer for many. For those of us who are still working, a cross country trip for pick up is out of the question. This change in delivery fee may be in part marketing strategy. You have a wonderful product, at a good price that has a huge demand. In fact, demand is almost overwhelming. To get demand back to a manageable level, raise prices. I anticipate seeing price increases for the 2017 models. That, plus the seemingly drastic change in delivery charges might price some folks out of a new Escape. Looking forward to seeing what workarounds are found to buffer the delivery expenses.