Clarifying/Solidifying Delivery Cost - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Trailer: 2016 21
Posts: 57
Clarifying/Solidifying Delivery Cost

Hi Guys,

For those of us without trailers yet, ETI has clarified their delivery costs :

Delivery Schedule

Which is good news. Personally, I don't like unknowns.

The bad news, of course, for us 3000 miles away from ETI is an additional 15 - 20 %(C$ 6000 for me in NC) of the cost of the trailer.

It's getting easier to lobby the Wife for the cross country trip.

I had not seen this change/clarification discussed on any thread, and it appears to be a recent change(Sept. 29th), so just thought I'd let everyone know.

Thanks.
__________________

Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Zardoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Marana, Arizona
Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_75 View Post
Hi Guys,

For those of us without trailers yet, ETI has clarified their delivery costs :

Delivery Schedule

Which is good news. Personally, I don't like unknowns.

The bad news, of course, for us 3000 miles away from ETI is an additional 15 - 20 %(C$ 6000 for me in NC) of the cost of the trailer.

It's getting easier to lobby the Wife for the cross country trip.

I had not seen this change/clarification discussed on any thread, and it appears to be a recent change(Sept. 29th), so just thought I'd let everyone know.



Thanks.
Hummm ... If you gave me the choice between spending the extra $4,645 (USD) for delivery or having that available to spend on a cross-country trip with a new trailer, I know what I'd do.
__________________

__________________
Rich & Mary
"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
- Oscar Wilde
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
GregandTeresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lewisburg, Tennessee
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Posts: 448
Actually I'm even more confused now. I thought that the per mile delivery charge was only if they were delivering to your home. My understanding at the time that I ordered was that if it was one of their standard delivery runs (ie, Goshen Indiana), that there was a flat $3000 delivery charge, no matter how many trailers were on the delivery truck. Is that no longer true? If not, that is really going to stink. Because I had definitely not planned on a $5-6K delivery charge.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
GregandTeresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lewisburg, Tennessee
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Posts: 448
I just went back through my email with Escape and found the following response that I received on August 3rd about delivery charges: "The cost for delivery to Goshen, IN is $3,000cdn regardless of how many trailers are on the truck. This is a regular route for the delivery company as they often travel to Goshen every three weeks. " So I'm still counting on paying that for delivery, hopefully.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N/A, Indiana
Trailer: Escape
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Hummm ... If you gave me the choice between spending the extra $4,645 (USD) for delivery or having that available to spend on a cross-country trip with a new trailer, I know what I'd do.
Poor response. Obviously not everyone can make the trip !
Consider having the trailer delivered to Goshen, IN and pick it up there. We estimated that the cost of pickup from Goshen would be over $2000 USD in 2013 and recent trip confirmed our estimate. We live within 15 miles of Goshen if you need help as a backup plan.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
GregandTeresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lewisburg, Tennessee
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Posts: 448
We are in that boat, would love to drive to Chilliwack and pick up our trailer, but in our case, it would be not be an enjoyable trip at all due to still working. So paying them to deliver to Goshen and us pick it up there is definitely our preference at this time.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
titanizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ashland City, Tennessee
Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Posts: 256
Cool

I am also in that same boat. Driving to Goshen is about a 7-8hr drive for me. Who knows: maybe I'll hit the Lottery between now and June.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,664
Both of my Escapes were shipped to York,Pa and the costs were split with other owners on the same shipment. In fact, one had not ever owned a trailer and drove up to York to take delivery. We then headed to a local cg where I was able t show them the in/outs of their new unit. Great fun had by all. So think of delivery as an adventure.....you will be having more afterwards.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Somewhere, Florida
Trailer: 1804 Schooner
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Poor response. Obviously not everyone can make the trip !
Consider having the trailer delivered to Goshen, IN and pick it up there. We estimated that the cost of pickup from Goshen would be over $2000 USD in 2013 and recent trip confirmed our estimate. We live within 15 miles of Goshen if you need help as a backup plan.
I would not personally label this as a poor response. It was a personal preference no different than should I pay $50,000 for several implants or just get dentures. Or should I buy a new or preowned trailer. Or should I buy a $25,000 Escape or an $18,000 Scamp. I drove from Florida to Ferndale Washington in under 4 days, and could have made it back, towing, in 5 days. I wouldn't pay $6,000 for delivery; I would search for another option. Perhaps find an RVer who is retired who would be willing to make the trip for a lot less.
__________________
“Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore’......” E. A. Poe
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N/A, Indiana
Trailer: Escape
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I would not personally label this as a poor response. It was a personal preference no different than should I pay $50,000 for several implants or just get dentures. Or should I buy a new or preowned trailer. Or should I buy a $25,000 Escape or an $18,000 Scamp. I drove from Florida to Ferndale Washington in under 4 days, and could have made it back, towing, in 5 days. I wouldn't pay $6,000 for delivery; I would search for another option. Perhaps find an RVer who is retired who would be willing to make the trip for a lot less.
So,did you miss the second sentence ? Not everyone can make the trip for one reason or another .
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,664
Gives a retiree something to think about, being paid to camp...
and travel
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Somewhere, Florida
Trailer: 1804 Schooner
Posts: 1,642
No, I did not miss the second sentence, and I am fully aware of constraints that prevent individuals from doing certain activities. That is why I used the words "another option." Like if you cannot make the trip, you try to find a less expensive way to get the trailer. I chimed in because another member on the forum expressed a personal opinion, and in my personal opinion "poor response" in this case was an inappropriate and overly critical response to that member's post. Perhaps I am being a bit sensitive; it's just that I see so much sniping on the other forum that i would hate to see it here. So can we shake hands and have a virtual beer around the virtual campfire?
__________________
“Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore’......” E. A. Poe
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
And how much did you pay? Far less than what is being quoted now. I think even $3000 to Goshen is much more expensive than the costs in previous years when someone split with another trailer or two. You did not pay that even to PA, right? The cost of delivery looks like not just an increase but a huge change. Too bad for those who cannot make the trip, which is a lot of people. That is an unfortunate development.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Both of my Escapes were shipped to York,Pa and the costs were split with other owners on the same shipment. In fact, one had not ever owned a trailer and drove up to York to take delivery. We then headed to a local cg where I was able t show them the in/outs of their new unit. Great fun had by all. So think of delivery as an adventure.....you will be having more afterwards.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Zardoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Marana, Arizona
Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Gives a retiree something to think about, being paid to camp...
and travel
Motorhome manufacturers target retired couples to hire for deliveries around the country. Only downside is that you can't stay in the unit you're delivering; they want you to to stay in a h/motel. Could be fun!
__________________
Rich & Mary
"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
- Oscar Wilde
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,331
Camper delivery

A former supervisor of mine retired to the Kalamazoo area. After a couple of years, got restless, bought a big dually pickup and took to delivering fifth wheels out of the Elkhart area. He liked it, saw a lot of country and wore out a couple trucks. His next gig has been driving school bus for a small school district. He's about 78 now, greatest ice and snow driver I ever rode with. I don't think it would be for me but I can see the attraction. Perhaps someone who needs a trailer delivered could get one of these guys on a west coast back haul. Where there's a will there is a way.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,773
Wouldn't work for me. I usually get out of camp around 10 am and pack it in around 1, after stopping for lunch at noon.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
A former supervisor of mine retired to the Kalamazoo area. After a couple of years, got restless, bought a big dually pickup and took to delivering fifth wheels out of the Elkhart area. He liked it, saw a lot of country and wore out a couple trucks. His next gig has been driving school bus for a small school district. He's about 78 now, greatest ice and snow driver I ever rode with. I don't think it would be for me but I can see the attraction. Perhaps someone who needs a trailer delivered could get one of these guys on a west coast back haul. Where there's a will there is a way.
Dave
Large trailers - such as most fifth-wheels - are too large to reasonably carry on a flatdeck cargo trailer, so they are delivered from factory to dealer this way. The same services are available to individuals who want a trailer delivered anywhere. Costs are substantial, and although there might be some efficiency in a fortuitous backhaul, it will likely still be nearly the Cdn$2 per loaded mile that Escape is quoting. I note that the buyer is only paying one-way, although the carrier will be backhauling empty (not collecting any payment) to Chilliwack or Goshen (depending on the buyer's location).

I suspect that the only way to get a trailer delivered at a much lower price would be to find a carrier with a trailer suitable for carrying two trailers, and share delivery cost with another buyer in the same area who is taking delivery at the same time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,331
Camper delivery

Glen if you picked up for someone in Chilliwack in January, you could make the east coast in about 45 days, just in time for the spring season in the South. A hundred miles a day seems doable with no hauling on the weekends.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,773
I donno. What's for lunch and who's picking up the tab?
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Trailer: None yet...Dreaming of an Escape!
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
And how much did you pay? Far less than what is being quoted now. I think even $3000 to Goshen is much more expensive than the costs in previous years when someone split with another trailer or two. You did not pay that even to PA, right? The cost of delivery looks like not just an increase but a huge change. Too bad for those who cannot make the trip, which is a lot of people. That is an unfortunate development.
I agree! The new cost for delivery will be a game changer for many. For those of us who are still working, a cross country trip for pick up is out of the question. This change in delivery fee may be in part marketing strategy. You have a wonderful product, at a good price that has a huge demand. In fact, demand is almost overwhelming. To get demand back to a manageable level, raise prices. I anticipate seeing price increases for the 2017 models. That, plus the seemingly drastic change in delivery charges might price some folks out of a new Escape. Looking forward to seeing what workarounds are found to buffer the delivery expenses.
__________________

__________________
Denise
A 17B is in my Dreams.
Winelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×