Commenting on Classified ads (continued) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 17b
Commenting on Classified ads (continued)

I have to second what Lyle wrote above. If you use what a new one costs as your base price, you're out of the ballpark, because yours isn't new, even if you then depreciate it accordingly.

I'm in the position of wanting a used one to save money, but will instead buy new if I have to pay the kind of prices people are asking for used, as it's not that much more, and then I get the options I want. Sure, Escapes are popular, but so is having money in your pocket.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Content removed/Edited based on a good point made by a fellow forum member. Your price is your price.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

I think that's also a number I might consider for that trailer, though even that seems a bit high, considering I could be in a new 2015 for $22,500 w/o any options at all if I were really watching my pennies, and maybe add some options later (AC).

Problem with options is that not everyone wants what you do, so some aren't going to have a good return, if any return at all. As a non-TV watcher, any option that involves TV is of no interest to me - that sort of thing.

One can argue that new ones aren't available, but they are - in February of 2015 I could have a new 17er and maybe sooner, if someone were to cancel their order, which happens. That's really not that far off.

So, for the same price as this used trailer (24,000) I could have a new one with 1,500 worth of options.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
I think that's also a number I might consider for that trailer, though even that seems a bit high, considering I could be in a new 2015 for $22,500 w/o any options at all if I were really watching my pennies, and maybe add some options later (AC).

Problem with options is that not everyone wants what you do, so some aren't going to have a good return, if any return at all. As a non-TV watcher, any option that involves TV is of no interest to me - that sort of thing.

One can argue that new ones aren't available, but they are - in February of 2015 I could have a new 17er and maybe sooner, if someone were to cancel their order, which happens. That's really not that far off.

So, for the same price as this used trailer (24,000) I could have a new one with 1,500 worth of options.
You want me to cancel my order so you can buy mine?....he he...just kidding!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As others have mentioned, the price you are going to get is what someone is willing to pay. There are many variables - quantity available in your area, distance from Chilliwack & wait times (for an Escape), condition, time of year, brand, etc.

Your starting price is fine if you are willing to wait for a buyer that meets all the variables, but will probably have to do what they do with real estate - start dropping the price until you find the selling price, if you want a quick sale.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You want me to cancel my order so you can buy mine?....he he...just kidding!
PM me if you're really maybe not kidding.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Some of you folk need to back off a bit. This is a For Sale Forum, and not meant for discussing pricing, ESPECIALLY if you are not interested in buying this trailer. Price discussions are best done by PM or email.

It is because of threads like this, getting drawn astray, and reducing the chance of the sale happening, that at FGRV we implemented the no discussing of pricing at all on the thread, only queries about the particulars of the unit for sale (we do try to police this, but the odd no-no slips by us). It is up to any buyer to educate themselves on what a good price point would be, and discuss privately with the seller on their knowledge.

Some forums even go so far as to allow zero discussion on the listing, no different than selling on Kijiji, or Craig's List.

Well, this is my personal opinion on it anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Jon, the wife and I are really enjoying reading your travel blog, and seeing the well done photos. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, this is my personal opinion on it anyway.
And a good one it is as I was getting increasingly uncomfortable with the way the thread was heading...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Near as i can tell, there is no rule on this forum about commenting on price. I can't find any rule anyway.
I found the comments on pricing reasonable, thought out and not out of line. On the other hand, I'd probably pull the ad if I were the OP and re-submit it later under a new heading.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Near as i can tell, there is no rule on this forum about commenting on price. I can't find any rule anyway.
I found the comments on pricing reasonable, thought out and not out of line. On the other hand, I'd probably pull the ad if I were the OP and re-submit it later under a new heading.
True, but being a newbie here, I'll defer to the long time posters, and if anything offends, it's easier to just remove it. Sometimes my "advice" can turn into something entirely different. I hate it when that happens!...lol
Old 07-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We amended the Community Rules at FGRV to reflect what I posted about. The basis of them is pretty much the same on both sites. I had looked, and the only 'Rule' regarding classifieds here is.

Classifieds are NOT to be used for off topic chatter or general discussions about a buyer or sellers ad but are intended for posts directly related to questions about the item for sale or trade.

But, just because it is not in the rules does not exclude one from extending a general courtesy either.

If someone started a thread on how to price a trailer, I would agree that the comments would be warranted. But, not on a thread like this where a trailer is listed for sale. That is being unfair to the seller. I too would relist, and hope that only those truly interested in purchasing will comment.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #13

I await hearing from the OP and others on the site team.
I will admit that I have no idea what forum a thread is posted in because I don't view the forum that way. I click on any thread that is in bold under "Recent Discussions". In other words any post I haven't already read. That takes me to the first unread in that thread.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I will admit that I have no idea what forum a thread is posted in because I don't view the forum that way. I click on any thread that is in bold under "Recent Discussions". In other words any post I haven't already read. That takes me to the first unread in that thread.
I do the same, but the "breadcrumb trail" near the top of the page shows the forum context. If the rules for responding (or moderating) vary by sub-forum, then that's where to check.

For this thread:
Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Escape RVs for Sale and Wanted > For Sale 2012 17b
I have considered the context for similar purposes in the past. In this case, the original poster seemed willing (even volunteered) to discuss pricing; however, in hindsight, I think it would be reasonable if he chose to re-post the ad.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #15

My philosophy in moderating this forum is to let the members work it out for themselves. And for the most part that works. Have to ban the occasional spammer. We're a bunch of reasonable adults, I find.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
OK, so what's it take to get more interest in this sweet trailer? Do I need to discuss price? Offer to deliver? Or is everyone shopping for 19s and up these days? It would nice to get it in someone's hands during the main camping season, although in California that's pretty much all year.
sounds to me like the poster is inviting ideas.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
sounds to me like the poster is inviting ideas.
That's how I took it as well. I'm new here, but am shopping for a 17B, so was very interested in this thread. It's been informative for me...
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If someone started a thread on how to price a trailer, I would agree that the comments would be warranted.

But, not on a thread like this where a trailer is listed for sale. That is being unfair to the seller.
I view it as a benefit that ads can be placed, hopefully where the most potential buyers are. But the way this thread has gone makes me wonder how I'd feel if it was my ad. I think I'd feel the same way as if I had a for sale sign at my house and a potential buyer was standing there looking at my trailer and then, a few people come by and start making negative comments about the worth of the trailer.

So, all in all, I'd be happy to see a "don't shoot down someone's ad" policy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

So, all in all, I'd be happy to see a "don't shoot down someone's ad" policy.

Ron
Haven't seen it here, but I note that over on FGRV that some "for sale" ads have been tagged by members as scams.
Who decides what is "fair comment"?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Personally, as a new member here I was unaware of the "no discussing pricing" courtesy. It already seemd to be an ongoing conversation on this thread.

Some forums have that strict rule others don't. Many post in threads here offer encouragement to sellers and positive discussion of their ads. I know I have withheld comment on at least one unit that was being discussed favourably when I knew there were problems with it from my personal research. No discussion should mean no discussion of any type.

I will gladly extend that courtesy in the future if that is what community standards are.