Credit Union requesting Escape submit MSRP - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Credit Union requesting Escape submit MSRP

We thought we had everything in place to finance a portion of our 19', but our credit union is requesting Escape submit their MSRP. This is a bit confusing and they are aware that Escape is the manufacturer. Barb from Escape is waiting for my response, too. Has anyone else had this experience and what did your financial company end up doing?

P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
There are no dealers in this case so that would not apply, I would think.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Have you shown them the build sheet? It is ETI's price, not suggested, it is what it is.
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
We thought we had everything in place to finance a portion of our 19', but our credit union is requesting Escape submit their MSRP. This is a bit confusing and they are aware that Escape is the manufacturer. Barb from Escape is waiting for my response, too. Has anyone else have this experience and what did your financial company end up doing?

There is no MSRP. The price is the price. MSRP is a dealer thing, and Escape sells direct. Its hard for some finance companies to wrap their head around such a simple concept, because the vast majority of vehicles they finance are through a dealer. Just submit the build sheet, and that's the retail price. We spent a couple of hours and several phone calls "educating" our lender.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
And then they might have to figure out that ETI's prices are in Canadian dollars and with today's exchange rate your US dollars will be about 20% less. I'm just waiting for the Kansas DMV to want to charge sales tax on Canadian dollars. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
P&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
And then they might have to figure out that ETI's prices are in Canadian dollars and with today's exchange rate your US dollars will be about 20% less. I'm just waiting for the Kansas DMV to want to charge sales tax on Canadian dollars. Loren
In another post somewhere I read one DMV took the owner's word for the exchange rate. Let us know what happens, Loren and Cathy.

Thanks everyone for the quick response. You have given us good ideas on how to approach our credit union.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
My successful technique was to take a printed page of the calculation of your Canadian price as converted to U.S. dollars by an official seeming website such as Royal Bank of Canada.
The scholars at the DMV were baffled by the whole concept, and the piece of paper gave them something to accept "for the auditors".
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
P&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
My successful technique was to take a printed page of the calculation of your Canadian price as converted to U.S. dollars by an official seeming website such as Royal Bank of Canada.
The scholars at the DMV were baffled by the whole concept, and the piece of paper gave them something to accept "for the auditors".
That brings to mind a story from many years ago. Those days I didn't have a credit card and my ID was limited to a paper employment card and my driver's license. The grocery store needed another ID to take my check. The next day I typed a bogus number on my employment card. From that day forward I never had a problem with a vendor taking my check. Funny that having an answer, not matter how accurate it is, could be the solution.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
That brings to mind a story from many years ago. Those days I didn't have a credit card and my ID was limited to a paper employment card and my driver's license. The grocery store needed another ID to take my check. The next day I typed a bogus number on my employment card. From that day forward I never had a problem with a vendor taking my check. Funny that having an answer, not matter how accurate it is, could be the solution.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull-well, you know. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
P&L

Quote:
We thought we had everything in place to finance a portion of our 19', but our credit union is requesting Escape submit their MSRP. This is a bit confusing and they are aware that Escape is the manufacturer. Barb from Escape is waiting for my response, too. Has anyone else had this experience and what did your financial company end up doing?

Well, Well. Our credit union asked for the MSRP but when they had to wait more than five days (due to the past rally) they went ahead and processed the remaining loan, but gave us $$ in Canadian funds, probably because they are only financing about 1/3 of the trailer cost. We will get a refund and use it to fund the tax payment.

If we can pass on any useful information: Shop around if you are getting a loan. Our local credit union is 4%, Costco was 9%, and our other credit union and bank was a personal loan of 21%. We couldn't believe the varying rates.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Our local credit union is 4%, Costco was 9%, and our other credit union and bank was a personal loan of 21%. We couldn't believe the varying rates.

We went through Costco which in turned used Essex Credit. Our rate was 3.49%, not 9.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #12
P&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We went through Costco which in turned used Essex Credit. Our rate was 3.49%, not 9.
I saw that on one of your earlier posts that you did go through Costco and we contacted them as a result. I think it depends on where you live and who they use as the broker. Anyway, you got a great rate!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I saw that on one of your earlier posts that you did go through Costco and we contacted them as a result. I think it depends on where you live and who they use as the broker. Anyway, you got a great rate!

You're right that the rates can vary widely. You did the right thing -- shopped around. I just can't see why bank A would expect you to pay a high rate when bank B has a low one. I think many of them still haven't grasped that there's a thing called the Internet.