Current Recommendations for Banks with no ATM fees - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #21

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Bad thing with a debit card is little or no protection from any fraud. Not sure how many of you know who Clark Howard is but he hates debit cards because of that one reason.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
We have had our debit cards hacked several times, it used to be twice a year. We have never once been assessed any fine, $50 down payment, nothing for having our debit card number stolen. Yes, I heard Clark Howard expound on this subject, this just has not happened for us. Since the chips went into credit and debit cards we have not experienced any cloning. In Antigua one year, the inside the bank ATM had a skimmer installed, the bank went out of business 6 months later, so suspect it was an inside job.

As to why we use a debit card, we used to travel 6 months a year, overseas, without returning home. There is no way we could have carried that much cash. It is much easier to keep track of one's checking account balance with a debit card than the credit card. We still travel 2 or more months at a time away from home, sometimes out of the country. Carrying several thousand in cash just is unreasonable.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I must have at least a half dozen credit cards and use one one month and then switch to another while I pay off the prior months balance. Because of rotation, I keep getting good offers on transfers or no interest for 18 month offers. So when we travel I'll use a special offer and then pay off the trip, interest free over 6-12 months. I have no debit cars and may carry $100 cash at all times. I also use a no foreign fee card while in Canada.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Never owned a debit card and never will, just for all the reasons mentioned above. I think for many they would have more money if they didn't have one to flop out all the time. I laugh when I see people paying for a drink with a credit card and I'm talking about a $2.00 cold drink.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm one of those people who never carries cash. I find if I have to whip out a card to pay for something, the movement alone makes me go... hummm. I also don't buy chewing gum, Slurpee's, soda or typically eat fast food. Trying to balance my 'checkbook' is easier too when looking at statements versus wads of cash receipts. I suppose when I really start traveling, that will change. But when always shopping at the same grocery stores and service stations, etc. I love my cards! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I’m starting to pay more and more with my phone, and faster to pay that way for a drink then take out cash and wait for change. As long as they don’t cut my finger off and steal my phone probably safer way to do things.
FYI, that new MCDs app is truly an amazing thing when traveling. You never have to see the inside. Order on your way in, finish and pay when you arrive and tell them to bring it to your car. Off you go with your Quarter Pounder.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Bad thing with a debit card is little or no protection from any fraud.
My bank card (which works for debit purchases and ATM transactions) was defrauded a few years ago - money was withdrawn from my account at an ATM. I never lost physical possession of my card, so they must have duplicated the card and read my PIN while I was making a purchase. The bank refunded everything. I don't see any lack of protection from fraud, compared to a credit card. Note: this was a Canadian bank - banking practices in Canada and the U.S. are substantially different.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I laugh when I see people paying for a drink with a credit card and I'm talking about a $2.00 cold drink.
Why laugh? Why is this frustrating to you?

They're paying no fee, so it costs them exactly the same as it would if they paid cash. By using the card they reduce the need to go to an ATM and get cash. Their purchase is listed in the card statement, so they know where they spent their money. Since almost nothing is exactly $2, they avoid accumulating bit of change (a couple pennies? a nickel?) as garbage in their pockets. If they use contactless payment ("tap") the transaction is probably faster and so delays the next customer (you?) less than digging out cash and making change. The retailer even avoids handling cash, which has a tendency to "evaporate" from tills.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think you'll be reimbursed if you use a lousy PIN, like your birthday, or if you write it down and carry it in your wallet with the card. My PIN was generated by the bank, so I feel quite safe.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i never had an issue getting reimbursed with a debt card and they never stipulated i need a better pin number mine is probably crummy
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yea i just started using my phone to pay at the grocery it just auto showed up on my phone asked if i wanted to pay ...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My bank card (which works for debit purchases and ATM transactions) was defrauded a few years ago - money was withdrawn from my account at an ATM. I never lost physical possession of my card, so they must have duplicated the card and read my PIN while I was making a purchase. The bank refunded everything. I don't see any lack of protection from fraud, compared to a credit card. Note: this was a Canadian bank - banking practices in Canada and the U.S. are substantially different.
I agree with you that most banks seem to reimburse money removed from your account fraudulently with a debit card. The main difference is until you catch it and start the process that money is gone from your checking account and if bills are scheduled to hit or checks written things start to bounce.
With the fraudulent charge on the credit card it does not affect anything but an inflated ccard balance until the fraud is reported and then subsequently removed.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
With the fraudulent charge on the credit card it does not affect anything but an inflated ccard balance until the fraud is reported and then subsequently removed.

I just got my renewed credit card. $29 charge for going over the credit limit and the interest rate increases to 29.99 per cent. One more reason to never carry a balance.
I put electronics on credit for the increased warranty. Most everything else goes on debit.
And, I see both chequing account withdrawals and credit card charges by checking my accounts on line.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #33

In the US, credit card fraud is covered for anything in excess of $50, as long as it is reported. Debit card withdraws are not until the error is caught and the bank is notified. See here for description of the differences:
https://www.diffen.com/difference/Cr..._vs_Debit_Card
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ges-29654.html
Old 02-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I agree with you that most banks seem to reimburse money removed from your account fraudulently with a debit card. The main difference is until you catch it and start the process that money is gone from your checking account and if bills are scheduled to hit or checks written things start to bounce.
A while back I opened a second checking account to be used solely for paying bills. I transfer money into it each month automatically for automatic bill payments and I have a checkbook linked to it. When I write a check I transfer the check amount from my main checking account to this one. My debit card remains linked to my main checking account for day-to-day purchases. This seems to be working alright.

So if my debit card gets hacked again, at least I won't bounce any checks or miss any automatic bill payments. That's not the main reason I opened the second account, but it is an added benefit.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I use one credit card for most of my purchases and pay off the balance every month. I searched for what card would give me the most rewards based on my usage (i get 2% cash back on all purchases, some months a bonus of 2-3% on certain category of things). It's easy for me to look on line at my account and see what I've spent money on, plus also like if I'm travelling and they get a charge some where I'm normally not at they send me a text confirming its me.
About the only thing I use an ATM for is to withdraw cash and that's probably less than 3 times a year.

I would also suggest you check a small local branch near you, I've had TO MANY issues with the big banks, you ask my opinion one of the worst companies in any industry is Wachovia. With technology and some laws today small local banks can offer you many things the big ones can, one thing I get is free ATM anywhere even though don't to that much, they also gave me a check reader to make deposits or today you get just send them picture of check.
I have also learned another good place to bank is credit unions especially for loans, 90% of the time they can offer a better rate then any bank. I would do all my banking with a credit union but most will not do business accounts.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #36

I believe Wachovia was taken over by Wells Fargo which is another Big 8 bank that needs to be avoided. I agree, your best service is now with credit unions, particularly local ones.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Question n I think it’s been answered before but can and or how does one open an bank account t in Canada. Momma n me plan on exploring parts of Canada and would like to have an account up there
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I would do all my banking with a credit union but most will not do business accounts.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Navy Federal Credit Union will handle business accounts. I asked about this in my local branch yesterday. Current and former members of the U.S. military and DoD civilians are eligible for NFCU membership, but I don't know the details.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #39

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Why laugh? Why is this frustrating to you? They're paying no fee, so it costs them exactly the same as it would if they paid cash.
Not quite true. When a cash customer purchased something they pay x amount. When I purchase something I pay x-1.5 and as much as x-5% less because I get cash back. If the merchant has a minimum credit card purchase, I walk away because the item I would be purchasing is most likely something I don't need and shouldn't consume anyway. Additional benefits are tracking every purchase, security, less cash to carry around and purchase protection. My balance is paid off monthly by autopay so that free me from that task too.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Question n I think it’s been answered before but can and or how does one open an bank account t in Canada. Momma n me plan on exploring parts of Canada and would like to have an account up there
You may not be able to without a resident address plus all kinds of alarms go off when you check "Yes" on your tax return when asked "Do you have any foreign bank accounts"..............think ahead.