Current Recommendations for Banks with no ATM fees - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Current Recommendations for Banks with no ATM fees

I'm loving it so much on the road, I plan to stay out more time then I'm in! I'm shopping for a new bank. Looking for one with good mobile banking, no ATM fees and is federally insured. I just really need a checking account with debit card for ATM withdrawals but don't want to pay ATM fees. I currently have a Scottrade brokerage abd checking account for my travel fund, but I'm not thrilled now that they've been taken over by Ameritrade TD Bank and looking to see what else is out there. Anyone have a bank they love that's easy to use while on the road?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
I have both a Capital One Mastercard & checking account. They reimburse all ATM fees (not just a couple per month), no charges, and .06% interest. The credit card returns 1.5% cash back. Excellent website & registers, and fast, english speaking phone help. I've never been to one of heir banks - everything was done on line.

Plus, they let me put one of my photos on the credit card!

Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I went with Discover Bank and am satisfied with them.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Capital One credit card is one of the best. I especially like the app giving me almost immediate notification when a charge has been made. Also, they will question duplicate and foreign charges and anything suspicious. No foreign fees.

One trick with ATM's, you have to be careful with privately owned ones. I only use ATM's located in a bank building or clearly labelled with a bank name I recognize. Not sure how fee reimbursement with a private machine will work.

An important feature would be the amount of money that can be deposited via a remote deposit or scanned check. Many new accounts limit this, some have a sliding scale that increases based on the age of your account. Some limit the number per month or total amount per month. I am a bit familiar with TD and I thought theirs were very restrictive on new accounts.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Capital One credit card is one of the best. I especially like the app giving me almost immediate notification when a charge has been made. Also, they will question duplicate and foreign charges and anything suspicious. No foreign fees.

One trick with ATM's, you have to be careful with privately owned ones. I only use ATM's located in a bank building or clearly labelled with a bank name I recognize. Not sure how fee reimbursement with a private machine will work.

An important feature would be the amount of money that can be deposited via a remote deposit or scanned check. Many new accounts limit this, some have a sliding scale that increases based on the age of your account. Some limit the number per month or total amount per month. I am a bit familiar with TD and I thought theirs were very restrictive on new accounts.
I haven't had problems with private ATM reimbursements from Capital (even a $4.50 fee at one). Like most major bank credit cards, the Capital MasterCard does not work at most credit union machines. I did forget to mention no additional charge when used in Canada, and a good exchange rate. Gee, I sound like an ad! (But I have other cards, and this one is the best).
Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Thank you for the recommendations!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Keep enough money in your accounts and you get a lot of free services, I have never used a ATM and don't plan to and I don't text either, so don't text me. Yes I do have an iPhone, I'm not the set in my ways.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19' Oct '18 towed by 2008 Jeep GC diesel, 1980 Tayana Vancouver 42, sold Jan 2019
Send a message via Skype™ to Upfisk
We use a credit union. Most everything is free; bill pay checking, transfers to another bank, transfers to our brokerage acct, notary services, warnings about balance that are settable by us. We do pay "foreign" ATM fees and the fees are not refundable. When overseas we went inside the back for cash advances for no fees. We do have to call the CU when we head to Mexico or Canada or other countries in the past. We travel frequently, pay most of our bills by bill pay, get our bills online, not in the mail, and it generally works.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
According to Quicken, I paid $177.04 in ATM fees in 2017, $49.67 in 2018. This was from using a Bank of America debit card at non-BOA ATMs. Hmm-- I need to pay more attention to this.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #10

Trailer: TBD
I'm asking this question out of ignorance, not as a criticism. I seldom use an ATM, maybe two or three times a decade. I always use a credit card for every purchase possible and just carry a couple of hundred cash while on the road. So my question is, what is the necessity of routine use of an ATM.